Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Possible Collection Purchase5275

Collector Dshel61 private msg quote post Address this user
I may be coming into the possibility of purchasing a comic collection of about 400 books. One of my coworkers had an uncle who collected comics but he recently passed away. My coworker now has the books. He really doesn't know anything about comics and might be in the need of quick cash.

He sent me a short list of some of the books.

ASM 129
Daredevil 81, 158
All Winners 16
Avengers 18
Our Gang 10
All Star Batman & Robin 1
Batman Noir 1
Werewolf by Night 32
X-men 94
Ironman 55
Tomb of Dracula 10

Looks like a mix of gold & silver. Who knows? I am planning on paying him a visit this weekend to check them out. I'll let you know what comes of it...
Post 1 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like there are some nice keys in there.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
That would be quite the collection purchase, good luck and keep us updated!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Just make an offer for the bulk of them and get the entire lot!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
That's an odd lot of books
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Person probably focused on keys that he liked...people would probably say the same thing if they rummaged through my collection.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Those are some random books. His uncle knew something on there value. I'll take the ALL WINNERS 16 if you don't have a home for it. I love golden age.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
Those are some random books. His uncle knew something on there value. I'll take the ALL WINNERS 16 if you don't have a home for it. I love golden age.

If your friend made that list, he knew something on their value, too. Or maybe these were just the ones stored in mylar or something.

Anyway, nice books! Don't forget to check for the Marvel Value Stamps.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector KeyCollectorComics private msg quote post Address this user
Very cool, we're rooting for ya!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
I would be interested in taking a look at the All Winners 19, Werewolf By Night 32 and Iron Man 55.

Those books are at the top of my want list, if you can hook me up with a fair deal, I'd take them all.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Let me see if I can get them first before we get our hopes up...
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshel61
He really doesn't know anything about comics and might be in the need of quick cash.

Are you going to educate this guy on the value of his inheritance, or try to get the books at the best possible price.
Post 12 IP   flag post
maybe, maybe not
Post 13 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
maybe, maybe not

You should give him two options, IMO ... one, a kind of lowball but cash-in-hand offer; or two: offer to broker them over the next 6 months and just take 20%. Tell him you can get them cleaned and pressed, graded and slabbed, and will send them to specialty online auction site ... but that process will take around six months, give or take.

Then maybe he will take the cash.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
maybe, maybe not

You should give him two options, IMO ... one, a kind of lowball but cash-in-hand offer; or two: offer to broker them over the next 6 months and just take 20%. Tell him you can get them cleaned and pressed, graded and slabbed, and will send them to specialty online auction site ... but that process will take around six months, give or take.

Then maybe he will take the cash.

Horrible idea.

It is not between peanuts or telling the guy his books are worth thousands of dollars.

Mentioning pressing, grading and other sellers.....ugh.

This will make the would be seller think his books are worth bucketloads of cash.

Just make a fair offer, lowball offers are never good because the owner gets the impression you are trying to eff him over.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyCollectorComics
Very cool, we're rooting for ya!

Rooting for what? I’m not rooting for anything.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

Horrible idea.

It is not between peanuts or telling the guy his books are worth thousands of dollars.

This will make the would be seller think his books are worth bucketloads of cash.

Just make a fair offer, lowball offers are never good because the owner gets the impression you are trying to eff him over.

I didn't mean peanuts. A "kind of low-ball offer" is more akin to what a dealer would offer ... perhaps 30-40% of guide? But yeah, if these books are in great condition, they ARE worth thousands of dollars. You don't want to offer the guy peanuts and have him get a second opinion.

The point of mentioning pressing, grading, etc, is to demonstrate that you have expertise that he has no idea about.
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
If something sounds too good to be true it probably isn't true.

And like some else said, if the guy made that list as examples. Then he knows what he has. Unless all 400 are primo books.

Make a fair offer. Either all cash up front, or work out a payment plan, but you get the books immediately.

At the very least. Tell him you drove a long way and would like to at least take something home. Like AW #16, ASM 129 and Ironman 55. Make him an offer on what is calling your name after you see all he has. But make him a fair offer, which should be at least 50% of going rate for individual books. 40% for the whole lot sounds okay to me, but is a low ball offer.

Paying 60% of going rate for books like those, would be a very good deal for both of you.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Horrible idea.

I didn't mean peanuts. A "kind of low-ball offer" is more akin to what a dealer would offer ... perhaps 30-40% of guide? But yeah, if these books are in great condition, they ARE worth thousands of dollars. You don't want to offer the guy peanuts and have him get a second opinion.

The point of mentioning pressing, grading, etc, is to demonstrate that you have expertise that he has no idea about.

I am a dealer, and I will always offer way more than 30-40% of Overstreet for keys/high dollar books...or golden age, GGA, etc.

60% is about what I typically offer, I will go higher on under valued (per overstreet).

Your method of bringing up pressing, grading is again, going to make the guy want more.

The best approach to buying books in my experience is the polar opposite of coming across as a "comic expert".

A shop owner I know said it best, in summing up how he buys books:

"Sell to the shoes".

He wears beat up , old sneakers, jeans , a t-shirt and a flannel.

That's pretty much my approach to buying books, as well.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
I am a dealer, and I will always offer way more than 30-40% of Overstreet for keys/high dollar books...or golden age, GGA, etc.

60% is about what I typically offer, I will go higher on under valued (per overstreet).

Good point. Keys are not only higher value, but easier to sell. So the price you can pay as a dealer would certainly be higher.

Quote:
The best approach to buying books in my experience is the polar opposite of coming across as a "comic expert".

"Sell to the shoes".

Thanks for the comments. Not sure how to take them, though ... the first part makes it seem like it is the books themselves that determine your offer. Which I agree with, and with conditionFreak: make the offer fair, so it's a good deal for both of you.

But the latter part, about "sell to his shoes," etc., make it sound like you adjust the price based on the guy, not the book. Not sure I agree with that. Is that what you are saying, that you should offer as little as you can get away with? Then why talk about percentages of Overstreet?

Anyway, the point about coming across as a comic expert was not to lower his expectations. The point is to highlight that there are things you (we) know about the industry that could help him sell his comics, get a good price. If he doesn't mind waiting six months. But if he wants money now, then he gets less, due to the inherent uncertainly + time, etc.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Consignment is a win, as you have little money tied up, just time.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Good point. Keys are not only higher value, but easier to sell. So the price you can pay as a dealer would certainly be higher.

Quote:

"Sell to the shoes".

Thanks for the comments. Not sure how to take them, though ... the first part makes it seem like it is the books themselves that determine your offer. Which I agree with, and with conditionFreak: make the offer fair, so it's a good deal for both of you.

But the latter part, about "sell to his shoes," etc., make it sound like you adjust the price based on the guy, not the book. Not sure I agree with that. Is that what you are saying, that you should offer as little as you can get away with? Then why talk about percentages of Overstreet?

Anyway, the point about coming across as a comic expert was not to lower his expectations. The point is to highlight that there are things you (we) know about the industry that could help him sell his comics, get a good price. If he doesn't mind waiting six months. But if he wants money now, then he gets less, due to the inherent uncertainly + time, etc.

"Sell to the shoes" means as a buyer, I intentionally carry myself so I don't come across as a hot shot, expert comic dealer....I am referring to my shoes, not the other guy's.

I am fair with all sellers, it is not my job to help the buyer get the most for his books.

I've been buying collections for over 20 years, in my experience, the last thing you want to do is to give the owner/seller an inflated idea of the value of his books.

Telling someone that their books should be pressed and graded is patently ridiculous and a complete waste of my time and effort, as a re-seller.

I choose to offer fair prices, I am not going to explain the finer points of presing, scarcity, slabbing...may as well give the guy a lesson in supply side economics while you're at it, than hand him over your wallet because you have just wasted your time.

By time, I am referring to the knowledge I have gleaned after spending countless hours researching books in every possible way, studying market trends, sales histories in GPA and so on.

Why on earth would I freely hand over what I have learned, the hard way, by putting in the leg work over years, setting up at cons and losing my shirt on many occasions or barely making a profit on books that I sell ???
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Consignment is a win, as you have little money tied up, just time.

Nah, consigning raw books , is not going to do a dealer much good.

Consigning raws is the last thing I want to do. The pay off opposed to reward ratio, and time involved in listing/marketing the books is pretty much a wash out. Unless they are raws like AF# 15, but selling those kinds of keys in the raw, is just plain dumb.

I buy books to press and slab them.

I would much rather buy the books outright.

I will consign slabbed books because all the prep work has already been done.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I kind of agree with cak on this...don't confuse the person with details...and time is money. You can be honest and say You're taking the risk buying the books and estimating their value...and the time to sell theM. Time is money....and if they want cash now it's 30-40% overstreet based on your grade.

If they want more, fine....negotiate...know your high/limit and if they want to take it on themselves it's their choice.

As long as you're honest and not pushy or rude it'll be what it's meant to be.
Post 24 IP   flag post
30-40% of Overstreet is a low ball offer for keys.

OVERSTREET is usually pretty far off on most books, to begin with.

Run silver age books, I sell at around half OVERSTREET.

SA keys, copper age books in
grade....pre-code horror, GGA,
Timely's ....all sell way above Overstreet.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:

"Sell to the shoes" means as a buyer, I intentionally carry myself so I don't come across as a hot shot, expert comic dealer....I am referring to my shoes, not the other guy's.

I am fair with all sellers, it is not my job to help the buyer get the most for his books.

I've been buying collections for over 20 years, in my experience, the last thing you want to do is to give the owner/seller an inflated idea of the value of his books.

[snip]

Why on earth would I freely hand over what I have learned, the hard way, by putting in the leg work over years, setting up at cons and losing my shirt on many occasions or barely making a profit on books that I sell ???

All good points. And thanks for the explanation ... I misread that. Anyway, the OP isn't a dealer, so that makes it a bit different. Cheers.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Well, if he ends up buying the collection of 400 books....unless he is a massive hoarder, he will become a "dealer", by natural progression of selling the books he does not want for himself.

I am not a full time dealer, either.IOW, I don't sell nooks for a living, I have a day job.
Post 27 IP   flag post
601333 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?