Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user

Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
That said, @Tedsaid, makes a good point about how much scarcity effects perception in this hobby.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
But HoS 92 is the first Swamp Thing. The origin has changed, but the creature is far more iconic than the scientist that becomes him.

Well, that's true. And a good point. Still, it is so arbitrary-seeming, which "1st appearance" comics are the valuable ones and which aren't. (An observation that many people have made before.) My gut is, the ones that are mid series, like FF 52 or ASM 129, will always be the biggest hits.

I wonder how difficult it would be to "corner the market" on a particular comic? That is, make a concerted effort to buy as many of an issue as possible, putting slow but steady upward market pressure on the price.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

You keep posting the popcorn meme, over and over. It seems, lately, that's all you post.

I'm not complaining, believe me, but I'm curious: why is that your go-to pic lately?
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid

I remember a cartoon when I was a kid where, in the show, there was a baseball card worth one cent. One of the kids got the idea to offer two cents for the card to anyone who would take him up on it. The scheme was to destroy every copy except one, driving up the value.

Even as a kid, I was like, "this is a great idea."
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
@Tedsaid

I remember a cartoon when I was a kid where, in the show, there was a baseball card worth one cent. One of the kids got the idea to offer two cents for the card to anyone who would take him up on it. The scheme was to destroy every copy except one, driving up the value.

Even as a kid, I was like, "this is a great idea."

Yeah, exactly! ... except for the "destroy the baseball card" part. I wouldn't like that bit. Because the best part of the scheme is, every card (comic) you buy is still pretty much worth what you paid for it. You just paid the market price. Once the bandwagon perception is up ($10,000 for a 9.6 HoS 92!), you can sell some of 'em off, make your money back and more.

I figure you just have to find a comic with a low-ish print run and a good story. "This is so-and-so's first appearance" is a good story.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
It's because he is unnamed. They didn't reveal that that was actually Apocalypse until the year 2000 (15 years later). And I think we could also call X-Factor #5 his first appearance. Depending on your reason for asking I would do either:
a) Get MGN17, XF15, XF16 -have all bases covered for your collection.
b) Go with what the market has dictated for max. resale.

i have all 3 just wounder if i should even slab MGN 17, at some point i will slab xfactor 5,6, and CBCS does not slab these GN cause there to big i dont see why they can slab them and CGC can?

i also see some website saying First Appearance
Marvel Graphic Novel #17; (fully identified) X-Factor #5 (1986)

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/universe/Apocalypse_(En_Sabah_Nur)#axzz54YoNMfBi

Post 32 IP   flag post
CBCS can't (yet) because it requires a separate, incredibly expensive mold.

With the Beckett merger, CBCS should be able to offer magazine slabs sooner than later. That said, it's still a waiting game.
Post 33 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I bought this new when it first came out.

Formally named Apocalypse and turned blue or not, this is the true first appearance.

But its not really a comic. Its essentially a TPB, correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
What Defines A Comic Character's First Appearance?

i though this was a good read. also see the wolverine
https://www.comiccrusaders.com/defines-comic-characters-1st-appearance/

Didn't know wolverine was first conceived by a fan sketch in FOOM #2. Why hasn't there been a lawsuit? Or has there?

I have a nice copy of FOOM. It IS the first appearance of Wolverine, I don't care how much it's undervalued. I don't own a #181. Its not a first appearance (by two different books that have a better claim), nor is it a #1. I don't see any point in owning it, unless I was into getting a Hulk run. Then I'd just be pissed that everyone drove up the price of 181 over nothing

Interesting thing about the FOOM books. CGC seems to be giving them all a pass with the sticker on the back. There are 9.6's on the 'bay with the damn sticker!!! I say BS, there has to be at least one copy out there without one. That single copy negates any "pass" that the others have gotten imo. argh. whatever. rant. rant.
Post 34 IP   flag post
this is like savage dragon 1st appearance

everyone though was image comics 1 NOPE

then they said it was this one 1st appearance, NOPE 3rd appearance

and than this one is the true first 1st appearance of savage dragon, even though he only know as dragon here. 2nd appearance is book 2

Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
I'll add mine about Conan, though his first appearance is not in comics. The recognized first appearance is in Weird Tales - December 1932 story "The Phoenix On The Sword."

The short story "People of the Dark" in Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror (June 1932) by Howard has a Conan who is a black-haired barbarian hero who swears by a deity called Crom. Some Howard scholars believe this Conan to be a forerunner of the more famous character.

Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
this is like savage dragon 1st appearance

everyone though was image comics 1 NOPE

then they said it was this one 1st appearance, NOPE 3rd appearance

and than this one is the true first 1st appearance of savage dragon, even though he only know as dragon here. 2nd appearance is book 2

I have Megaton #3 that's in rough shape. I probably paid a dollar (or less). "Savage" is just an adjective so I'd definitely call it he same character.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I bought this new when it first came out.

Formally named Apocalypse and turned blue or not, this is the true first appearance.

But its not really a comic. Its essentially a TPB, correct?

The term for new material was "Graphic Novel". Reprint material is traditionally a "Trade Paperback". The terms have melded over the years and are used interchangeably. It is a square bound publication the size of a magazine.
Post 38 IP   flag post
that is correct a Graphic Novel is an origin story, Like The New Mutants Graphic Novel 4

as where a trade paperback reprints some comics in a trade paperback.
collects New Mutants no. 18-21

Post 39 IP   flag post
601333 39 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?