Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeQuestions

Ebay question - possible scam?5270

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
So today my phone makes the eBay noise which could mean a sale or just eBay trying to sell me something. It turned out to be a message. I will leave the sender's information anonymous for now but he claims to have an extensive collection (mostly from XYZ store in Ohio) and wants to trade for two of my more valuable books.

My first thought is that there is no way to do a trade without breaking eBay's rules. How do they get paid if there is no cash involved?

Has anyone been down this road?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos Never, trades on ebay are fishy. Would only trade with people I know or established reputation like here on CBCS forum.

If he can provide a link to his CGC or CBCS forum name and you can see his rep, maybe.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos it's risky....me personally, I would never trade unless conditions like KingNampa states are satisfied.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I traded with a Nigerian prince once on ebay. He totally came through. Nope, didnt get ripped off at all
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the replies. Got another reply from the buyer. It seems he wants to deal directly outside of sBay which would explain why he would think a trade would be possible.

I have had some success with trades in the past including one with a member of this forum. Of course the best trades I made involved meeting in person.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
So today my phone makes the eBay noise which could mean a sale or just eBay trying to sell me something. It turned out to be a message. I will leave the sender's information anonymous for now but he claims to have an extensive collection (mostly from XYZ store in Ohio) and wants to trade for two of my more valuable books.

My first thought is that there is no way to do a trade without breaking eBay's rules. How do they get paid if there is no cash involved?

Has anyone been down this road?

I have traded books 3 times with guys from Facebook comic groups, never thru ebay.

I did message an ebay seller a couple years back, and after I won a listing of his in auction format, I worked out checking out what he had in storage. Met him at his storage facility...that was one of the best scores I have ever had.

As far as Facebook, with each of those 3 dudes, I got a key and gave them stacks of lesser books.

I'll do those trades all day long.

I could have been burned but neither of the 3 guys was the least bit sketchy. One of the guys, I even did a second trade with; he brought a bunch of books over my house.I made out pretty well.

Trading off eBay can be done, you just have to get the guy's cell number and talk to him over the phone.

Feel him out with an initial telephone call.

Ask for references, google his cell # online, check out his personal Facebook page.
Make sure everything lines up.

Work out a deal in writing so there are no misunderstandings.

I would get him to ship first, tell him you need to inspect the books first hand to verify that the books are not restored.

If you can make a worthwhile profit and everything lines up with the guy, I would say to do the trade.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
If he wants to trade, you would have to somehow get his personal email or phone number. Than make sure you get his comics or merchandise first before you send him your valuable books. If they are not as described, than send them back at his expense. Never put your books in the mail the same day he does.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
You would be breaking Ebay rules by trading contact information.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
You would be breaking Ebay rules by trading contact information.
I would never risk giving someone my info in an eBay message. I have way too much to lose.

With that said I feel no qualms about dealing directly with repeat customers. When someone pays you through PayPal their E-mail address is included.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos +1

If you absolutely must contact him send a message and attach picture with your contact info on it, that isn't picked up by ebay's scanners.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@drchaos +1

If you absolutely must contact him send a message and attach picture with your contact info on it, that isn't picked up by ebay's scanners.

I am not taking that risk. If someone else sends me their phone, E-mail, or forum ID it is on them, my hands are clean.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I traded with a Nigerian prince once on ebay. He totally came through. Nope, didnt get ripped off at all

Yeah, but tell 'em what you traded though :-)
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@drchaos +1

I am not taking that risk. If someone else sends me their phone, E-mail, or forum ID it is on them, my hands are clean.
Tell him you want to talk on the phone, if he is serious, he'll send his n
FWIW, I highly doubt eBay would do anything at all, besides emailing you with a warning.

Kicking sellers off is something eBay only does if buyers complain about fraud etc.

They make steady coin off sellers like you, it is antithetical to eBay's way of things to suspend sellers who cough over hundreds of dollars a month in fees.

If you are still not sure, call eBay (with a restructed number or a friend's phone) and ask a reo how they handle things like that.
Post 13 IP   flag post
600736 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?