Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
Hello again. just wondering about blank covers. Does it make a difference who does the sketch? As in a blank star trek cover and having a sketch done by someone like Don Rosa who has nothing whatsoever to do with star trek. as in does it do anything to potential value when graded onsite, or does it make it more valuable to have a superman artist like dan jurgens doing a supes sketch on a blank superman? thank you, longtime collector but still a lot to learn. and yes ,horrors, I actually READ THEM TOO by using my grubby little hands bwa haa haa.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
My preference is that the sketch has to do with the blank cover title.

In your example I would be ok to use Don Rosa on a Star Trek blank cover if he sketch something related to star trek
Post 2 IP   flag post
that is kinda what I had in mind. if I can get him to do one I would nearly keel over and die happy if he would do a duck star trek theme
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@donho If you’re looking for resale/market value (regardless of whether you plan to sell it or not) then art by known artists would carry more weight, of course.

If this is something you’re planning to have graded and you’re picking it up at a convention that CBCS is attending, then be sure to stop by the CBCS booth first to ask for a witness to accompany you to pick it up so you can submit it for a yellow label.
Post 4 IP   flag post
that is why I was asking, Planet comicon in KC. in 31 days. They were fantastic last year when I went, great bunch of guys and nice too. At the very least they were very good at acting like they were thrilled to be there. Talked to them quite a while and they answered all my concerns. Which in turn is why I am enjoying being here because of them.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
A big part of the fun with blank covers is thinking of cool things to have artists draw for you. Sometimes I want to have someone draw a golden age cover or character, maybe a bronze age horror cover, or even something more recent where I just don't have a blank cover that matches the sketch.

I also have a pet peeve with blank covers where the logo takes up a large portion of the cover leaving less room for the artist. Some artists are clever enough to incorporate of even draw over part of the logo but it can get in the way. I often use blanks for Deadpool, Defenders, etc. for completely unrelated sketches simply because the small logo doesn't get in the way.

With that said, I do like it when I can find a logo that matches the sketch I want.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@donho If you’re looking for resale/market value (regardless of whether you plan to sell it or not) then art by known artists would carry more weight, of course.

You say that but for the same money that will get you a hasty pencil sketch of a character's head you can get a less experienced artist to spend a great deal of time drawing a full cover with inks and colors.

I do agree that if we are talking apples to apples (head sketch, bust, full, cover, etc. the bigger name will have more value. The big time artists also do some incredible work.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Nino_013 private msg quote post Address this user
If youre trying to get a sketch cover done by Don Rosa, be wary. Last i heard hes pretty much against slabbing.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Going along with that, everyone is going after Stan Lee signatures.

I think I will be going after an ALLEN BELLMAN sketch this next coming month.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
This one just got submitted to CBCS
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
This was my very first sketch cover. I knew Lou Ferrigno was going to be in attendance at the con and so I got the idea beforehand to get a Hulk blank, a green pen then set out to find a artist to do a 70's Hulk for Lou to then sign. Granted, the artist didn't have anything to do with Hulk but I think it turned out pretty good and with around $100 invested total, I think if I ever decide to sell it would turn a nice profit.

[/img]
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
This is a sketchcover I did, I don;t have all my sketches slabbed, but some of them. Also, clients have sent in my covers to be slabbed.

Post 12 IP   flag post
I don't like getting sketches of characters on books with unrelated titles. So when I wanted a Moon Knight/Dark Knight sketch from David Finch, I just made my own with logos and photo stats I found online and customized.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
That is pretty great Odins_raven!

I love that.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino_013
If youre trying to get a sketch cover done by Don Rosa, be wary. Last i heard hes pretty much against slabbing.

I am not sure. he doesn't seem to mind. love the guy and when I have seen him we always have a nice chat. but I was just shooting his name out there for my question. but I will try to get a sketch from him if he has time. love his work. next to barks he is the duck man hands down. heck I like dan parent from archie a lot too. did get some sketches from him also. betty as batgirl in color is fantastic
Post 15 IP   flag post
@ThorneArt Thank you sir!
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:

You say that but for the same money that will get you a hasty pencil sketch of a character's head you can get a less experienced artist to spend a great deal of time drawing a full cover with inks and colors.

I do agree that if we are talking apples to apples (head sketch, bust, full, cover, etc. the bigger name will have more value. The big time artists also do some incredible work.

I definitely agree. I'll be the first to encourage someone to look beyond published artists as there is a lot of amazing talent out there that you can get for a fraction of the price of a recognizable name.

Additionally, I think it's also an excellent idea, even if you are getting a known artist to do some work for you, to not pigeonhole yourself into commissioning just characters they've worked on or are known for. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but that's what most people will do and if you're going to commission something, it might as well be something unique to you.

A couple of my favorite examples:
When I got this done, Billy Tucci had yet to work on a Harley Quinn book. But I've known him for a while and I see him often at shows. He loves the Harley Quinn character and he is fascinated with World War II history so a Bombshell Harley seemed like a perfect fit for him. Two years later, he illustrates Harley's Little Black Book #4 featuring the DC Bombshells characters.

This one is by Clayton Crain, who you'll see doing tons of Spider-Man, Venom, Carnage, and Uncanny X-Force characters as he had amazing runs on titles featuring those characters. Don't get me wrong, all his work is amazing and I'd love to have a piece by him of any of those characters. However, when I got a chance to get a commission by him, I thought about other works he'd done that I was a fan of, specifically his run of Ghost Rider titles with Garth Ennis.

I could've asked him to do a Ghost Rider, sure, and that would've been great, but looking at some specific qualities of his work, the ghostly apparitions, the skeletal figures, and thought about where else those elements could be applied. What immediately came to mind was the title character from the brilliant film, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

It's not a very well known character so I made sure to provide plenty of reference. To this day it might be the only Phantasm Crain has ever illustrated, but it's an amazing piece, it's unique, and it's one of my favorites

Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:

I would like to say something about these two pieces but I am still too busy drooling. Wow, does Crain do some amazing work!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Millvilleresident private msg quote post Address this user
I love sketch covers(they are the only art that I collect) but I don't often have the opportunity to get them sketched by the creators of that particular title. I instead just pick artists (known and unknown) that can take a character (relating to the particular sketch cover) and create a work of art for me. I like to try to match their style with the character that I am requesting.
Post 19 IP   flag post
sweet books and sketches thanks guys would love to read more from you guys. and a clarification on my post on talking to the guys for a while one I meant talking to the cbcs people that were set up for the first time at planet comicon. and went with them the whole show. and after talking with cgc for only a few minutes I knew they were not for me. if I am lucky enough to get commissions I will most certainly post them on here.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:

I definitely agree. I'll be the first to encourage someone to look beyond published artists as there is a lot of amazing talent out there that you can get for a fraction of the price of a recognizable name.

Additionally, I think it's also an excellent idea, even if you are getting a known artist to do some work for you, to not pigeonhole yourself into commissioning just characters they've worked on or are known for. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but that's what most people will do and if you're going to commission something, it might as well be something unique to you.

A couple of my favorite examples:
When I got this done, Billy Tucci had yet to work on a Harley Quinn book. But I've known him for a while and I see him often at shows. He loves the Harley Quinn character and he is fascinated with World War II history so a Bombshell Harley seemed like a perfect fit for him. Two years later, he illustrates Harley's Little Black Book #4 featuring the DC Bombshells characters.

This one is by Clayton Crain, who you'll see doing tons of Spider-Man, Venom, Carnage, and Uncanny X-Force characters as he had amazing runs on titles featuring those characters. Don't get me wrong, all his work is amazing and I'd love to have a piece by him of any of those characters. However, when I got a chance to get a commission by him, I thought about other works he'd done that I was a fan of, specifically his run of Ghost Rider titles with Garth Ennis.

I could've asked him to do a Ghost Rider, sure, and that would've been great, but looking at some specific qualities of his work, the ghostly apparitions, the skeletal figures, and thought about where else those elements could be applied. What immediately came to mind was the title character from the brilliant film, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

It's not a very well known character so I made sure to provide plenty of reference. To this day it might be the only Phantasm Crain has ever illustrated, but it's an amazing piece, it's unique, and it's one of my favorites

I was pretty mad I couldn't go to a show that Crain was attending. He is really the first artist I actually really noticed his work. I remember reading X-Force and thought, wow this artwork is awesome. For the first time I actually looked at who the artist was. Might I ask how much getting something commissioned by him costs?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
got to meet George Perez at a convention for my bachelor party and he drew this for me.
Post 22 IP   flag post
597983 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?