Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ebay sellers - counteroffers5241

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Fellow ebay sellers - what is your preference in the situation where a buyer make an offer - you make a counter followed by the buyer making a counter which is lower than the original offer.

For these smart people I tend to decline and block, but what is your preference?

Decline
Counter with an offer which is higher than your original counter
Not respond and let the 48 hours pass?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I always respond to offers even if it is to decline lowball offers.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
If offer is ridiculously low I counter a buck or two off my ask ( ferinstence: asking $150, bid $25, counter $149). I've had people come way up to reasonable offers, stick to low-ball offers, or just ignore my counter.

Don't see the need to block someone for a low-ball offer or offering less than original offer - why would you do that?

If you take these things personally maybe you need to go into a different line of business. I only block trolls or people who I did business with but made crazy claims or were incredibly difficult to the point it wasn't worth my time to deal with them ever again.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing to do whether an offer is lowball or not.

Let's say the original bin price is $100
Buyer make an offer on $75
I as seller counter with $85, whereafter the buyer immediately responds with an offer of $65

Pretty much a waste of my time which is why I tend to block this kind of buyers - and they do come up from time to time
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@poka sometimes that is just an American way of negotiation, not to be meant as insult. My sister got a house that way. Offered 60k less than asking, bank countered with 20k less, she countered with 100k less, then they offered what her original offer was!

If ebay gives me 3 chances, I’m going to go lower than I’m willing to pay on all but my last offer. I dont blame anyone for any offer except the last chance one, that is the true offer.

There is nothing more rude than just ignoring an offer though, both buyer and seller.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
If I respond to an offer with something lower than my asking price and the buyer responds with an even lower offer than what they started with I would just reject it. No need to ban them, they might wise up and come crawling back.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
There is nothing more rude than just ignoring an offer though, both buyer and seller.

I find low ball offers to be extremely rude. Sometimes when I get one on Comic Connect I might let it sit for a while since I am unable to comment like I can on eBay.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Mickcatron private msg quote post Address this user
Shrewbeer makes a very good point, but I feel like it's not exactly apples to apples; and I think that's the problem. Comics aren't houses or cars and I feel like the negotiation process tends to be a little different.

Anyway, on ebay if I either make or receive a "lowball" offer, I usually include a note with reasoning behind the offer.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@poka I've bid on a few of your items; I find your pricing acceptable and haven't tried to haggle you to death...yet.

I assume you, @shrewbeer , & @drchaos are all pricing reasonably when posting items for sale on eBay. What do you consider "low-ball"/disrespectful? I don't think its necessarily people trying to be disrespectful, some people post books for sums that would prove the saying "a fool and their money are easily parted." When I make offers I include a message w/ my reasoning; usually something along the lines of "based on the provided photos, I see (enter condition here); as a result this is my offer."

When someone is trying to sell a $100 comic for $1000+, I have no problem making an offer of $75-100; its not designed to be insulting, its a fair offer for the value of the item. If the seller is motivated to move the book, and/or willing to make a fair profit, I'll get the book; if they are determined to fleece a well-intentioned-yet-naïve person out of 10x the book's value, I won't.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
A lot of the times I wonder if sellers on comic sites are actually trying to sell their comics or there are buyers who don't know the current market value of a comic. I go to comic connect and look at the asking price for a comic I want and it usually is 1.5x to 2x current market value. I am looking at you Demon 1 sellers
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I set up my best offers to automatically decline anything that would be insulting to me. That way, any offers that make it to me are reasonable enough to try to negotiate.

@BabaLament my books are very reasonably priced. Except one. I always have one up that is a “I dont wanna sell this but for this price I will” book 😁
Post 11 IP   flag post
@BabaLament I consider a low ball offer to be half or less of the asking price. Exactly what percentage constitutes and insult depends on the book I guess.

Most of my pricing is based upon some combination of comparbles and a mark up on whatever my cost is. Sometimes with golden age books when there are little or no comparables I go with my gut. While the prices on these books sometimes seem high, even to me I still get sales.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I immediately reject a counter offer if it's lower than their original offer.

Anymore, I set my BIN listings to reject anything below what I consider reasonable.

Let's say I'm asking $300, I'd probably set the listing to reject anything under $200.

If I forget to do this, I always counter, even when someone sends a lowball offer.

After a little back & forth, I'll usually tell them something like "this is the best I can do". If they offer even less than that, I'll decline.

I've only blocked buyers that got belligerent.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@poka Seems a little weird...I just experienced this on ComicConnect as well.

I don't know how to handle it, but I would just say it's apart of the process I guess - you can also set limits on offers so if they want to waste it on going the wrong direction that's their problem.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
I set up my best offers to automatically decline anything that would be insulting to me. That way, any offers that make it to me are reasonable enough to try to negotiate.

@BabaLament my books are very reasonably priced. Except one. I always have one up that is a “I dont wanna sell this but for this price I will” book 😁

Yes, I agree with this.

Nobody should allow themselves to be insulted, setting a minimum for an offer is the way to go - that way everybody wins.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man Two things:

1. Comic Connect doesn't allow you to auto-reject offers so you anyone can low ball you.

2. My listings on ebay are Buy it now. Even though my listings are not set up to allow best offers anyone can send a message with an offer to get around the settings.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@drchaos

I was talking about negotiations going the opposite direction on CC, not avoiding low-balling.

On eBay both the seller and the buyer can offer above or below their original offer but on CC the seller can counter higher/lower but the buyer can't offer lower.

As for people messaging, there is no avoiding that - that's just how it goes on eBay, but it's a separate thing compared to what @poka was saying.

I have seen people block people based on certain requirements, messages too. Not really sure how to do it though, eBay has been slowly pushing me away these days.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man

My last post was in response to a different poster.

As a seller on Comic Connect I have had the buyer respond to my counter with a lower offer than the original. When I tried to respond with a higher counter it would not let me do it so I simply declined the offer leaving the potential buyer to start over.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
When an offer is submitted, I counter with 50% of the difference (example: asking $100 - offer is $80 = my counter is $90)If that isn't acceptable, I don't sell the book to them. Nothing personal at all & not at all upset.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@drchaos Oh ok, sorry you listed my name with two responses - so I wasn't sure.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@drchaos Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@comic_book_man

My last post was in response to a different poster.

As a seller on Comic Connect I have had the buyer respond to my counter with a lower offer than the original. When I tried to respond with a higher counter it would not let me do it so I simply declined the offer leaving the potential buyer to start over.

True, once offers expire you can go up or down, but when an offer is live a buyer can't go less than their own offer (can go less than someone elses however, I believe) but a seller can counter higher than their last counter. (In my experience, just lived this).
Post 21 IP   flag post
@comic_book_man Maybe it was two different buyers but it did happen to me once where after I countered an offer I got a lower offer.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@drchaos It had to have been, I'm looking at offers I have out there right now and next to my offers it has a minimum listed.

Maybe a seller counter releases the minimum?

My main share toward @poka was that I've had it were I made an offer, it was countered for less, I made another offer, and they countered more.

It just feels like trolling, since it's not different buyers bidding, it's the same seller lol.

Example:

Book listed @ $500.
I offer $375.
Seller counters @ $425.
I offer $400.
Seller counters @ $475.

I'm thinking...wait, what?!
WRONG DIRECTION!
Post 23 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I block people who give low ball offers or reply in a way that irritates me. Don't care for it. There's milllllions of ebayers in the world. 1 less is no loss on anyone, especially me. I don't "have" to sell the book to you if I don't want to.

#sorrynotsorry
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@poka you can block whomever you want, I have no opinion on it, it’s your store. But curious why you are asking here? It seems you might have doubts about your policy to block low ballers?
Post 25 IP   flag post
@KingNampa I think the best policy is to set buyer requirements and minimum offers, and talk to every customer who messages you within reason. This is a recipe for good customer service and smooth transactions with reputable prices/buyers you've allowed.

@poka Your personal preferences for what you expect don't translate well to eBay unless you make it known in the description, requirements, or via message. So I'd be clear in the listing, and if you're not specific, expect anything. Haha
Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I "wondered" why that one was listed on your ebay page. Pretty "cheeky!"
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
If I find a listing that is unreasonably high, (let's say a book is listed for $1,900, but the highest ever sales I can find is $1,300 and that was 5 years ago, with more recent sales in the $1,000 range), I offer $900 as my first offer. Do you consider that lowballing, or being realistic, or should I just move on if the seller really thinks they are going to get anything close to their asking price? (Or should I just consider a book priced that high a hostage situation with a ransom set and report it to the authorities?)
Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I think that's realistic actually. Can't fault anyone for shooting for the moon, right?
Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Lowballers on reasonably priced books should be ignored....Resonable offers on Highball priced books should be acknowledged.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598072 63 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?