Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
It would have been so much easier if OP just had provided the link sigh.

@comicsforme apologize

There is nothing odd in the auction though. OP can not bid $79 as that has already been bid. It would have registered if he had bid $80 or high
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
Im not crying wolf just the truth and the papper work shows it.Next time i will keep it to my self. You guys can learn it the hard way next time it happens to you.I see you guys cry wolf all day with problems but i say one thing and some of you guys attack in stead of taking some ones word.This was not to hurt any one only to help for the next person in this problem.I only asked about it through customer serv and they thought that something was wrong.Only trying to protect me and you guys and others next time.End of line....
next time, use Gixen.com to place snipe bids, entering bids manually is nuts.
Post 52 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
What is the difference between bidding your max amount that you are willing to pay, or using a snipe program?
Post 53 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
If you want to snipe something and WIN at the last second.... spike bid $1000 over what you want in the last 8 seconds of auction end. You'll win no matter what because the people trying to snipe can't snipe to meet that number quick enough.

Sure, there's an inherent risk you might pay significantly over what you wanted, but you'll win no matter what. Rarely does it go beyond what you wanted. This is my experience when trying to buy Ninja Turtle toys from Peter Laird's account or similar items I wanted to win with definite results.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
What is the difference between bidding your max amount that you are willing to pay, or using a snipe program?

It just works out, that other people are less likely to bid higher if they don't have much time to think it over. It's related to the concept of "anchoring." A book's worth is partially determined by the current bid. By keeping the current bid low - i.e., by not revealing your desired bid until the last second - you taper down the perception of value for the book you want.

In practical terms, if you bid the highest value you are comfortable paying at the last second, instead of days in advance, you will generally pay less for these books.

It works in reverse, too. You are less likely to overvalue a book yourself if you don't get into a bidding war too early. (Or at all.) So if you do continue your method, of simply entering the max amount you are willing to pay days in advance, then you should not monitor the auction at all. Just check out what happened after it is over. Removes the risk of "reconsidering" the book's value based on other high bids.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I misspoke. I said "A book's worth is partially determined by the current bid." Of course, I meant perceived worth. Which is almost, but not quite, the same thing.
Post 56 IP   flag post
598062 56 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?