Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern Age

The start of my comic wall5218

Collector Kaleljll private msg quote post Address this user
Well if finally started displaying my graded comics in my game room. I saw someone else on youtube that used roofing flashing for it so I copied him. It works really well. I used painters tape to mock them up and make sure they were level before drilling into the studs of the walls. I used a punch to make a dent in the metal before drilling so the bit would not slip. Hopefilly this will help anyone else that is trying to figure out a way to display their comics.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
Okay now that's what I'm talking about! Bravo
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Drahcir private msg quote post Address this user
I use those same roofing pieces on my wall - they really look nice when all set up.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector tim private msg quote post Address this user
I really love that idea! Thanks so much for sharing.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
That looks really cool but won't sun and fluorescent light damage you books?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Very cool. 🏆
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
That looks really cool but won't sun and fluorescent light damage you books?

Very nce, but also concerned about light damage. Thoughts anyone?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I didn't even think about light damage. I have seen a lot of other collectors display their books on the wall so it didn't even cross my mind. The florescent light damage won't happen because I'm not using florescent lights in my room.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
very cool idea...I may try this in a bedroom with limited light. The wall I have now requires me to continuously take the slabs down because of the sun light issue. They only go up once in a while and only for a day or two (which is better than never enjoying them, but a pain)
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
It’s not flourecent lights that are the worst, it’s the sun. Unless you are in a room with zero natural light and LED bulbs, at the least you need 99% uva and uvb protection. Cut clear UV film to size and put it on the slabs. It can be had cheap on amazon here

Either that or put each slab in a mylite, the mylar-D protects decently against UV.

Very nice display!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Kaleljll Nice display man.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome. Well done.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
It’s not flourecent lights that are the worst, it’s the sun. Unless you are in a room with zero natural light and LED bulbs, at the least you need 99% uva and uvb protection. Cut clear UV film to size and put it on the slabs. It can be had cheap on amazon here

Either that or put each slab in a mylite, the mylar-D protects decently against UV.

Very nice display!

Is it direct sunlight or any sunlight that will damage them? There will be very little indirect sunlight in the room so should I worry?
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleljll
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

Very nice display!

Is it direct sunlight or any sunlight that will damage them? There will be very little indirect sunlight in the room so should I worry?

Short term, no. Long term, yes. Put a slab in a dark safe for a year, and put the same book on the wall in indirect sunlight for a year (say in a room that has a window but the sun never hits the wall the books are on). You will see the difference, the one that was exposed will not have as vibrant of colors.

On the other hand, put one of those slabs in direct sunlight, and after a year the damage would be extremely obvious.

Here's an analogy for you: ever been sunburnt on a cloudy day? Those are the worst, you go to the beach and think hey the sun isn't shining no need for sunblock! Then you wake up the next morning with a wicked sunburn. Not as bad as if you were in direct sunlight, but you still got hit with UV.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
It's good to have these talks.

All light will bleach books, unfortunately.

Sunlight, like shrewbeer wrote, will ruin books almost immediately

Indirect sunlight will still destroy color, just at a slower rate.

Simple indoor incandescent or led light will remove color over time.

There are plastic films you can buy and apply over books that are bagged or slabbed, but I don't know of anyone that has done a real, apples to apples field test over years of observation to know exactly the differences.

I hate that one side of collecting, I'm too chicken to display my babies, thus the wife argues why I do it then in the first place.
Post 15 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I would keep your books in boxes, brah

They will get faded otherwise. That's what photos are for!
Post 16 IP   flag post
I really appreciate everyone's input and recommendations. Against the popular vote I'm going to leave them up for the time being. They are art and need to be seen and not stuck away in a closet IMO.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I really appreciate everyone's input and recommendations. Against the popular vote I'm going to leave them up for the time being. They are art and need to be looked out and not stuck away in a closet IMO.

Lol, the popular vote isn't what gets elected anyway

Side note, a buddy of mine is getting a collection of big art prints of famous covers and having those hung on his wall. I thought it was so good I might steal his idea.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
That's probably more ideal
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I really appreciate everyone's input and recommendations. Against the popular vote I'm going to leave them up for the time being. They are art and need to be looked out and not stuck away in a closet IMO.

One thing you can do is swap them out every month or two....not sure how big your collection is but if you rotate them out, it will reduce the amount of time they are sitting in a lit area. Also, modern books, while still affected by indirect light, can probably handle it a little better than older books on older paper/ink; so maybe think of that when evaluating what books to display.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user

I’m with ya Kaleljll, display what you like. I am starting to put mine up again after a remodel, 45 degree ceiling so they hang from hooks. I rotate them somewhat, and the blind is often drawn, but I like covers for art, and reproductions are like fake diamonds. You can see a couple books I bought after seeing them here, the Brave and Bold and the Vampirella
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

I’m with ya Kaleljll, display what you like. I am starting to put mine up again after a remodel, 45 degree ceiling so they hang from hooks. I rotate them somewhat, and the blind is often drawn, but I like covers for art, and reproductions are like fake diamonds. You can see a couple books I bought after seeing them here, the Brave and Bold and the Vampirella

That is an awesome idea! That looks so cool. I see we both have a copy of new mutants 89 that is a 9.4.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Silver Surfer 4. Nice.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I would keep your books in boxes, brah

They will get faded otherwise. That's what photos are for!

I keep my graded books in black plastic boxes till I figure out how to store them. I have HULK 102 graded by CBCS at a 9.6. I can't see myself putting it out for display.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
A friend has a nice collection of books (ASM 129, Hulk 180 / 181, stuff like that)
He put UV film on the slab, uv film on his windows and led lights. He says he hasn't had any discoloration.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I just had new windows that are low E installed throughout my house so they have uv protection in them already and I have blackout blinds. 95% of the time there is zero light in my game room.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
High grade copies go in a box & may never again see the light of day until I open a retail location.

Low grade copies go on the wall; not particularly worried about damage.

Problem solved.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I added another section today. I will need to cut a smaller section to the right to finish the length of the wall.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Good to see your “precious” out of box jail. I display about 80 slabs or books, although I have about 20 more in other rooms. looks like you can beat that if you want
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Kalejill, well played. Well done.

I saw how my LCS did something similar back in 2014, and I took many pictures of it.
This is how I am going to display my CAROL DANVERS books as well.
Your setup came out beautiful.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600707 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?