Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
what is the 1st appearance of Apocalypse???
X factor 6

or is this the 1st appearance of Apocalypse???
En Sabah Nur<---Is he not Apocalypse.
Marvel Graphic Novel 17
Revenge of the Living Monolith 1985
1st appearance of En Sabah Nur

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
First appearance, or first appearance in comic books? I think you may have both there
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
First appearance, or first appearance in comic books? I think you may have both there

i guess what am try to find out is First appearance anywhere of Apocalypse, would it not be Marvel Graphic Novel 17 1st appearance of En Sabah Nur, is he not Apocalypse.
Post 3 IP   flag post
If you want straight up first, then you may have to dig into previews as well

Tough question. I have no idea
Post 4 IP   flag post
i guess i should be more clear just out of these 2 books whay is x factor 6 label as 1st appearance of Apocalypse. out 1986

should it not be Revenge of the Living Monolith 1985
Post 5 IP   flag post
Then it’s the latter, 1985 vs 1986

Same dude just a different color, no?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
1st cameo was in X-Factor 5 and first full appearance was in X-Factor 6. Nuff said.
Post 7 IP   flag post
it is the same guy En Sabah Nur<is-Apocalypse.
Post 8 IP   flag post

Post 9 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's the same person per sé, but two different characters. No one cared about the character until he was introduced as Apocalypse. It's just like Yuriko Oyama. No one cared about her first appearance in Daredevil 197. Her first appearance as Lady Deatstrike in Alpha Flight 33 is a different story. Same person. Different characters with different appeal.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
In situations like this, I always buy both...kinda like the Gambit thing.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
In situations like this, I always buy both...kinda like the Gambit thing.

CGC’s present label note already, which clearly indicates that X-Men Annual #14 pre-dates X-Men #266; and CBCS, similarly, says as follows, that X-Men Annual #14 is the first published appearance of Gambit:

clickable text

so will the 1st appearance of Apocalypse change???????
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
It's because he is unnamed. They didn't reveal that that was actually Apocalypse until the year 2000 (15 years later). And I think we could also call X-Factor #5 his first appearance. Depending on your reason for asking I would do either:
a) Get MGN17, XF15, XF16 -have all bases covered for your collection.
b) Go with what the market has dictated for max. resale.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
It's the same person per sé, but two different characters. No one cared about the character until he was introduced as Apocalypse. It's just like Yuriko Oyama. No one cared about her first appearance in Daredevil 197. Her first appearance as Lady Deatstrike in Alpha Flight 33 is a different story. Same person. Different characters with different appeal.

Basically, this. Note they use his actual name & not his villain name on the label of Marvel Graphic Novel 14.

Another example is the first appearance of Cletus Kasady (Spidey 344) vs. 1st Carnage (361).
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

Basically, this. Note they use his actual name & not his villain name on the label of Marvel Graphic Novel 14.

Another example is the first appearance of Cletus Kasady (Spidey 344) vs. 1st Carnage (361).

Also, like Magik
1st App is New Mutants 14 but first app of Illyana is GSX #1 9 years prior.
Post 15 IP   flag post
oohhh, thanks that what i was looking for a better explanation of this,

so MGN 17 - En Sabah Nur 1 appearance, no Apocalypse is said anywhere in there. got it.

thanks for clearing that up.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Scorpion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion

so MGN 14 - En Sabah Nur 1 appearance, no Apocalypse is said anywhere in there. got it.

First appearance of “Him” and then Adam Warlock is a similar situation. The “Him” character appeared several years before being named Adam Warlock. In this case, the “Him” appearance is more valuable.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@Scorpion

Quote:

so MGN 14 - En Sabah Nur 1 appearance, no Apocalypse is said anywhere in there. got it.

First appearance of “Him” and then Adam Warlock is a similar situation. The “Him” character appeared several years before being named Adam Warlock. In this case, the “Him” appearance is more valuable.

now am back where i started lol, thanks @CaptainCanuck, will CBCS grade these, there not comic book size.
Post 18 IP   flag post
The maximum size that CBCS will grade is 7.625" x 10.5" and .24" thick. The GN's are 8.5" x 11"
Post 19 IP   flag post
What Defines A Comic Character's First Appearance?

i though this was a good read. also see the wolverine
https://www.comiccrusaders.com/defines-comic-characters-1st-appearance/
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
It's because he is unnamed. They didn't reveal that that was actually Apocalypse until the year 2000 (15 years later). And I think we could also call X-Factor #5 his first appearance. Depending on your reason for asking I would do either:
a) Get MGN17, XF15, XF16 -have all bases covered for your collection.
b) Go with what the market has dictated for max. resale.

I always thought MGN 17 was a retconned first appearance. Kind of like Uncanny X-Men 201 is the first appearance of baby Cable.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
What Defines A Comic Character's First Appearance?

i though this was a good read. also see the wolverine
https://www.comiccrusaders.com/defines-comic-characters-1st-appearance/

Didn't know wolverine was first conceived by a fan sketch in FOOM #2. Why hasn't there been a lawsuit? Or has there?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I bought this new when it first came out.

Post 23 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
What's interesting is how scarcity affects perception of the first appearance. As someone pointed out, the Batman Who Laughs didn't have his first appearance in TT #12, but that is the lowest print run of all the "first appearance" candidates. (Also, he has a cover appearance, which makes it cooler.) Once the price goes up a bit, other buyers reinforce it, and the market "interprets" price to mean: TT #12 is the first appearance that people care about.

Same thing with Swamp Thing. Swamp Thing #1 is the first appearance of Alec Holland, who IS the Swamp Thing. (Setting aside Alan Moore's redefinition years later.) The creature in House of Secrets #92 was a hundred years before (in continuity) and named Alex Olsen. Clearly a prototype, but just as clearly not the same character.

Yet HoS 92 is WAY more valuable. Why? Because even 40 years ago #1's sold a LOT more than #92's. So scarcity determines "first appearance," to a large degree, simply due to the bandwagon effect.

...Or perhaps, a few years ago, someone decided to make HoS 92 valuable by cornering the market, and started buying every copy he could find. At least, that's the rumor I heard...
Post 24 IP   flag post
But HoS 92 is the first Swamp Thing. The origin has changed, but the creature is far more iconic than the scientist that becomes him.

Much like the discussion above about En Sabah Nur vs. Apocalypse.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post
That said, @Tedsaid, makes a good point about how much scarcity effects perception in this hobby.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
But HoS 92 is the first Swamp Thing. The origin has changed, but the creature is far more iconic than the scientist that becomes him.

Well, that's true. And a good point. Still, it is so arbitrary-seeming, which "1st appearance" comics are the valuable ones and which aren't. (An observation that many people have made before.) My gut is, the ones that are mid series, like FF 52 or ASM 129, will always be the biggest hits.

I wonder how difficult it would be to "corner the market" on a particular comic? That is, make a concerted effort to buy as many of an issue as possible, putting slow but steady upward market pressure on the price.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

You keep posting the popcorn meme, over and over. It seems, lately, that's all you post.

I'm not complaining, believe me, but I'm curious: why is that your go-to pic lately?
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid

I remember a cartoon when I was a kid where, in the show, there was a baseball card worth one cent. One of the kids got the idea to offer two cents for the card to anyone who would take him up on it. The scheme was to destroy every copy except one, driving up the value.

Even as a kid, I was like, "this is a great idea."
Post 30 IP   flag post
601228 39 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?