Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper Age

ACK! So Close - Show Me Thread5143

Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Recently I was going through a stack of books I purchased quite a while ago that I hadn't had a chance to read. I came across a Punisher War Journal #1. I started to exam the covers and corners. Everything is in incredible condition. I got excited and decided that I was going to sub the book in my next order. I mean this book really looks good. Well, as I skim through the interior pages I noticed about half way through a page has a brown tint to it, right in the middle of the page. I couldn't figure out what it was..printing error maybe? ..... so I turn the page over and this is what I found...some brown... residue, obviously foreign to the comic, smack dab in the middle of the page.... I swear I could hear the Charlie Brown yell Arrggghh!!!

I thought it would be fun to share books that you have had that look so perfect only to find something inside, missing or added that destroyed your plans/hopes of getting the book graded.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I would be curious as to weather they would even notice that.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
That would be a qualified mint book from the other guys.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Hell, I bet they don't do much more than count the pages on a more modern book.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user

Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944

They have a stack of comics to grade. You know they are sick of it unless it's something unusual that they haven't seen before. They probably do build a sense of complacency and think... "looks good to me."
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

They have a stack of comics to grade. You know they are sick of it unless it's something unusual that they haven't seen before. They probably do build a sense of complacency and think... "looks good to me."

Wow. so negative lol. They better spot stuff like this, that's what I pay for.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I will have to post my copy of Strange Tales 169. First appearance of Brother Voodoo. A real nice book in the 9.0 range and maybe higher with a press. The bummer is that one of the staples is rusty. If it were not for the rusty staple I feel it would have been a nice book to submit.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

Here is the cover.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattness
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I'm an inspector for a living. I have people tell me all the time that my findings don't matter, despite the guideline being clear as to what defines a defect. I used to post an article on my file cabinet at work. It was the results to the investigation on why a space shuttle crashed. One key finding was that an inspector falsified inspection reports on the space shuttle tiles. I call it "pencil whipping" and I've seen people do it. The inspector was looking at 40 indictments and life in prison because he became complacent with everything being good and didn't report any defects that he should have discovered with a proper inspection.

Quality is an attitude. People have to want something to be right. If they don't, they are willing to take shortcuts. A quality attitude is something that can't be trained. I'm more addressing human nature. Rest assured that when people complain about turn-around times on grading, the graders are being asked if there is a way to speed things up. More than likely, the answer is "no". So there is pressure on these guys to be both accurate and quick. Eventually one or the other will get neglected.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Be interesting if you subbed the book just to see. There are many instances where graders have missed actual writing on interior pages. X51 is correct.... It is just human nature to eventually become complaisant when performing such a repetitive task such as grading. This is also why I will only spend no more than 3-4 hours at a time grading books in my collection.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I'm an inspector for a living. I have people tell me all the time that my findings don't matter, despite the guideline being clear as to what defines a defect. I used to post an article on my file cabinet at work. It was the results to the investigation on why a space shuttle crashed. One key finding was that an inspector falsified inspection reports on the space shuttle tiles. I call it "pencil whipping" and I've seen people do it. The inspector was looking at 40 indictments and life in prison because he became complacent with everything being good and didn't report any defects that he should have discovered with a proper inspection.

Quality is an attitude. People have to want something to be right. If they don't, they are willing to take shortcuts. A quality attitude is something that can't be trained. I'm more addressing human nature. Rest assured that when people complain about turn-around times on grading, the graders are being asked if there is a way to speed things up. More than likely, the answer is "no". So there is pressure on these guys to be both accurate and quick. Eventually one or the other will get neglected.

The graders are most certainly not asked to "speed things up", that is nonsensical.

CBCS was co-founded by Borock who is the senior & head grader at CBCS.

Borock held the same position at CGC for years, intil he left to work for Heritage.

I am stating this to stress the point that Borock is well aware that you cannot take shortcuts in grading.

As Borock runs day to day grading operations at CBCS, you can be rest assured that he is not flailing his arms around at graders,asking them to pick up the pace.
Post 12 IP   flag post
600743 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?