Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

How do you guys ship? USPS Question5222

Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
So what shipping are you guys using? I just sent off 4 books to be pressed in a Gemini-like mailer box and it cost $12.75, with insurance it was more like $18 and some change. Granted that was for 2 day priority, but standard shipping was only like a buck cheaper.

Do you designate this as media mail to get a cheaper rate or is there some secret handshake I'm not aware of? This hobby is going to bankrupt me if that shipping rate keeps up.

Also, props to our USPS workers who I watched literally throw my package into the bin like they were trying to score a basket with a piece of trash. That was after I asked that same employee to insure the package for $400. Nice.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Look into the legal-sized flat rate envelopes. They're plenty large and often enough to fit a Gemini mailer inside. Shipping is $6.95 for 2-Day Priority Mail shipping and includes insurance up to $50.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Look into the legal-sized flat rate envelopes. They're plenty large and often enough to fit a Gemini mailer inside. Shipping is $6.95 for 2-Day Priority Mail shipping and includes insurance up to $50.

Good to know. Thanks
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Themaxx35 Granted, insurance for $400 in coverage would be like $9.20, not counting the $50 included, so maybe it won't save you all that much, but for general mailing, the flat rate envelope is a pretty good deal
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Package the comics so an elephant could step on them, and they'll most likely survive the USPS.

I try to do bulk, meaning I ship 10+ comics at a time (yeah, pressing and grading that many at a time is $$$$, but I buy/sell/collect so in the end it should even out. Somehow . . .) and I use medium flat rate boxes - depending on insurance it makes it much cheaper by the book.

You can sometimes get away with media mail but if you get caught they'll make you pay and it will delay everything. And it's slower.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
I highly recommend getting a collectors insurance that covers your books even when you are shipping. The insurance through the post office is a joke. I pretty much always ship priority with no extra insurance (if there are any problems in shipping, i can claim through my collectors insurance). I don't usually encourage media mail (not because "you aren't supposed to" ) because priority packages are treated better and handled less than media mail; therefore increasing your chances that books will arrive safely.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
There are three boxes that the post office provides for free that I use to send books by priority mail. Priority mail gives you either $50 or $100 of free insurance (along with free tracking) depending on your eBay seller status. Not sure how exactly but it took me about a year before I got the higher insurance amount.

For slabbed books I use plenty of bubble wrap and pack the slabs into a 1092 Box. The 1092 box easily fits into a 1095 box for extra protection. Sometimes (especially with the newer heavier CGC cases) I might go slightly over but everything should usually weigh just under two pounds.

I packed slabbed magazines the same way but the weight will be closer to 2 pounds six ounces so the cost will be slightly higher.

For raw books I pack them in a cardboard sandwich with plenty of bubble wrap and pack them in a 1097 box. Depending on the number of books you may be able to keep it under one pound.

-------------------
Technically comic books do not qualify for media mail. As USPS is strapped for cash they sometimes inspect these packages and if they catch you they will charge the difference and may also return the package to you instead of delivering it. It really isn't worth saving five bucks if it costs you a negative review on eBay.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I firmly believe this is the USPS "How To" Training Video for handling Media Mail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YrpmZFixp0
Post 8 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I almost always ship USPS Priority Mail which comes with some insurance and tracking built in already. Get a decent scale and use the USPS website to figure out if it’s cheaper to use a Flat Rate Box or not. Also get to know the postal workers and ask them if they have different-sized Medium boxes. Believe it or not, not all Mediums are the same dimensions, and some will work better for slabs than others. Use box within a box (Gemini mailer or equivalent for the inner box) whenever possible for extra protection, and save thick cardboard for rigidity. Comics and slabs should not move at all if they are packaged properly. And use ebay to buy bubble wrap and other packaging materials - they are much cheaper than the post office or Staples for shipping supplies. The post office does supply the Priority boxes for free.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Also, props to our USPS workers who I watched literally throw my package into the bin like they were trying to score a basket with a piece of trash. That was after I asked that same employee to insure the package for $400. Nice.

Sometimes it's just the timing of reading something but this last part over the top pissed me off. We all know it happens but to flaunt it in front of the customer?!?!?👹🔥
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So what shipping are you guys using? I just sent off 4 books to be pressed in a Gemini-like mailer box and it cost $12.75, with insurance it was more like $18 and some change. Granted that was for 2 day priority, but standard shipping was only like a buck cheaper.

Do you designate this as media mail to get a cheaper rate or is there some secret handshake I'm not aware of? This hobby is going to bankrupt me if that shipping rate keeps up.

Just to emphasize what already said. Gemini style package is good but not a guarantee against bended corner. Better off putting the Gemini style is a flat envelope.

Just your own insurance

Never use media mail unless a $1 comic and your are ok with potential consequences
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Themaxx35 you saw how I did it.

Gemini inside of a gemini. Lots of tape, fragile stickers, and 3 day priority mail across the country for $13. If I ship them more local, its around $8.

Gemini mailers are .50

Insurance is what will kill you 😬
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
I personally hand deliver ALL my book sales No, seriously, I do It takes a load of time out of my schedule, and puts hella miles on my Trek, but hey my customers come first!
Post 13 IP   flag post
@VillageIdiot And you somehow still offer Free Shipping!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
Package the comics so an elephant could step on them, and they'll most likely surv

Yeah I am actually pretty confident that the books are okay despite the three point shot by USPS. I've learned to pack them pretty well over the past 2 years, but the cost is just eye watering every time.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Lots of cardboard. Make bricks.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I almost always ship USPS Priority Mail which comes with some insurance and tracking built in already. Get a decent scale and use the USPS website to figure out if it’s cheaper to use a Flat Rate Box or not. Also get to know the postal workers and ask them if they have different-sized Medium boxes. Believe it or not, not all Mediums are the same dimensions, and some will work better for slabs than others. Use box within a box (Gemini mailer or equivalent for the inner box) whenever possible for extra protection, and save thick cardboard for rigidity. Comics and slabs should not move at all if they are packaged properly. And use ebay to buy bubble wrap and other packaging materials - they are much cheaper than the post office or Staples for shipping supplies. The post office does supply the Priority boxes for free.

Some people use medium flat rate boxes to ship slabs but I never do. There is not enough room at the top and bottom to use the amount of bubble wrap that I feel is necessary to protect the slab from harm.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
One of the many things I have learned on this forum is drchaos’ way of shipping slabs, using 2 boxes, is superior imo. I do know of a book being damaged in the medium box because it is just not quite long enough.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@drchaos - Corey, you can get a Gemini holder around 1 or 2 slabs and fit that inside a Priority Mail 2DPCON-13-B-0008 Mailing Box with a little over an inch on either side.

Or you could use a larger box, such as a Regional Rate Box, which is usually less expensive than a Large Flat Rate Box. Use the USPS website to calculate what box/option is the best price.

Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

All USPS packages are treated to the same level of abuse; priority boxes don't get any kind of white glove treatment.

If you're shipping high dollar raws, I would strongly suggest NOT using a Gemini, inside of a priority flat rate envelope....refer to this comment**** by the Maxx35, and than consider how books in a gemini mailer can end up.

Gemini mailers are fine, but you really should use a priority box to double box them.

Gemini boxes can easily be crushed, and when they are crushed, there is very little give room in a gemini mailer to absorb pressure.

I use boxes from this site, which are 12 x9x2...much sturdier than gemini mailers, and you can layer the book(s) in bubblewrap.

https://www.associatedbag.com/ShowCategory.aspx?Code=BOX

I actually have never shipped any books to CBCS or CGC for grading, I always sub books at shows.

In about a ,month, after I have a couple hundred books pressed, I am taking a ride to Florida to drop off subs at CBCS and CGC.

I can't wait to the next show, got too many books that are movie tie ins that will cool down if I wait 3 months for the Big Apple.

It will actually be cheaper than shipping them, and I don't have to worry about them getting dicked up enroute.

Quote:

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Love this kid, I send him freebies all the time.. just ask him.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdvwzCnn2Ka/?taken-by=casualcomics

"... sellers PLEASE STOP SHIPPING ANY COMICS AS MEDIA MAIL!!!! For many reasons but the main reason is that is is AGAINST USPS POLICY! They have every right to randomly inspect a package and if it's a comic book shipping as media mail, there is a chance you (the buyer) and them (the seller) will never see that package again. Just stop. One comic can be sent first class easy. But priority is the way to go. $6 and it's insured! It's a no brainer. I partially blame the buyers these days because they whine about shipping prices and act like it should ALWAYS be free. No, little fella. Shipping cost. Supplies cost (for the most part). So, don't be an idiot. Ship stuff right. .."
Post 21 IP   flag post
@esaravo One thing I like about USPS boxes is that they are free. USPS will also ship them to you for free.

How much do the Gemini mailers go for and where is the best place to buy them?

Thanks!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Gemini mailers will work, but I prefer the sturdier cardboard of the hotflips mailers. Available on ebay.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Gemini mailers will work, but I prefer the sturdier cardboard of the hotflips mailers. Available on ebay.

Yeah, I like how they aren't perfprated i.e. it is a real box.

Still, I prefer uline or associatednag boxes.

They are an inch thicker and crushproof up to 200 pounds.

Try sitting on a gemini mailer....it'll cave in due to the perforatrd edges.

Sit on a uline or associatedbag box and it will not cave in.

They are cheapee than hot flips mailwrs, too.

IIRC, they are .60 cents in bulk.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@esaravo One thing I like about USPS boxes is that they are free. USPS will also ship them to you for free.

How much do the Gemini mailers go for and where is the best place to buy them?

Thanks!

Corey - I purchased like 100 of that kind and 100 of the flash mailers from Gemini Comic Supply on ebay. It’s not worth it unless you buy in bulk. They will combine shipping which saves you a lot too.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Just a tip of the hat about Hot Flips, wether you're buying bags/boards or boxes from them, ordering off of their site is cheaper than buying the same item in their eBay store.

If they don't have a specific thing shown as in stock, or you'd rather order over the phone, just call them.

Charlie is a good dude.👍🤙
Post 26 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.kaptainmyke.com/comics/submit/index.htm
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

I hate styrofoam peanuts, so I will often put them in ziplock bags if I resort to using them.
I put multiple bagged/boarded comics in a magazine bag and tape the magazine bag to the cardboard. It adds an additional cushion for the comics to slide, without taking a hard impact should the box be thrown really hard onto concrete. I'd rather a bagged & boarded comic slide in a magazine bag that have the comic slide in it's own bag.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@Gabriel85301 For that set of 70 Cap. Marvel books you have in QC; this should do it.

Outer Layer: https://www.uline.com/BL_441/Heavy-Duty-Wood-Crates

Outer Layer Stuffing: https://www.uline.com/BL_2003/Uline-Industrial-Peanuts (20lbs Bag)

Inner Layer: https://www.uline.com/BL_1980/Pelican-Equipment-Cases?keywords=pelican (22 x 17 x 8" ) Holds 12 slabs per case -> 6 cases.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

I hate styrofoam peanuts, so I will often put them in ziplock bags if I resort to using them.
I put multiple bagged/boarded comics in a magazine bag and tape the magazine bag to the cardboard. It adds an additional cushion for the comics to slide, without taking a hard impact should the box be thrown really hard onto concrete. I'd rather a bagged & boarded comic slide in a magazine bag that have the comic slide in it's own bag.

I tried re-using peanuts but I have stopped using them altogether. They are heavier than bubble wrap, are less flexible, and are more likely to result in a cracked case.

I try to save them to give to friends that still use them. I was very frustrated with My Comic Shop when they sent me so many of them with my books (but at least the books arrived safely).
Post 30 IP   flag post
597994 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?