Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Fantastic Four 48 1st Galactus/Silver Surfer5268

Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I think the vast majority of collectors do not spend hundreds on single comic books. Let alone thousands.

They are buying one to three dollar books, if they even buy books. Many are just about the event atmosphere.

A close friend of mine (24 year old police officer) does cosplay at every convention he can. But he never spends money on comic books. Only on costume stuff. He does read comics, but only when he gets them for free from his father who reads them also. His cosplay friends are the same way.

Some cosplayers do indeed collect comics. See picture below of a couple shopping my booth.

I don't like setting up at shows as a dealer and only do the ones here in my hometown. But the assessment about spending is accurate based on my experience. The great majority of my sales are out of the $1, $2 and $3 boxes.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan This is disconcerting, but true. There's a major dealer in my area who has attended local Cons only to bring lesser books. When I asked about his Silver Age keys, he said he didn't think anyone would be looking for them at the show.

I go to maybe two conventions a year and save up for an average of six months so I can pick up one or two major keys and maybe a statue or something.

It bums me out when the picking is slim at a Con.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
$20 seems to be the price point at cons. The dollar bins get high traffic and sales. Personally, I rarely buy higher end stuff at cons as it makes me nervous carrying around something of that value.
At a con a few years ago, friend bought a few books with total value of about $2,000. He thought it would be safer to put them in his car instead of carrying them around all day. At the end of the day when he went to leave, he found his car had been broken in to and the books were gone.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
$20 seems to be the price point at cons. The dollar bins get high traffic and sales. Personally, I rarely buy higher end stuff at cons as it makes me nervous carrying around something of that value.
A friend bought a few books with total value of about $2,000. He thought it would be safer to put them in his car instead of carrying them around all day. At the end of the day when he went to leave he found his car had been broken in to and the books were gone.

comic book hoodlums!!!

seriously though..that sucks!!

I don't buy key books at cons because I always feel that I'd be paying a premium. I'd rather buy from my LCS or from online.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
At a con a few years ago, friend bought a few books with total value of about $2,000. He thought it would be safer to put them in his car instead of carrying them around all day. At the end of the day when he went to leave, he found his car had been broken in to and the books were gone.

This is horrible.

Expensive books I carry with me, or, if it were $1000 single book, I'd ask the seller to hang onto it for me & id pick it up before I left the show.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I think the Galactus cover of FF49 is way better than the Watcher cover of FF48. But with that said, I still need a reasonably priced low to mid grade copy of FF48.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Sold this one last fall. A beautiful cover and like you said, I am much more fond of it than I am the cover of #48.

Post 32 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
You guys are going to the wrong cons. There is a local monthly con near me in Clifton, NJ. You can find anything from 50 cent books to slabbed major keys.

My haul from Sunday included:

Spider-man student electric guitar
Full Run of Alias (2001) 1-28
Marvel Two-In-One (1974) 1
Shazam (1973) 25
Cry for Dawn (1989) 3
Tears of Dawn (1994)1 - Signed by Linser
Harley Quinn Our Worlds at War (2001) 1
Amazing Spider-Man (2014) 1 - J Scott Campbell Cover
Harley Quinn (2013) - Fourth Print
Justice League (2011) 47 - Pencil sketch variant

The comics were all in high grade
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
also some of the books at the cons are well over priced if its in a slap. may be why there turned off.
Post 34 IP   flag post
@Foghorn_Sam, that's a beautiful example.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
My other copy is a 6.0 signed by Lee and Sinnott but I could care less that this copy is a mid-grade Restored; it's signed by freaking KIRBY, Lee and Sinnott. The Surfer is one of, if not my all-time favorite character in comics. Personally I think one of the greatest creations in comics history along with Galactus.

I know in my heart that it's not a question of if but when Marvel gives the Sentinel of the Spaceways his official MCU treatment, that it will be one of the greatest moments in comic cinema yet!

[/img]
Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't even consider putting my expensive books in an unattended vehicle. They stay with me until I get home.

If I stop at a gas station to use the bathroom, they go to the bathroom with me. If I stop for lunch, they go into the restaurant with me.

There is no place safer for my items, than in my hands. Could I be robbed? Yes, of course. But doubtful. Could I misplace them? Of course, but again, doubtful. Could a meteor fall from the heavens and land on me and my books? Doubtful.

Is some teenage jerk or adult scumbag drunk with a screwdriver going to take them from me? No.

Do people really think something surrounded by glass is a safe place to keep valuable items? Apparently so. Freaking government employees lose laptops containing secret info during car break in's. Even cops lose their service weapons in car break in's. And they should know better.
Post 37 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven
My other copy is a 6.0 signed by Lee and Sinnott but I could care less that this copy is a mid-grade Restored; it's signed by freaking KIRBY, Lee and Sinnott. The Surfer is one of, if not my all-time favorite character in comics. Personally I think one of the greatest creations in comics history along with Galactus.

I know in my heart that it's not a question of if but when Marvel gives the Sentinel of the Spaceways his official MCU treatment, that it will be one of the greatest moments in comic cinema yet!

[/img]

A Kirby signed FF48 is a thing of beauty. WOW!!! Congratulations on that one!
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odins_Raven

[/img]

A Kirby signed FF48 is a thing of beauty. WOW!!! Congratulations on that one!

That is a very nice looking book for a 5.5.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Here is mine... it's in Spanish though.

Post 40 IP   flag post
@Darkga, I've thought about getting a copy of that book. It is a pretty cool cover.
Post 41 IP   flag post
600649 41 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?