Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

New Comic Releases Jan 3 - Big Returns5165

Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
It's a week of returns in comic land... The Signal over at DC, Adam Warlock over at Marvel, plus I can't forget the fan-favorite Rogue & Gambit. Did we ask for them to get their own series? Probably not, but it will be VERY interesting to see if they can carry a book, just the two of them (forget supporting cast). I hope it works, since it will mean they'll take more chances on other characters.

Let's dig in!

BOOM! Studios:
Planet of the Apes Ursus 1 - This limited series follows General Ursus through his rise to power and what brought him to the Forbidden Zone. I have been fascinated with Planet of the Apes since watching the films and tv series as a kid in the 70's and 80's, but haven't followed the comics religiously, but this looks like it could be an interesting one with five cover options, including four different artists and a virgin based on another. Here's a look at one of the main covers by Paulo Rivera.

DC Comics:

Batman 38 - "The Origin of Bruce Wayne"... This sounds like a VERY clever way for Tom King to tell a Batman origin. Let's look at it from the perspective of the people of Gotham City MINUS the Batman, or maybe it does include Batman, but as the occassional mystery figure. I'm only reading into this from the description, but Batman / Bruce is hunting for a killer that "puts him face to face with a strage mirror version of his own past," but also Bruce is "forced to relive the worst tragedy of... [his]... life and his parents were murdered..." It's a bit of a confusing and/or VERY mysterious description. I'll say both, but I'm curious. With all of the walks down memory lane and historical "unpacking" of late, since this is a single story, I think it's a must have.

Two cover options - Time Sale (A) and Olivier Coipel (B)

Batman and the Signal 1 - I feel like this book has been coming for six months. Maybe I'm wrong, but was it solicited, delayed, and re-solicited? Regardless, here it is, without a TON of fanfare, but it looks good!! Scott Snyder, Tony Patrick, and Cully Hamner bring us Duke Thomas, out of the shadows, The Signal - the "Day" side of the Dark Knight...

Two cover options - Cully Hamner (A) and Declan Shelvey (B)

Exit Stage Left the Snagglepuss Chronicles 1 - This one was going to go right under my radar, but it's written by Flinstones scribe, Marc Russell, and, as with that book, it seems to be a bit of a boundary pusher. I re-read the description and... wow... 1953 Cold War US, and Snagglepuss is a gay Southern playwright targeted by the House Committee on Un-American Activities? "When powerful forces align to purge show business of its most subersive voices, no one is safe!"

Two cover options - Ben Caldwell and a variant Evan Doc Shaner.

Superman 38 - If you've been keeping track of the "Super Sons of Tomorrow" storyline, it ends here... "With no other choice left, the Batman of Toorrow brings in the Titans of Tomorrow totake on today's Teen Titans-as the lift of Superman's son hangs in the balance!"

Two cover options - Ivan Reis & Oclair Albert and Jonboy Meyers

IDW Publishing:

Star Wars Adventures Forces of Destiny Princess Leia 1 - Around social media and... pretty much anywhere I can... I sing the praises of Star Wars Adventures. I didn't GET the series at first and maybe didn't care, but I picked up some issues for my two-year-old (I know, I know), but read them and LOVED them. Primarily self-contained issues, the art and stories are easily accessible, but good reads and very entertaining. Forces of Destiny itself is a sixteen episode micro-series on the Disney YouTube channel, and there are accompanying toys and, obviously, comics! As mentioned, they are focused on younger audiences, but they are a good / fun read.

Four cover options, but a couple of them may be special variants (exceed or 1:X variants) - Elsa Charretier A and B Covers, Animation Cell, and Annie Wu.

Transformers vs the Visionaries 1 - Since the Transformers are part of a shared universe, we never quite know what kind of crossover may happen next... Well, this time, it's the Visionaries! I'm bringing this one up because of Eisner-Nominated writer, Magdelene Visaggio, who has been tearing it up across the industry over the last couple of years, and is making her IDW debut here. She's at the helm here, so this could be a VERY good story. Worth checking it out! Several cover options, but here's one of the main ones by Fico Ossio...

Image Comics:

Walking Dead 175 - It's a whole new world out there in a new arc, "New World Order"... Since WD doesn't need to tell us a lot to keep people reading, we just know that there are "NEW FRIENDS. NEW ENEMIES. NEW THREATS." One thing we do know, though, is that there will be zombies, right? Anywho, there are two cover options here - Charlie Adlard and one of a new series of covers by Bill Sienkiewicz. These will continue over the six issue storyline and look NICE.

Marvel Comics:

Astonishing X-Men 7 - A new story arc (Act II) is starting up, "A Man Called X", and Marvel is going all in with covers galore... Charles Xavier is back from the dead officially (body and all), and he has a plan to save the world, "whether you want it or not." But the real question here is which "long-lost mutant returns to the world of the X-Men?"

It's a cover explosion here, too... Mike Deodato Jr's main cover, plus a Phil Noto (Variant), Chris Stevens (Variant), Marco Checchetto (Avengers Variant), John Cassaday (Lenticular Variant), Mike McKoneacy (Headshot Variant), and John Tyler Christopher (Trading Card)...

Guardians of the Galaxy 150 - Well, based on the cover homage(ish), advanced solicits, and press-galore, I hope you already know what this one is all about! It's called "The Return of Adam Warlock," so there you go! Also, if you've read press, you may know that Guardians 151 isn't coming, but I wouldn't let that stop you from picking up this issue, because it leads right into Infinity. The cancellation of Guardians 151 I believe to just be a temporary thing to get us through the Infinity event, then Guardians will be back with a vengeance. So, pick this up...

Lots of cover options here... Alex Ross (standard cover is lenticular), John Tyler Christopher (Trading Card Variant), Aaron Kuder (Variant), Michael Allred (Variant), Mahmud Asrar (Avengers Variant), Skottie Young (Variant), Ron Lim Remastered Variant, and Ron Lim Remastered "Sketch" Variant.

Rise of the Black Panther 1 - Here we have the Secret Origin of the Black Panther... You know how we always have some sort of book come out right around when a film is coming and it's not always the RIGHT book, but it tends to sell, because it's a new number one or a one-shot or whatever? Well, this might be the RIGHT book at the RIGHT time for the Black Panther... Ta-Nehisi Coates, teamed with Evan Narcisse with art from Paul Renaud working together on the early years of T-Challa, a man destined to become king.

Several cover options here, including Brian Stelfreeze (A), Paul Renaud (B), Chris Sprouse (C), Tyler Kirkham & Arif Prianto (Avengers), Blank, and Movie.

Rogue & Gambit 1 - X-Men's favorite couple are back, but this time in their own series. As far as series go, in this day and age, it seems like a no-brainer to put the two of them together. If we can have so many solo-series, why not a duo of what the people want? It's five issues, which may be all people want. I'll call it a good test, and I hope it works!!!

Several cover options here... Kris Anka (A), Steve Skroce (B), Bilquis Evely (C), Mike McKone (Headshot), Danial Acuna (Avengers Variant), and Blank...

X-Men Grand Design 2 - Just in case you're not paying attention... Be sure to pick up Ed Piskor's Grand Design issue 2... Just sayin'!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I’m getting the Apes book, WD and Batman WK 4. Probably some other stuff, too.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy

Have you been buying the BOOM! Planet of the Apes books? Good reading? I always have a hard time walking away from the classic PotA movies and tv, but the modern ones, I haven't taken the time to watch (heard they're good, of course... Comics, I haven't taken the time to read, either.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@thelastbard - the Apes books are excellent. I enjoy them a lot.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
@thelastbard - the Apes books are excellent. I enjoy them a lot.

Cool! Maybe I'll have to start some trade hunting. I really doubt I'll have a hard time on that front.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user

I can't help when I look at this cover and think of the bold and the beautiful clips from The Soup...

[
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:

I like the classic magazine cover variant (not the virgin, but the one with Issue #30)...unfortunately it's sold out at Midtown...doubt any of my LCS's will carry it.

When I first saw it I actually thought it was going to be sold for 75 cents!!!

Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

I like the classic magazine cover variant (not the virgin, but the one with Issue #30)...unfortunately it's sold out at Midtown...doubt any of my LCS's will carry it.

I saw Shawn Hudachko has one prepped for his live sale on FaceBook... If you're friends with him on FaceBook, you might reach out to him to see if he'll sell it to you before the Live, which starts in THIRTY MINUTES!!!! He did not have them on sale on his web site, which mean he didn't have many... maybe just 1-2.

https://www.comicselitecomics.com/
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Jesus

Christ!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Jesus

Christ!

%15 savings off the list price! Imagine what the value is of a 9.8 signature series slab!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Ok, definitely get Batman 38! Looks like people are gobbling it up... Tim Sale cover over the Coipel, of course. Rumor is that this introduces a new villain and there's something having to do with Wonder Woman in there. I was interested based on the modified origin re-telling, but there's more to it apparently. I had pre-ordered one, but I need to track down more, it appears...

Post 11 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Midtown is sold out on some of the covers I want so it looks like I have to leave the house to get my fix.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Midtown is sold out on some of the covers I want so it looks like I have to leave the house to get my fix.

Sneaky week! So, we had two weeks (Dec 20 and Dec 27) of HEAVY releases from DC and Marvel and then they sneak in some stuff the first week of the new year that is selling out.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I was really hoping the comic store I went to today will have this cover or even the virgin cover but struck out on both.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I hit 4 shops today...Just about all copies of BM38 Tim Sale cover had what I think is referred to as "feathering" along the spine...basically a long vertical crease along the "fold" as a result of the manufacturing process. I picked up two copies that look 9.8 otherwise. I think CBCS considers this a defect, though...

Anyone else seeing this?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I hit 4 shops today...Just about all copies of BM38 Tim Sale cover had what I think is referred to as "feathering" along the spine...basically a long vertical crease along the "fold" as a result of the manufacturing process. I picked up two copies that look 9.8 otherwise. I think CBCS considers this a defect, though...

Anyone else seeing this?

I pre-ordered about 10 copies of both covers - will take a look when I get them (but could take a while)
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:

Anyone else seeing this?

I only took one copy of each cover. Since I got to the store when they opened I was able to take the best copy of each one. Both books look pretty sharp from what I remember.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:

Anyone else seeing this?

Crap... I knew I should have hit up one of my local shops today! I have one copy sitting at my online retailer and one on hold at my local shop. I'll see what luck has in store for me.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Also picked up Extremity. Walking Dead was killer.

Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Jesus

Christ!

%15 savings off the list price! Imagine what the value is of a 9.8 signature series slab!

The value would be a steady decline, because the book will get cancelled and then a year from then you could get the same slab for a couple hundred bucks.

Same goes for all the X-Men junk. They seriously need to New 52 them.

Anyone really liking Tom Kong's Batman run though? I've heard good stuff about the origin of Bruce
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Jesus

Christ!

For that kind of money you could probably get Lim to draw you a nice cover.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Jesus

Christ!

You could definitely get a nice sketch cover from him... Maybe not all of the bells and whistles, but at least the bells... or whistles...
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Jesus

Christ!

You win the award for smartest post of the year.

And it's only January 4th
Post 23 IP   flag post
Batman 38... Two local shops... One had ALL copies damaged of the Tim Sale covers, so they didn't keep them. Only Coipel on hand. Other had both, but it's obvious they had the Tim Sale mishandled/screwed up problem. As with past issues we've discussed, I'm not sure if this is Diamond, printer, or something in between. Either way... Hot-ish issue, it seems.
Post 24 IP   flag post
What is the mishandled/screwed up problem? The ones I came across just had the spine crease the whole length which broke color. I try to post a pic a little later.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
What is the mishandled/screwed up problem? The ones I came across just had the spine crease the whole length which broke color. I try to post a pic a little later.

Here are the pics I took...hard to capture this crease along the spine with a flash, but I believe it's referred to as "feathering." Drives me nuts when I see this on new comics...especially when every copy has it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Here are the pics I took...hard to capture this crease along the spine with a flash, but I believe it's referred to as "feathering." Drives me nuts when I see this on new comics...especially when every copy has it.

Ohhh.... that looks more like a printing issue! It presents like books that have been read, you know? Opened a little too far to the point that the color breaks. That's a little different than the damage one shop was telling me about and the other shop had... Hmmm... Ok, this is weird.
Post 27 IP   flag post
i think it is also a problem when the cardboard stock covers get compressed (like at the bottom of a stack of comics) for a length of time. Just about all my ultimate fantastic fours have this defect, and I was very carefu, reading them.

I'm keeping a close eye on my Metal foil covers...not letting them see too much weight.
Post 28 IP   flag post
600662 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?