Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite Custom bound!!! who does that?? I have some old indie scifi that are basically worthless but are NM and I love them (Andromeda, Dalgoda etc.) I could see them looking real nice as hard covers!!
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics I went through Houchen Bindery for all of mine. They do good work but things get expensive quickly the more features you add. The Fables books were about $150 each but they had to have die stamps manufactured and a bunch of custom work done. The Robocop book was pretty barebones and cost about $40, shipped priority, though media mail is available to make things cheaper.

If you love your books NM then this probably isn't for you since they basically destroy them, which is why I try to use existing trades (which have the added benefit of not having ads), common cheap books, or reprints when possible.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Only hard covers i have is Death Superman.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
What about Maximum Fantastic Four?

I found it at the flea market. It reprints the original first issue of Fantastic Four in a very cool way: each individual panel is blown up to cover a full page.

Also, the dust cover is a large fold-out poster of the classic cover for #1.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
For some reason I just don't have a love of hardbound comic books. If it ain't a normal comic book in a normal size, I find it hard to like. Even though I have many hardbacks, miniature comics and Treasury sized comics. I even have a hard time liking annuals and giant sized comics. Can't explain why though.

But I do make exceptions for things like Giant Sized X-Men #1 and ASM Annual #1.
Post 30 IP   flag post

PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

mm
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I think that custom bound is cool when the comics are good, but don't have a high value individually. I have a leather bound hard copy of the Unity storyline.

I think only about 4 copies from this fan project are leather bound. Most had a blue Unity cover also. Some people opted for Gold versions in theirs, but these are all regular versions.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I started with Hardcovers waaay back because it was an easy way to get a signature or sketch from artists who don't come around often/ever and because I didn't go to my first convention till I was 30 (just too far away or didn't have the time). They were also nice because some are super limited or at least the signed/sketched versions are.
Post 33 IP   flag post
completely forgot about this hardcover - possibly one of the best!!!!

and on the inside!!!!!!!!

Post 34 IP   flag post
On the list of people who will probably never come my way

Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not really into HC either, but I got a deal on this last year (the book, not the baby, he'll be costing me til the day I die ).

I'd say it looks good on the shelf but it doesn't really fit on the shelf, it's pretty cool to have a 'wizard's tome' sized reprint of God Loves, Man Kills and Neal Adams' sentinel arc.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
About a dozen years ago or so I had collected up the run of Batman Beyond from DC. all were NM copies and they were cheap. I also did Houchen bindings. The best part is that I'm friends with CRaig Rousseau who worked on a majority of the issues , so when the book was finished - he did a great Batman for me. I love how the book came out. Ray/RI

Post 37 IP   flag post
@Johnnylray Nice!!!!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@Johnnylray Nice!!!!
Thanks Brother!
Post 39 IP   flag post

Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

Well that just beats the hell out of my Empire poster... Bravo on that piece sir.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Black Velt Cover with Rolling Stones wrote on top.

Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Leather bound edition if 'Fight Club', signed by Chuck Palahniuk.

Post 43 IP   flag post
@JustABitEvil Thanks! I consider it one of the stand-outs of my collection

I know this might bot be the thread for it, but I’d love to see your poster
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@JustABitEvil Thanks! I consider it one of the stand-outs of my collection

I know this might bot be the thread for it, but I’d love to see your poster

My mother was friends with the manager of a local video store so she used to get hooked up with display pieces when the store was done with them.

I got Carrie Fisher at NYCC in 2016 and Mark Hamill just this past year. If I can get Billy Dee Williams and Frank Oz I'll be pretty happy. I have NEVER seen another copy of this poster, at least not in the 14.5"x24.25" size. As best as I can tell this particular poster was sent out with rental copies and I assume most were destroyed or just left up in windows until they faded out.

This concludes our Star Wars geek out, we now return you to the beautiful hardcover action of this thread.
Post 45 IP   flag post
@JustABitEvil That’s a really cool poster that I hadn’t seen before. Definitely frame-worthy!

In one more bit of crossover, I briefly owned the massive Star Wars Blueprints hardcover. It was gorgeous and you basically needed to dedicate an entire table to open it. Unfortunately it wasn’t packaged very well so the pages got detached from the spine during shipping so I had to return it

Post 46 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
The best drawn Tarzan I have ever seen.

Post 47 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Found these soft covered books when I dug out the above hard cover. Hope you don’t mind me sharing them with you here.

Post 48 IP   flag post

Post 49 IP   flag post

Post 50 IP   flag post

Post 51 IP   flag post
@esaravo The revised edition of Origins made my list of must-have collected editions, mostly because that's the edition I own; a gift from my dad maybe 20+ years ago

Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user

Post 53 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite - That’s great, Jon. I’m pretty sure these were Christmas and birthday presents from my parents back in the 1970’s.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user

Post 55 IP   flag post
600777 88 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?