Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeQuestions

Opinions/Suggestions?5242

Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
So I’ve got a handful of Marvel Spotlight 28’s that are in great condition with one big exception...it looks like the books were all stacked before the ink completely dried and both front and back have residual markings.

How much of a grade hit would a production error like this be, and is there any way to improve the chances of a better grade?

Thanks!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
even without the ink transfer..i would grade the example about an 8.5-9.0....so not sure of that is even worth it. A press may help that back right corner. Maybe try some wonder bread or magic sponge (no H2O).
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure if it's a grade hit, but definitely effects value...I'd say figure out what their grade is without the ink defect, then cut the value in half. But that's just a guess.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Some comics have pretty unstable inks, I notice the black inks on late Silver ff’s and some early justice leagues, maybe those too. Ink, like green kool-aid in your liver, is forever I fear, and getting a book like that graded, not worth it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Ink, like green kool-aid in your liver, is forever I fear

Not sure what you're talking about, but that just gave me flashbacks to my favorite sugary beverage growing up...

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
That can even has a picture of a liver on it. Wish I had a garage full. That green dye is better than ink for your insides!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Not sure if it's a grade hit, but definitely effects value...I'd say figure out what their grade is without the ink defect, then cut the value in half. But that's just a guess.

I think it'll substantially affect the grade but not sure by how much. I agree with the above on how to place a value on the book.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the input. I had about 20 of these books and half had the staining. Ugh!
Post 8 IP   flag post
601358 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?