Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeQuestions

WTB GIANT SIZE XMEN HIGH GRADE5267

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Throw some DC keys up...id love to see them....ill throw some of mine up shortly...
Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s a scan of mine. Sorry, it’s not for sale.

Post 27 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
beautiful!!! love the new label so much more than the old ones.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

Here is mine. I purchased it at my LCS a few months ago. This one will be in my next batch that I send off to CBCS.It really needs a press but otherwise a pretty clean copy. The LCS must not be familiar with pressing. He had it graded at a 3.0 due to the wavyness. He had $100 on it and let me have it for $90. I was very happy to get it. I think it could easily fall in the 6.0 range after the pressing.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Who had that sweet copy that CBCS pressed. They had before and after photos of it. It was pretty impressive to see the difference.Hoping for similar results.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips $90?! What the crap!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
@BrianGreensnips $90?! What the crap!
I could not believe it. I have my pull list there and now keep my eyes peeled on the books under the counter and on the wall. This one was on a little wall display.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Who had that sweet copy that CBCS pressed. They had before and after photos of it. It was pretty impressive to see the difference.Hoping for similar results.

I believe it was Towmater.
Post 34 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips - That’s it. I am going to have to move to Michigan.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I got mine raw at a 3.0 for $80. It came back from CBCS with a 4.0 without a press. I definitely wish I'd pressed it now.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips

Here is mine. I purchased it at my LCS a few months ago. This one will be in my next batch that I send off to CBCS.It really needs a press but otherwise a pretty clean copy. The LCS must not be familiar with pressing. He had it graded at a 3.0 due to the wavyness. He had $100 on it and let me have it for $90. I was very happy to get it. I think it could easily fall in the 6.0 range after the pressing.

I would buy those all day for $90... Damn.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Bump... Still looking
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I got mine raw at a 3.0 for $80. It came back from CBCS with a 4.0 without a press. I definitely wish I'd pressed it now.

I've considered busting mine out to be pressed and regraded since it looks like it could definitely use it. I've heard that if there are spine tears on these giant size books that a press could make them worse by heating up the binding glue (or something, idk). Any truth to this?
Post 39 IP   flag post
@Thanatos I've heard similar things. It's part of the reason I didn't press mine to begin with, it has a small tear that concerned me.

I'd definitely do the Pressing pre-screen just to be safe.

The shop had two at this grade & price. I now wish I'd grabbed both.
Post 40 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
In my opinion, I have the nicest looking 9.2 of this issue IN THE WORLD. Looks even better in person. Not for sale.

Post 41 IP   flag post
"IN THE WORLD", I love that.

@conditionfreak That is a stunning 9.2. What did the notes say that kept it from being higher?
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Mickcatron private msg quote post Address this user
How the hell is that only a 9.2
Post 43 IP   flag post
woah!!
Post 44 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak very nice, love the cut on that book as well; you dont see the vertical line disappear like that very often!
Post 45 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak should press and regrade that. CGC probably give it 9.6
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickcatron
How the hell is that only a 9.2

It was probably a 9.8 and a CGC employee wanted to buy it as soon as it comes up for sale.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector Mickcatron private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 - lol, that's probably true. Unless there is something wrong on the inside, I honestly would have been upset with that grade
Post 48 IP   flag post
Sorry, I fell asleep watching TV.

The problem with this book is that the top of the spine is crinkled slightly downward. Not torn nor missing. Just crinkled downwards about a 16th of an inch (maybe a 32nd, hard to see). As you can see, you just can not see the flaw from the front or back.

It has been suggested to me that if I crack it open and apply some glue there under the spine end (just a small drop or less) and push it back into place, this could be a 9.8

But I ain't gonna do that. Applying glue to a book just scares me. Even though I think that is how these square bounds are held together in the first place (with glued spines). So I am not sure it would or could be detected.

But I would know and it would bug me. I don't keep restored or trimmed books, no matter how rare. I sold my AF #15 because it turned out trimmed and I sold my Kid Colt #1 because it has a piece repaired/replaced.

I love how this book presents and do like the cut.

You can't even see the problem without turning the book at a certain angle and straining to see it (because of the slab).

I have never looked up the notes for this book. Because I know what the flaw is.

When you have the book in hand, it appears flawless.

I bought this book from foolkiler on the CGC forum. Drove a long way to meet him in person for the exchange. Nice guy.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Which is a lesson in buying raw books from scans.
Post 50 IP   flag post
To all you people rubbing their GSX's in my face...pssh.. "Not For Sale"

Post 51 IP   flag post
Actually, I'm sure that everything here is for sale.

You just have to make an offer that someone can't refuse.

Which can hurt.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Last Bump, anyone got one for sale?
Post 53 IP   flag post
I'd consider selling my 4.0, but you're in the market for a nicer one, and I can't blame you.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I'd consider selling my 4.0, but you're in the market for a nicer one, and I can't blame you.
Thx @00slim. Had a 4.5 and sold it to help pay for the upgrade. Want to get a 9.0+ and keep it forever.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598057 66 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?