CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignatures

Best investment5310

Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Investment?
I love that word.

1st of all. Invest in what you like.

If you are looking to make a quick buck, go get yourself a lottery ticket.

I remember when I 1st started collecting, I was dropping $70 a week on books.
Now I am stuck with a bunch of short boxes of stuff I can't get rid of.
I wisen'd up.

My investment NOW is in Carol Danvers books and items. I buy CAROL stuff because she is clearly my favorite character, not because I see the $$ signs. I could go *invest* in other things, but then I am going to lose interest, (read the post I am losing interest) My collection keeps me interested and hungry.

What else do I collect? Street Fighter books (all sorts) and I think I'm going to start collecting FANTOMEX. Anyhoo those are things I love, and I am not going to kick myself down the road and say, why did I drop $ on this junk.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Comicnewbie private msg quote post Address this user
@Logan510 He reads them and keeps them. When we go to the comic store he has his favorites but he will buy ( yes he buys with his allowance money ) anything that catches his eye. It not unusual for him to pick out 5-10 a trip. Some he will want the next issue, some he won't.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Gabriel85301. My kid is 8. It's all for him. Again, I was/am looking for 1 book that will hold or increase its value so that in 5 yrs or 10 years, whatever he wants, he has money to purchase something he may want whatever it is. I would never consider buying these books for him now a waste of money. He enjoys it immensely. We are talking reasonable amounts spent here. Not small fortunes.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicnewbie
@BigRedOne1944 Thanks for your input. The investment I am talking about here is for him to use any monies obtained from a sale of an "investment grade book" and reinvest into something he may be interested in at that time. Whatever that may be. A good lesson for sure. As far as me making a more responsible adult decision about MY finances for MY sons future WE are doing well in that department thank you. I'm talking discretionary funds here. Not 10's of thousands of dollars spent on a hobby he may lose interest in. Please don't insult people here. It's all about fun.

My apologies if you were offended by my comments, as that was surely not my intent.

You are correct.... "Its all about fun" More often than not, once the word "Investment" enters the equation the "Fun" is often times replaced by disappointment. I don't think anybody here is making a personal attack on you, but you did specifically ask for advice on "Investing" in Comics in order that your son may reinvest. Sometimes the best advice is often not the most popular.

I certainly would never discourage anybody from the hobby, But I think one may be better served to start by just spending that first couple hundred dollars on some cheaper reader books before jumping into any higher dollar books. I would also agree that if you do decide to progress to any kind of higher dollar books, it should older books(Silver Age Spiderman). First and foremost it should be fun, before Investment.

Best of luck

OUT
John
Post 29 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 Thank you
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicnewbie
@Gabriel85301. My kid is 8. It's all for him. Again, I was/am looking for 1 book that will hold or increase its value so that in 5 yrs or 10 years, whatever he wants, he has money to purchase something he may want whatever it is. I would never consider buying these books for him now a waste of money. He enjoys it immensely. We are talking reasonable amounts spent here. Not small fortunes.

Great. I wish I could have kids to do the same.

YOU SIR ARE A ROCKSTAR for what you are doing.

While you are at it, Teach him also about setting up a savings bank account and how to manage it.
He can do simple chores to add to his allowance. Teach him to put 20-25% away in his account, how to make the deposits, etc.

You can also teach him the valuable lessons of saving up for another book, or getting his weekly pick and what not.

You are awesome.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@Gabriel85301. He actually watches mad money with me and has, and this is a guess as to the exact amounts, .012 of a bitcoin and 1.25 of ethereum. He does have a savings acct. and whatever he doesn't spend of his allowance and all monetary gifts from relatives go into said account. He is a star pitcher on his baseball team, a terrific little golfer and maybe one of the worlds worst hoops players but he enjoys it so he plays. Also thank you for the kind words.
Post 32 IP   flag post
It sounds like you are going about it the right way in letting the boy spend his allowance on some books he likes. The innocent bond and simple act of buying some comic books with his dad, will be a memory that he will have that will far out pace any "Investment" at this point.

If you feel he will have interest in the near future, then yes looking for a more "serious" book is exciting and fun. When I talk to younger kids about comics I try to use the word "Valuable" or "More Valuable" as opposed to "Investment"

I like Silver Age Amazing Spiderman books under #100

For more modern Books I like these as I think younger collectors will be drawn to them in the future.

Post 33 IP   flag post
BigRedOne1944. I will look into them thank you very much. I will also be looking at the fore mentioned ASM 129.
Post 34 IP   flag post
ASM #129 is no doubt a Super Key book and one I would love to have myself.

On the other hand it is already super expensive even in nice mid-grades (8.0-9.0)

The thing with me is that the book seems to be very plentiful and Im not to sure how much more upside there can be with it.

Also beware there is a reprint version of the book out there.

I like to look for books that I feel are some what over looked and under valued.

Here are a few I think have more possible upside than ASM #129 and while they can get pricy as well they can still be had for much less than ASM #129. Of coarse this is just my opinion and Im sure many will likely disagree and or Pro/Con

There is no more central character in ASM than Mary Jane Watson and this is her 1st Full appearance.
She had one panel cameos in ASM #25(1st) and AMS #38(2nd) neither of which revealed her face. I believe this Issue is Highly overlooked and under valued. It also features the Origin of the Rhino.
John Romita's Classic Cover Art also is far more appealing than ASM #129. An 8.0 VFN can be had for a fraction of the cost of ASM #129 in the same grade.

Another Book that is very affordable and I feel overlooked. ASM #59 Mary Jane's 1st cover appearance.
I have a lower grade copy, but Im looking to pick up a cgc 8.0 -8.5 for Peanuts compared the AMS #129. Obviously not the status of the 1st Punisher, But I think many of these early Mary Jane Watson books are highly overlooked and under priced considering her current popularity and her long term status in the ASM Title. In fact I just seen a nice looking cgc 8.0 for like 150 bucks I think I might buy right now! Hell I can buy 10 of these for the cost of the ASM #129.

One other note and I know I will get a bunch of Flack for it.

Regardless what book you decide to lay your hard earned cash down for. Make sure you don't waste your money on one with an Off Centered cover. Regardless what anybody says, a centered cover is much more desirable book.

Out
John
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
If you're going Venom: Lethal Protector either way, I'd strongly suggest the Gold edition. Signature or no, they had a much smaller print run.

Best case scenario is the Black error cover, but that's crazy expensive.

10,000 were printed of the Gold version, so even that is relatively common.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Kryptn private msg quote post Address this user
I wish you the best sir.I'm in my mid 50's and collected comic's & horror books from the 60's,70's, & 80's.I never thought of it as a collection because i enjoyed the art work & reading them.When i was done i put them in boxes & in the basement.I got married and raised a family and the comics were just kinda forgotten.My kid's are all adults & on there own.I recently found the box's of comics & AM amazed what the value are of these book's. I will never sell them because they take me back to when i was a kid.I'll leave them to my kid's when i'm gone.What i'm trying to say is any comic's your 8yr old son buy's now 30 to 40 years from now there will still be a market looking for those book's.There will be adult's looking for childhood memories. GOD BLESS
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
What is key about VLP #1? Is it given attention because it's venoms first solo comic? Not sure the draw to this comic and why it keeps coming up in threads...is it because the movie storyline is expected to come out of this book?

Anyway, if he's all about venom, another cool comic that likely has staying power and maybe a better investment is venoms first cover appearance, ASM 316. It's a great Todd McFarlane cover that's been homaged many times and relatively affordable in 9.8 grade with white pages. If 9.8 is not in the budget, you can get a 9.6 for a better bargain and to him, aside from the grade number assigned, won't know the difference.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicnewbie If you get a chace, you should take him to a comuc book show. He can find a lot of real nice books in the dollar bins and a lot of real good deals. Dealers will also have their"wall books" up there for sale. Amazing Spiderman books are always good purchases. For me, I only buy high grade copies. Some of it is my OCD but I know they will be easier to sell if I ever decide to sell them. I eent to one last week and took my 13 yr old daughter and 16 year old son. He picked up newer Marvel Linticular covers for a $1 each. They will probably not go up in value but he really likes them. My daughter actually bought some books from an independant company and had the artist sign them. It is something that I am not too into but she liked it. I have been showing her how to properly handle and care for them. We had a fun day. I picked up a few books for myself too.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
...is it because the movie storyline is expected to come out of this book?

Yes.
Post 40 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Regardless what book you decide to lay your hard earned cash down for. Make sure you don't waste your money on one with an Off Centered cover. Regardless what anybody says, a centered cover is much more desirable book.

@Comicnewbie On that note, keep in mind that all grades are not created equal. If you can, compare more than one of the same book/grade to buy the better copy.

If you are going to invest in comics for him, stick to the keys. First appearances.

Signatures are terrible investments. Writers and artists hardly gain fans, they mostly lose them over time. Supply/demand. I’ve got a few signatures/sketches from “hot” artists, but thats bc I wanted them. I know they wont be worth much more in the future. Movie celebs are the worst in that aspect long term; people forget them.

Personally I dump money into a 529 for my kids whenever I can. Their plan has done much better than any of my comics.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I would think it is too late to invest in Venom. I was about to get Carnage's first appearance 2 weeks before he was announced in the new movie. I waited too long and missed the boat on him too.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
If you're going Venom: Lethal Protector either way, I'd strongly suggest the Gold edition. Signature or no, they had a much smaller print run.

Best case scenario is the Black error cover, but that's crazy expensive.

10,000 were printed of the Gold version, so even that is relatively common.

Absolutely true, but in the long run, it's not as common & (probably) has more room to grow than the standard red cover.
Post 43 IP   flag post
I'm kicking myself for selling my slabbed 9.4 Gold & 9.8 Red versions last year.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944

Personally I dump money into a 529 for my kids whenever I can. Their plan has done much better than any of my comics.

Pretty sound advice Shrewbeer, but I think we have established the fact that he is not looking to finance their future with comic books, Just using some discretionary funds on a few Key books that they can enjoy and possibly appreciate in value or at least hold their value during the time they enjoy owning them.
Post 45 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
A person can invest for profit (which is the #1 reason for investing I assume) in much more sure bet things than comic books. But some of us invest in something we like or even love. That has it's own reward above and beyond financial gain.

I think a reasonable person should invest in both financial gainers AND likes/interests. A balanced portfolio of business and pleasure.

And yes I know. Making more money can be pleasurable and interesting.

It always comes down to this: Do what pleases you. It's your money.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
A person can invest for profit (which is the #1 reason for investing I assume) in much more sure bet things than comic books. But some of us invest in something we like or even love. That has it's own reward above and beyond financial gain.

I think a reasonable person should invest in both financial gainers AND likes/interests. A balanced portfolio of business and pleasure.

And yes I know. Making more money can be pleasurable and interesting.

It always comes down to this: Do what pleases you. It's your money.

Indeed True CF
Post 47 IP   flag post

Here is a Pretty hot modern Key Spidey Book I have for sale if anybody is interested in it.
$119 Shipped.
Post 48 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak It’s a long thread. The “Investment” word I used was taken way too seriously and possibly bc of my inability to make my point clearly. The “investment” was to ONLY allow my 8 yr old to have a book that may at least retain or possibly increase in value for the sole purpose of him “reinvesting” it as he wished on what he wished. Whether that time came in 3-5-10-20 years doesn’t matter. This quest is in no way part of my investment in his financial future. It is a father and son good time.
Post 49 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I understood all of that from the get go. But the conversation went where it went.

That's how we roll here. You start a thread about Wonder Woman and the next thing you know, we are talking about Aquaman or horses.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
That's how we roll here. You start a thread about Wonder Woman and the next thing you know, we are talking about Aquaman or horses.

This made me chuckle. 100% accurate.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Lol. Understood
Post 52 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
This thread has covered some roads. I'll read something I want to comment on - then someone else covers that comment but mentions something I would comment on ..... rinse and repeat. So just a few things...

If you look at comic book prices over a approaching now a 50 year period, one thing stands out. The VERY best books have done the VERY best. Let's use 1987. 30 years ago. Back in 1987 ,I could have sold my entire collection and purchased a VG'ish copy of Action 1 or Detective 27 (MINT price was around $25,000 LOL) . Now my selling entire collection would not. Despite the fact the books I have did increase nicely in value.

Around that same time, ASM 129 was a book that would sell for around $15, Incredible Hulk 181 was $35. Continuing the fun Amazing Fantasy 15 was $1200, Amazing Spider-Man 1 $900 and Avengers 1 $440. These are all "mint" prices from the Overstreet Price Guide. Meanwhile, Dazzler 1 was $1.50

It's clear that some vintage comics have been and will continue to be excellent investments. Dazzler hasn't done so well, despite being a hyped and kinda a big deal when released.

I don't mean to pick on newer material. There are no doubt recently published comics that will be widely sought collectibles. BUT...If you are looking INVESTING in comics the lesson is clear. BUY THE BEST BOOK YOU CAN AFFORD that has a proven long term track record of growth and desirability with collectors.

You might enjoy greater growth in value if you can identify overlooked books that everyone will want 5-10 years from now. I've been a serious student of the hobby for 40 years and I can't predict with any consistency. For the Bronze Age, Amazing Spider-Man 129 and Incredible Hulk 181 are probably your two best "blue chip" investments. There are other good choices as from that time period. HOS 92, GL 76 85 and 87 Marvel Spotlight 5 GS X-Men 1 and 94, maybe even Conan 1 come to mind. But when I think of other solid investments in Bronze Age books, I cannot think of any that are BETTER choices than ASM 129 and Hulk 181.

So if your son likes Spider-Man, that's a plus

@BigRedOne1944

I'm a big MJW fan. I wrote an article on her for Gary Carter's Comic Book Marketplace way back in the day. I'm pretty sure I'm the one that pointed out to Overstreet that 59 was her first cover appearance. So I'm 100% with you on her key books, their importance and being overlooked/undervalued. However... (isn't there always a however )

I'm not buying the hype or logic of ASM 43. Mary Jane Watson is IMHO one of the VERY BEST supporting characters in comics. But supporting characters are just that. It's not unusual for supporting characters to completely disappear for entire issues or story arcs. And given their supporting role, it's common for their appearances to often be just a few panels.

One should also take into account the big build up and final reveal of MJW. We were teased about MJ starting in ASM 15. Then in issues 25 and 38 Aunt May tried to arrange a date and we saw glimpses only in silhouettes. Peter was finally "trapped" into a date in issue 42 and then we see - in as classic a panel as exists in the Spider-Man title - the fun lovin' Mary Jane we all love.

That panel is the culmination of 2.5 years of work by Lee, Ditko and finally Romita. Her first "full" appearance an issue later? Hmm. OK.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/101415/4-best-sp-500-index-funds.asp
Post 54 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/101415/4-best-sp-500-index-funds.asp

A great reference. The number 1 fund listed has had an average return of 11% for 40 years. But comics can be better still. Action Comics 1 (and Detective 27) have seen average returns of 16% during that time.

Let's also put that in perspective. Over a 40 year period, a relatively small difference in average return translates into a HUGE difference in the value of your investment. Action Comics 1 was I believe about 9,000 in 1976 in Mint. Now no mint copy is known to exist (the Mile High might be a 9.4 - has not been professionally graded.) The 9.0 sold for 3.2 million.

$9,0000 invested in 1976 in a fund returning 11% a year on average would be worth $585,000 40 years later. $9,000 invested in a 9.0 Action 1 in 9.0 40 years ago would be worth 3.2 million. It's "only" a five percent difference in annual returns. But it's 6x more money.

Is this unique to Action 1 / Detective Comics 27? No it is not. It applies to a lot of the major keys. Amazing Fantasy 15 for instance is approaches a staggering 20% annual return over 40 years. $900 becomes a million. That ASM 129 we are talking about? Overstreet had it a like a dollar in 1976. I was collecting comic books then. Overstreet was low, it was $10 book at any comic book store. At it's current NM price, that $10 has generated a 15% annual return. If you actually bought one for a buck? 22% annual return. Double the #1 index fund.

This is the reason that the very biggest books have become so expensive. Rich people are investing in them just like they invest in fine art.

There is nothing wrong with a quality index fund. It's how most rich people get richer and some middle class people become rich. But the point is that investing in collectibles - like comics - shouldn't be scoffed at. It should just be done with some common sense and caution. Buy quality stuff. Not hyped stuff
Post 55 IP   flag post
600893 212 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?