Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Valiant Cinematic Universe516

Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't heard any news recently about Valiant films being put into production. Just a couple of years ago Valiant made a huge money deal with that Chinese movie production company.

Does anyone have any new information on the Bloodshot and Harbinger films?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Kanaloa private msg quote post Address this user
This is the most up to date info I've seen.

"Bloodshot
What's it about? Sony have moved forward with a new comic book property offering heaps of crossover potential - Bloodshot. The announcement came a few months after Sony publicly announced the idea to share Spider-Man with Marvel Studios, which may or may not be a coincidence.
Anyway, to give the character the respect he deserves - Bloodshot is an excellent and much-loved comic book character in his own right. Heralding from Valiant Comics, he shares more narrative DNA with Wolverine than Spidey, as a former soldier who has been memory wiped. An injection of nanites into his bloodstream enables him to interface effortlessly with technology, heal quickly and shape shift. He's also not bad with guns.
Now, he will get his own movie. We can presumably expect origin beats, probably including Project Rising Spirit - the government solider-enhancement project that caused Bloodshot's powers and memory-less-ness. Often, they send him after strong telekinesis people called Harbingers.
A movie called Harbinger - based on a super-powered team, in the same world as Bloodshot - will be released on an unspecified date. Both Bloodshot and Harbinger will get sequels. After that, a huge crossover called Harbinger Wars will tie everything together a few years later (more info on all of those films in our 'who knows when, but somewhere between the rest' section towards the end of this article).
Who's involved? John Wick duo David Leitch and Chad Stahelski will direct, from a script by Kick Ass 2's Jeff Wadlow and The Thing remake's Eric Heisserer. Matthew Vaughn and Jason Kothari will serve as executive producers.
When's it coming out? Bloodshot's movie has been announced for 2017, with no specific date yet stated. Casting hasn't been announced yet, though, which could mean delays.

Harbinger
What's it about? Harbinger, as we mentioned in our 2017 section, is set in the same universe as Bloodshot. While Bloodshot is a solo adventure about one memory-wiped enhanced soldier, Valiant's Harbinger comics are team-up stories. The twist? That these guys are villains, not knock-off Avengers.
Leading the team is Toyo Harada (pictured above) - a powerful psionic, who has a range of deadly abilities including telekinesis and telepathy. While he tends to operate his world-domination plans from the shadows, his team often to his dirty work. The ranks of the team include Zephyr (who can fly), Flamingo (creating and manipulating flames), Torque (enhanced strength), Livewire (electromagnetic stuff) and Stronghold (absorbing mass and using it to make himself bigger and tougher).
These guys will probably come up against Sting - not the singer - a former pupil of Toyo, who eventually realises how evil everything they're doing is and attempts to bring them down.
Harbinger will get a sequel before crossing over with Bloodshot for the Harbinger Wars crossover event.
Who's involved? After co-writing Bloodshot, Eric Heisserer pen this script solo. There's no word on directors yet, but Valiant Comics' Dinesh Shamdasani will oversee all the films as an exec producer, alongside Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe of Original Film. Sony also have Andrea Giannetti on board as their overseer of the project.
When's it coming out? At some point after Bloodshot's 2017 release. 2018, maybe?

Bloodshot 2
What's it about? Okay, sorry, but things are going to get very vague here. Bloodshot, a Valiant Comics adaptation from Sony Pictures, is coming out in 2017. In a big show of confidence, its sequel has already been announced. The fact that we know barely anything about the first movie's plot, though, makes it very hard to speculate about a sequel.
If Bloodshot is an origins movie, you can probably expect bigger and badder foes in its sequel, which may or may not be called 2 Blood 2 Shot. However, if Bloodshot throws its mind-wiped enhanced soldier straight into action, the sequel (Bloodsh2t?) may well be an introspective retro-active origin story a la Wolverine's journey in X-Men 2.
At this point, Bloodshot could still be under government control, or he could have broken free from his programming and tried to bring down the shady project that made him. As this will be Bloodshot's last solo outing before Harbinger Wars, we could also see the first glimpse of a crossover with the super-villain team mentioned in the above section.
Who's involved? Well, assuming everyone is still friends after the original Bloodshot movie: David Leitch and Chad Stahelski of John Wick could return to direct. Kick Ass 2's Jeff Wadlow and The Thing remake's Eric Heisserer might write the sequel. Perhaps, Matthew Vaughn and Jason Kothari will serve as executive producers... again.
When's it coming out? Maybe 2019? The first movie comes out in 2017, so it will be after then.

Harbinger 2
What's it about? Well, Harbinger 2 is the sequel to Harbinger - the super-villain team-up that we speculated about two sections above this one. The whole team hinges around Toyo Harada's attempts to conquer the Earth in a clandestine way, with his fear that humanity will destroy itself otherwise being his motivation.
The decision to announce a sequel to Harbinger before the first film has come out is so ballsy that it's thrown our speculation skills completely out of whack. What proof have we got that a villain-focused movie can work? Well, all the pre-hype for Suicide Squad, but not much else. Seeing as this is treading new ground, then, it's hard to know what to expect.
This film will be followed by Harbinger Wars, which pits Bloodshot against Harbinger after four films of build up, so Harbinger 2 will probably see the origins of the scheme so evil that it will warrant a crossover.
Who's involved? Probably the team from Harbinger 1 - Eric Heisserer on scripting duties, Valiant Comics' Dinesh Shamdasani will as an exec producer, Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe of Original Film doing the same. Sony's Andrea Giannetti keeping an eye on things.
When's it coming out? Continuing our rate of one-film-a-year guessing, this one could be out in 2020.

Harbinger Wars
What's it about? Here it is - the film you will have been waiting for years for - Harbinger Wars. It's not hard to see why Sony were drawn to this project - an anti-hero and a team of villains, with two films each of set-up, before a big bombastic bust-up to round things off.
The Harbinger Wars occurred in 2013 in the comics, when Bloodshot decided to atone for the sins committed on his shady missions by releasing a bunch of strong telekinetic types from prison. Naturally, this starts an epic battle between Bloodshot's team and the Harbingers led by Toyo Harada.
This crossover run saw the secret conflict between Toyo's Harbinger Foundation and Bloodshot's Project Rising Spirit finally go public, with big battles occuring in locales around the globe. Las Vegas was a memorable one. If we know the minds of studio execs, they'll probably leave this open for more sequels.
Who's involved? Sony will again be the studio behind this, and will probably pool talent from their Bloodshot and Harbinger teams. No director has been confirmed yet."
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks for sharing all of that. 😀 I really hope Bloodshot has a feel/atmosphere that is totally different to anything Fox has produced. It'd be nice if we could get some casting news as well. Joel Edgerton would make an interesting Bloodshot, I think.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I could see it going to some big muscle man like the Rock with an Asian feel to the movie.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Kanaloa Yeah. But since he is playing Black Adam in the DCU, I wonder if he'd be interested in playing Bloodshot in a different comic cinematic universe? Plus, I just don't get the feeling he'd be right for the part.

I hope they can also sneak in cameos from Eternal Warrior, Shadowman, Archer & Armstrong, and even Ninjak.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Yah, I just said the Rock because I cant think of another really big guy that has some acting ability.

Tom Hardy can get ripped and defiantly can act. Maybe he could be a good bloodshot. He did a good Bane in Batman and Warrior in a MMA movie.

Maybe Dave Gautista but he's also already doing a superhero role.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Did you watch the movie Warrior? That's what made me think Joel Edgerton would make a good Bloodshot.
Post 7 IP   flag post
yep I liked the movie.
Post 8 IP   flag post
598062 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?