Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignatures

Best investment5310

Collector Comicnewbie private msg quote post Address this user
Yes I am posting another thread about Venom. I am sorry for those who may be annoyed by it. However, you are under no obligation to respond or even read it. I REALLY am a comicnewbie and I am TRYING to learn. That being said, which of the following books is the best investment choice. I’ve heard many say that signatures are king. I’ve also heard that it’s the same as graffiti and ruins the books art. Again, I’m looking at it as an investment. Thanks in advance for you help and patience.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Obviously I am New as for some reason photos aren’t uploading
Post 2 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicnewbie

Are you asking whether to invest in signed or un-signed comic books? If so, it’s really personal preference for the reasons you stated.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Strictly from an investment point of view consider this....there are collector's who buy unsigned books and signed books. the ones who like signed books are also likely to collect unsigned books. the ones who don't like signed books are likely to avoid signed books. therefore an unsigned book is more likely to capture a larger collector group from a resale perspective.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I guess What I am asking is , Venom Lethal Protector #1. Best to own for investment purposes only. A 9.8 unsigned, a 9.8 signed by Bagley,Lee and McFarlane, or a 9.8 signed by Bagley and Lee only.
pro
Post 5 IP   flag post
For some reason the other photos won’t upload bc the file is too big. But they are all gold foil variants with signatures as stated above. Thanks @GAC
Post 6 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know.. I would take some thing with McFarlane over others but I would want earlier appearance or a character he created (1st app) or early work.
I also...and this is blasphemy I know...would not take Venom - just never like the character
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicnewbie
For some reason the other photos won’t upload bc the file is too big. But they are all gold foil variants with signatures as stated above. Thanks @GAC

Reduce your images to less than 1.5Mb. That will enable there download here.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
Quote:

Reduce your images to less than 1.5Mb. That will enable there download here.
Yoy can do that by cropping down the photo size.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I guess What I am asking is , Venom Lethal Protector #1. Best to own for investment purposes only. A 9.8 unsigned, a 9.8 signed by Bagley,Lee and McFarlane, or a 9.8 signed by Bagley and Lee only.
pro

None of those 3 options are what I would call good investments.

Venom #1 was a book with a very high print run.

There are plenty of raw 9.8's put there.

The best option, if you really want to buy the book slabbed, is a universal 9.8.

Nth, the only sound investment in comics is buying books raw on the cheap, and than having them slabbed.

Who made the better investment?

The guy who bought the book out of a $1 box, and than had it graded and pre-screen for a 9.8?

Or the guy who paid a $100, for the very same slabbed 9.8 book from the guy who had a $1 plus grading fees, invested into the very same copy of that book?

Now, Venom #1 isn't a book that is commonly found in dollar boxes anymore but my point stands
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I think signatures aren't a great investment unless you get a rare/hard to get sig or you're able yo aquire it cheap. Between the costs of acquiring them (con tix, artist fees, facilitator fees) and grading/encapsulating they don't bring much value above and beyond those costs.

Venom LP isn't the best investment, many will agree. Too many high grade copies out there. Better to put the money in a high grade ASM 300 or a high grade bronze key. But you should also invest in something you love, so if it's VLP them go with the more rarer gold or newstand variants....but nothing lower an 9.8

Sigs are really for enjoyment of the owner...at least these days now that artists charge so much for their scribble.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I have no real attachment to Venom. I thought bc the movie is on the way it may get a quick bump in price. I am looking for a book that will go up in the years to come ( I know - nothing is guaranteed ) so I could leave it for my 8 yr old to make some money when he is older. He loves pretty much all comics and reads all the time. I want to also teach him to care for these books. Now when he reads one and a favorite character of his is wronged the book goes flying. Thanks for all the incite full responses.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
If you're going Venom: Lethal Protector either way, I'd strongly suggest the Gold edition. Signature or no, they had a much smaller print run.

Best case scenario is the Black error cover, but that's crazy expensive.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
That said, the old saying is "buy low and sell high". Right now, Venom is at an all-time high. Now is the time to be selling Venom books.

That's not to say there's no room for Venom books to grow. They absolutely can. But they're more likely to drop in the future.

It's truly unpredictable to be honest.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@00slim Thank you. Your responses are appreciated.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have no real attachment to Venom. I thought bc the movie is on the way it may get a quick bump in price. I am looking for a book that will go up in the years to come ( I know - nothing is guaranteed ) so I could leave it for my 8 yr old to make some money when he is older. He loves pretty much all comics and reads all the time. I want to also teach him to care for these books. Now when he reads one and a favorite character of his is wronged the book goes flying. Thanks for all the incite full responses.

There will always be exceptions, but generally speaking if looking for investment grade comic books you are traveling a much safer path putting your money into older, vintage and key material. Stuff that has been sought after for many decades. Not something hot because of a movie. Comic books from the late 80's through 1995 were selling extremely well. And the reason they sold extremely well is that collectors and speculators were buying multiples copies of books believing they could sell them in 20 years and get rich. It's been 20 years and they haven't gotten rich. When books from this era get hot and start selling for decent money a virtual tidal wave of them flood into the grading companies.

If your son loves Venom. Get him that. The book doesn't look to be crazy expensive except for the black error variant. If he loves Venom he'll love the book, regardless of it's value. But if looking for a more likely investment, look at something older.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@IronMan Thank you also. I will look into the Bronze Age. Maybe a 6.0-7.0 Spider-Man #129 ?
Post 17 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
If you do not have any nostalgic love for comics and Investment profit is your only motive, I would highly suggest not buying any comic books at all.

If a solid investment for your child is your motive, I would suggest making a more responsible adult decision and start investing the money in a Mutual fund of diverse stocks.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@IronMan Thank you also. I will look into the Bronze Age. Maybe a 6.0-7.0 Spider-Man #129 ?

A great choice. I was going to ask/suggest that if your son likes Venom, maybe he likes Spider-Man. The first Punisher has been collectible since the day it came out over 40 years ago.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 Thanks for your input. The investment I am talking about here is for him to use any monies obtained from a sale of an "investment grade book" and reinvest into something he may be interested in at that time. Whatever that may be. A good lesson for sure. As far as me making a more responsible adult decision about MY finances for MY sons future WE are doing well in that department thank you. I'm talking discretionary funds here. Not 10's of thousands of dollars spent on a hobby he may lose interest in. Please don't insult people here. It's all about fun.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
If you do not have any nostalgic love for comics and Investment profit is your only motive, I would highly suggest not buying any comic books at all.

If a solid investment for your child is your motive, I would suggest making a more responsible adult decision and start investing the money in a Mutual fund of diverse stocks.

That's probably the best advise in this thread. If he insists on investing in comics I would recommend keys only and not krap like Venom #1.

I used to be amazed but am now amused at the amount of people who get into comics only for investment or to try to be a dealer. I'm rarely surprised anymore when I find out they know little to nothing about comic books or the market... but I have often wondered why they choose comics as opposed to stocks etc.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944

Mutual fund? Sure throw your money away on all of those fees.

Broad based ETFs (Nasdaq, S&P, Dow, etc.) make more sense. Once you know what you are doing and have more money to play with, individual stocks make some sense as well.

As for comics as an investment, it can be done. However, there are only so many people making money selling comics, especially full time. If it were easy, many more people would be doing it.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Logan510 Did you read the whole thread? If I spend $100 or $2000 it's bc I can. Can the comics turn out to be worthless? I guess it's possible. Can a stock lose 80% of its value over time? Sure can. I am not into comics for the purpose of making money or getting rich. That would be foolish. I asking the questions I'm am bc as of NOW, my son is interested in them. I've bought him many. I admittedly know very little. I ask about and want to purchase an investment grade book so he can sell it or keep it or whatever he wants. @drchaos thank you for your advice and not including personal attacks in your posts.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
You considered what I said a personal attack?

Does your son read comics or just collect them?
Post 24 IP   flag post
I came here for advice on books. Not to be admonished. The fact that I repeatedly spoke of my "motives" was wrong for me to post. Not really anyone's business. @Logan510, your post was not a personal attack. And again, I admit I know little. Look at my name
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Investment?
I love that word.

1st of all. Invest in what you like.

If you are looking to make a quick buck, go get yourself a lottery ticket.

I remember when I 1st started collecting, I was dropping $70 a week on books.
Now I am stuck with a bunch of short boxes of stuff I can't get rid of.
I wisen'd up.

My investment NOW is in Carol Danvers books and items. I buy CAROL stuff because she is clearly my favorite character, not because I see the $$ signs. I could go *invest* in other things, but then I am going to lose interest, (read the post I am losing interest) My collection keeps me interested and hungry.

What else do I collect? Street Fighter books (all sorts) and I think I'm going to start collecting FANTOMEX. Anyhoo those are things I love, and I am not going to kick myself down the road and say, why did I drop $ on this junk.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Logan510 He reads them and keeps them. When we go to the comic store he has his favorites but he will buy ( yes he buys with his allowance money ) anything that catches his eye. It not unusual for him to pick out 5-10 a trip. Some he will want the next issue, some he won't.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Gabriel85301. My kid is 8. It's all for him. Again, I was/am looking for 1 book that will hold or increase its value so that in 5 yrs or 10 years, whatever he wants, he has money to purchase something he may want whatever it is. I would never consider buying these books for him now a waste of money. He enjoys it immensely. We are talking reasonable amounts spent here. Not small fortunes.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@BigRedOne1944 Thanks for your input. The investment I am talking about here is for him to use any monies obtained from a sale of an "investment grade book" and reinvest into something he may be interested in at that time. Whatever that may be. A good lesson for sure. As far as me making a more responsible adult decision about MY finances for MY sons future WE are doing well in that department thank you. I'm talking discretionary funds here. Not 10's of thousands of dollars spent on a hobby he may lose interest in. Please don't insult people here. It's all about fun.

My apologies if you were offended by my comments, as that was surely not my intent.

You are correct.... "Its all about fun" More often than not, once the word "Investment" enters the equation the "Fun" is often times replaced by disappointment. I don't think anybody here is making a personal attack on you, but you did specifically ask for advice on "Investing" in Comics in order that your son may reinvest. Sometimes the best advice is often not the most popular.

I certainly would never discourage anybody from the hobby, But I think one may be better served to start by just spending that first couple hundred dollars on some cheaper reader books before jumping into any higher dollar books. I would also agree that if you do decide to progress to any kind of higher dollar books, it should older books(Silver Age Spiderman). First and foremost it should be fun, before Investment.

Best of luck

OUT
John
Post 29 IP   flag post
@BigRedOne1944 Thank you
Post 30 IP   flag post
600860 212 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?