Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC_II
That being said, I am trying out some of Brubaker's new stuff so we can see where that goes

And he's the one that killed Nomad? I pick up a comic to read what Nomad was up to and he dies in the same issue? No thanks. I'm glad I didn't actually buy the comic.

Hm.
I'm not sure. He is the writer most associated with creating the winter soldier
Post 51 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't blown the engine yet on my drive but I can hear some misfires. My collecting habits even over the last couple of years have evolved and - yes - I've been burned out on specific aspects of collecting but not the hobby in general.
Post 52 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I took something of a shotgun approach when I re-entered the hobby almost a decade ago. Now I have already made many changes in what and how I buy as I have become more focused.

I put a lot of time and money into buying comics old and new as well as getting tons of signatures last year. I am about to spend a lot of money on grading fees later this month. I am going to learn a lot when these books are up on the eBay store and expect to change my buying habits in a big way after this lesson (good or bad) has been learned.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
My approach to our wonderful hobby, and one that works quite well for me is the following:

Trying to complete my GA,SA,BA runs, mixed in with 'key' CA and moderns in as high a grade copy as I can afford. Hoarding particular "favorite" books, collecting some OA (published covers and splash pages only), Statues, ect... and I still love this hobby almost as much as when I was 12! Make no mistake, what I just wrote is still daunting and a constant challenge. However, the linear focus to my goals is solid for me personally. I'll go months buying absolutely nothing, and then see what i'd like, and bang!!! Happy camper

For me, its vital to find that groove as we age, that comfort level in your collecting, that will allow you to acquiesce such into your daily life. As we age the focus is paramount to overall enjoyment
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user

Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector Pixx_L private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
How many people are in the hobby due to just simple nostalgia?

Me! I like the art form, but the stories are not a source of entertainment for me anymore. The quality of the published content doesn't meet my expectations anymore.

Hm...

Which books could you say really hit those love notes for when they were solid entertainment?

Jim Shooter Valiant
"Days of Future Past" (X-Men)
Pretty much any EC
Most 70's Marvel
60's Marvel was fun.

I don't really see why so many people that are into comics are still into dc/marvel for exactly the reasons you describe. I'm not as much of an avid reader anymore but I still follow certain people I grew up with. Jeff Smith for example.

If you haven't tried Blade of the Immortal there's never been a better time as the Omnibus editions are coming out and are particularly cheap.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixx_L
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
How many people are in the hobby due to just simple nostalgia?

Me! I like the art form, but the stories are not a source of entertainment for me anymore. The quality of the published content doesn't meet my expectations anymore.

Hm...

Which books could you say really hit those love notes for when they were solid entertainment?

Jim Shooter Valiant
"Days of Future Past" (X-Men)
Pretty much any EC
Most 70's Marvel
60's Marvel was fun.

I don't really see why so many people that are into comics are still into dc/marvel for exactly the reasons you describe. I'm not as much of an avid reader anymore but I still follow certain people I grew up with. Jeff Smith for example.

If you haven't tried Blade of the Immortal there's never been a better time as the Omnibus editions are coming out and are particularly cheap.

Manga themes don't interest me. I may have to change my mind because my girlfriend likes it. LOL!
Post 57 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Manga themes don't interest me. I may have to change my mind because my girlfriend likes it. LOL!

I'm not sure what you mean by manga themes but Blade isn't your typical manga.
Post 58 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 59 IP   flag post

Post 60 IP   flag post

Post 61 IP   flag post

Post 62 IP   flag post

Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixx_L
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I'm not sure what you mean by manga themes but Blade isn't your typical manga.

Generally, the subject matter of their stories do not interest me. I'm not sure why, but the general scope of what they write about is not compelling to me.

Feudal Japan does not interest me. I suffered through Chris Claremont & Frank Miller touching on the subject in the 80's.

It is what it is...
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944

I'm not sure why there are three posts with pictures of this comic and no comments, but it doesn't make me interested in comics as a whole. I appreciate the specific comic for what it is.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:

Nice books πŸ‘πŸ»

Still love Comics Books as much as ever. With of course and maturing and growing sophistication towards all things. I don’t marvel 🀨 in the reading and stories as much as when I was younger. However my appreciation and nostalgia for the hobby is stronger than before.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Generally, the subject matter of their stories do not interest me. I'm not sure why, but the general scope of what they write about is not compelling to me.

There's a lot of immature or action oriented teenage high school stuff that I would agree with you on this about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Feudal Japan does not interest me.

Blade isn't really a feudal Japan story. It doesn't have any interest (historically) in the subject. It simply uses some of it as style & backdrop for its fantastical premise of a former samurai who is given a sacred drink comprised of blood worms by a nun to heal him. The side effect is it makes him immortal and he has to make a deal to try to win back his mortality. This requires him to act as body guard for a young girl on her quest for revenge. The book won an Eisner and it's head and shoulders above anything else in terms of it's artwork and visual story-telling ability. To me it's one of those books like Bone - required reading for anyone that's a fan of the comic medium.

If sci-fi post-apocolyptic stuff is more your thing check out Eden: It's an endless world.

Also there's a French series Sky Doll you can find here in the US now. The art and story are both top notch. There are a couple of collected editions that are fairly cheap.

All of these (per my taste) have fantastical elements but are grounded in some reality in either in their themes or characters or both. They're also unlike much of anything else in either their stories or artwork (eden maybe being the exception though the technical elements are exceptionally well done).
Post 67 IP   flag post
It doesn't matter what the story is if I don't want to read about the backdrop or setting around the story. Walking Dead is a prime example. I don't care if the story is about the characters if I have to read about zombies. I'm not a fan of pure fantasy, because I consider it to be a writer's cop out to avoid reality. I will take a glance at the comics you mention if I'm at a store and they have shelf copies in stock. The sky doll cover above doesn't entice me at all, but I'll glance inside and skim through some pages if I see a copy.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
It doesn't matter what the story is if I don't want to read about the backdrop or setting around the story.

lol you sound like my mother
Post 69 IP   flag post
Maybe we're the same age. LOL!
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I'm not sure why there are three posts with pictures of this comic and no comments, but it doesn't make me interested in comics as a whole. I appreciate the specific comic for what it is.

I figured due to the "Losing Interest" Theme It was a good place to practice posting my Photos to see what they would look like online. It does appear the message board platform reduces the size of your pictures.

Sorry to have bored you

Out
John
Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I'm not a fan of pure fantasy, because I consider it to be a writer's cop out to avoid reality.

Im confused.......aint this like one of those goofy oxymoron thingy dingy's
Post 72 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
Quote:

Nice books πŸ‘πŸ»

@VillageIdiot speaking of nice books, have you seen this tribute image from the Modern Family TV show?

Oh wait, you said nice books!
Post 73 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
Quote:

Nice books πŸ‘πŸ»

@VillageIdiot speaking of nice books, have you seen this tribute image from the Modern Family TV show?

Oh wait, you said nice books!

Hahahahaha...that's is fantastic Nice books & boobs, are a lovely combination!
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Thats a remake of a fairly famous photo of Sophia Loren and Jayne Mansfield

Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Thats a remake of a fairly famous photo of Sophia Loren and Jayne Mansfield

Uhhhh, you meant the one as my avatar? Hence why 'FS' posted it!
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Uhhhh, yeah but I thought some people might not know and wouldnt see it in your avatar. Also, easier to see them larger.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Uhhhh, yeah but I thought some people might not know and wouldnt see it in your avatar. Also, easier to see them larger.

I prefer them larger.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:

Post 79 IP   flag post
Well blow me down Popeye...... Maybe this will reinvigorate some "Interest" on the part of ConditionFreak.

We should all do our best to spark our fellow comic book brother's interest back to par.

Post 80 IP   flag post
600790 81 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?