Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Received a book ungraded5263

Collector 76muss private msg quote post Address this user
I submitted 3 books in September and received them yesterday. 2/3 were graded. The one that wasn't graded was a Sketch Cover I had commissioned and also signed by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti. There is no reason why or anything why it wasn't graded just returned in a bag and board. I paid $73 just for that book to be graded and signature verified and it came back with nothing and I was charged everything. Any idea as to why? I plan on calling them Tuesday but I just don't understand why it wasn't slabbed or anything
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Did you get correct paper work?
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@76muss That’s unfortunate but I don’t believe it’s unheard of. They should fix it.

One reason it might not have been slabbed is if the sketch was done by a lesser known artist and you tried to have the signature verified. Unless they have a sample to compare against, the artist’s signature would have failed verification. If “slab even if verification fails” was not checked for that particular signature then the book would not have been slabbed due to the artist’s signature failing verification
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Carrierdealer private msg quote post Address this user
They did one of mine like that.
They sent a coa but did not slap or grade it.
It was a blank cover with original art.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Did you pay extra for the VSP? If you didn't add that charge they wont grade it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Carrierdealer private msg quote post Address this user
I submitted about 20 comics at a con. Some were signed. I ask all to slabbed and graded and the ones signed to be certified. This was the only one that was not slabbed or graded.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Correct paper work? I sat down with a CBCS rep with a British accent and she walked me through all of it. Was my first time submitting a book so I wouldn't know if there is correct paper work. The art was done by a lesser known artist but on the paper work I have there is no box to check for slab anyways. VSP on the book for 3 sigs
Post 7 IP   flag post
@76muss So yeah, I think it was the artist's signature that might have gotten it rejected. Yeah, the physical paperwork they have at conventions doesn't mention the option but it is part of the online submission form, which means it will default to one of the two options when the order is input into the system. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's currently possible to check previous orders to see what that option was set to for a given book
Post 8 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite if thats the case shouldn't have I received an email or explanation or something as well as a refund?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@76muss A notification, not necessarily. If the order was input to not encapsulate if verification fails then they’d just be following the instructions on the order so it may not trigger a need to contact the customer.

As for a refund, they might not refund the verification fees seeing as the verification work was done. I do believe the grading fees should’ve been refunded. That does require the order going back to the billing department, which notmallly hamdles the order when it is first received, not towards the end like in this situation. It might have been an interdepartmental miscommunication. I’ve had cases where I’ve been told by Customer Service that I would be refunded the shipping costs for sending a book with an error back to them to fix and I would have to hound them a bit for that to get sent to billing to finally handle the refund.

Definitely something to bring up when you call them. I’d imagine they’ll either offer to refund some or all of the fees for that book, especially if it’s due to the option that is missing from the paper forms, or they may be willing to grade and encapsulate the book for no additional cost.

Just a heads up, if the artist cannot be verified and you choose to still encapsulate the book, the sketch and unverified signature may be counted against the grade. In which case, you may want to consider, instead of having the book graded, to have them label it as ART instead. The book would get a red label, the Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti signatures would be listed on the label, and it would say something like “name and sketch on cover” instead of listing the artist’s name and it would say “ART” instead of listing a grade
Post 10 IP   flag post
600448 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?