CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Marvel Comics Regains Conan License5246

Collector HammitChris private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammitChris
I wonder if Buffy the Vampire Slayer will eventually make it over to Marvel too? With Disney buying the rights to the show in the Fox deal, I could see them moving the comic over from Dark Horse. A Buffy/Blade/Morbius crossover would be cool! The Buffy comic series has a cult following too, so theres money to be made.

Are they still making Buffy comics?

Yes, Dark Horse makes them.
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Sword play just doesn't cut it (pun intended) with the upcoming generation. They would not be interested in the traditional Conan model.

Movie goers nowadays want bigger and better special effects, huge guns, jokes, and drama between hot young people.

What of that does a traditional Conan offer?

At best, a Conan movie would be a "B" movie. But most likely a "C" movie. Just like when Arnold did him. No one cared much and for sure no one paid money to see it.

Except for fantasy statues and pictures, Conan is a dead franchise. IMHO.

I would not buy a Conan book, unless it had a naked female on the cover (I have a few of that one). Not for the nakedness (plenty of that around). But for the scarceness.

Ask a Gen X'er or Y'er what they think of Conan and they will reply: "Love his show, he is hilarious".
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Well . . . Conan IS hilarious.

But as far as the Barbarian? I'm a story guy. Special Effects are cool, but story is what I want. If they can tell me a good story, I'm in.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Well . . . Conan IS hilarious.

Conan O'brien will do ANYTHING to get a laugh, no matter how degrading or silly.

Not my cup of tea.

I do like Conan the Barbarian though.
Post 54 IP   flag post
I love his self-deprecating humor & improvisational skills. But It can be immature & certainly isn't for everyone.
Post 55 IP   flag post

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I love his self-deprecating humor & improvisational skills. But It can be immature & certainly isn't for everyone.

Conan O'Brien is hilarious!! proof of that is he was head writer on the Simpson's during their best seasons.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe Disney wants to make a John Carter/Conan crossover movie?
Post 57 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Sword play just doesn't cut it (pun intended) with the upcoming generation. They would not be interested in the traditional Conan model.

Movie goers nowadays want bigger and better special effects, huge guns, jokes, and drama between hot young people.

At best, a Conan movie would be a "B" movie. But most likely a "C" movie. Just like when Arnold did him. No one cared much and for sure no one paid money to see it.

I would not buy a Conan book, unless it had a naked female on the cover (I have a few of that one). Not for the nakedness (plenty of that around). But for the scarceness.

Ask a Gen X'er or Y'er what they think of Conan and they will reply: "Love his show, he is hilarious".

I respectfully disagree. Kids love swords, knives, etc... Such as the popularity of AMC's "Into the Bad Lands" as well as Walking Dead (Michone's Katana, etc..) Frank Miller's "300" battle scenes also come to mind. The "Forged in Fire" series is also very popular. People absolutely love blades in all shapes and sizes and the history associated with them. The ultra popular movie franchise of "Pirates of the Caribbean" is also a strong testament that swashbuckling sword and sorcery are very popular among the youth if done right with strong story and characters.

I think the traditional Conan model has lots of potential, if it were presented right. No hooky Arnold stuff, but Barbaric Violence, Sexy Wenches, with an unlimited array of alien creatures at your disposal. Beings how the "Predators" have spanned many time era's it would not be out of place to see them come do some sport hunting in the Conan era.

I buy lots of Conan Books and love each and every one!
Post 58 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

I respectfully disagree. Kids love swords, knives, etc... Such as the popularity of AMC's "Into the Bad Lands" as well as Walking Dead (Michone's Katana, etc..) Frank Miller's "300" battle scenes also come to mind. The "Forged in Fire" series is also very popular. People absolutely love blades in all shapes and sizes and the history associated with them. The ultra popular movie franchise of "Pirates of the Caribbean" is also a strong testament that swashbuckling sword and sorcery are very popular among the youth if done right with strong story and characters.

I think the traditional Conan model has lots of potential, if it were presented right. No hooky Arnold stuff, but Barbaric Violence, Sexy Wenches, with an unlimited array of alien creatures at your disposal. Beings how the "Predators" have spanned many time era's it would not be out of place to see them come do some sport hunting in the Conan era.

I buy lots of Conan Books and love each and every one!

No, he's right. Sword and sorcery won't sell, I mean no one likes Game of Thrones, right?
Post 59 IP   flag post
I think @conditionfreak was referring to the fact that the previous Conan films haven't been special effects extravaganzas. Something modern audiences expect, which is absolutely true.

But "Game of Thrones" certainly proves there is an audience if they strike the right balance of story and wow factor.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Game of Thrones is popular because of the close relation to the Walking Dead theme, and because of drama.

Not because of swords or knives.

Even Michonne is using her blade less and less. But doing the drama thing more and more. While throwing in some sex to boot.

How many kids that you know, play with sticks and garbage cans lids like Vikings? How many play video games with sword fighting? Some, but few indeed.

It is about guns, hot looking men and women, sex, and special effects off the wall.

Of course this is all my opinion. Yours may vary.

I have bought a lot of comic books. But I have NEVER bought a Conan comic book for the story. And I have NEVER paid money to see a sword and sorcery movie. Unless you count Wonder Woman, and that was because she is hot.

Think about this. Fencing in the Olympics. How long do the assaults last usually? Two seconds maybe.

Sounds exciting. LOL

But maybe I am wrong. Let's revisit this after another Conan movie. If one happens. And it is obviously going to happen, because sword fighting is so awesome to the general public.

Maybe the next Marvel movie will star The Black Knight. Uh, no.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Well, @conditionfreak may be onto something. After all, the last attempt to reboot Conan in 2011 did not go so well from a financial perspective. People just didn't show up. So, whatever the case may be, hollywood will have to change their approach for their next stab at the franchise (pun intended).

I wonder if Arnie is still hoping to get 'The Legend of Conan' off the ground?
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector Menoth79 private msg quote post Address this user
Game of thrones has some great action/battles. Lets see: swords..fighting..battles..nudity..magic..dragons..high death rate..politics..undead..bastard villians. Basically everything that Conan thrives on. You cant say that it wont sell....because it does and HBO is laughing it's ass off to the bank. Umm. .. It may be the most successful show in history. Howard wrote all this kind of stuff WAY before Game of Thrones. I challenge Marvel/Disney to do better.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menoth79
Game of thrones has some great action/battles. Lets see: swords..fighting..battles..nudity..magic..dragons..high death rate..politics..undead..bastard villians. Basically everything that Conan thrives on. You cant say that it wont sell....because it does and HBO is laughing it's ass off to the bank. Umm. .. It may be the most successful show in history. Howard wrote all this kind of stuff WAY before Game of Thrones. I challenge Marvel/Disney to do better.

Obviously condition freak knows what sells and understands that GoT is just Walking Dead with dragons thrown in.

Movies like Beauty and the Beast, Despicable Me 3 and IT followed right along with his success formula.

I suspect if Disney could make a decent John Carter movie, which did MUCH better globally than domestic, they could make a good Conan movie.
Post 64 IP   flag post
600879 64 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?