Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Silver AgePop Culture

Fantastic Auction This Saturday514

Collector PremierComics private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.milestoneauctions.com

This Saturday the 18th an auction house in Cleveland area is offering some awesome graded items. Including:

Hulk #1,2,3,4,5,6 - All graded by CBCS
Journey Into Mystery #83 Signed by Jack King Kirby
*CBCS Signature Verified
Giant Size X Men #1
New Mutants #98
Golden Age Captain America #48

This is a nice group of stuff to find in one place.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Maverick private msg quote post Address this user
Hello, welcome to the forums. Looks to have lots of cool books. Only thing that gets me with these types of auctions and almost any proxybid type of auction is the grading/min bid.

I get that a lot of these auction houses cant grade worth a shit which is fine but don't force the min bid in order to pump the values. Small example:
Avengers 57 - labeled VF/NM - 300 dollar min bid - lot 128c

Blunted corners, Mild spine tic/staple stress, light soiling on back, small stain and maybe a light corner crease on the LRF. Nice book for sure but VF/NM... Maybe if you send it to Del Mar

Idk either don't try to grade or don't force the min bid
Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the head's up. I checked it out. Some interesting and hard to find books. Some seemed to have reasonable "expected" price ranges, but others seemed extremely high for the pictured item.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@esaravo Ill be honest I didn't look through the catalog, the 57 was just the first book I looked at. I find it to be a problem with almost all of these types of auction houses. We have a few by me that run the same game but don't force a min bid. I can live with that.

Yikes looking at Lot 129t ASM 9 - FN/VF

Idk looks VG+ at best, I don't want to poo poo this guys auction so Ill just leave it at buyer beware.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I can understand setting a reserve price, but I agree that these types of auctions should not have minimum bids.
Post 5 IP   flag post
See for me that's what I love about auctions. I bid by what I grade the book as and what I think its worth. Its better then arguing with some dealer who insists he can grade.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Don't get me wrong a reserve bid has its place. The problem which Ive seen first hand at my local auction houses is that when the book is sorely over graded its the online bidders that get burned. The local guy has the book in hand and can see the damage that isn't listed.
Much like Lot130i - BATMAN Golden Age #6 - Very Good that gives NOT one mention to the apparent water damage through the whole book

Post 7 IP   flag post
I've bought several books at auctions all over the country and have had great results. I just call the auction house and ask for more detailed pics if I think I need them. They are always happy to help.

I've had way more problems on eBay!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Why in Jeebus' name would you auction those books off at some local auction house? Hello - Heritage? Clink? Does the owner of the book not like maximizing his profits?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierComics
I've bought several books at auctions all over the country and have had great results. I just call the auction house and ask for more detailed pics if I think I need them. They are always happy to help.

I've had way more problems on eBay!

Interesting. I've been on Ebay for 18 years and I've had less problems there than I have had with these "no name" auction houses. I remember when the Mound City auctions had no quotes for shipping, and then they tried to charge an outrageous amount just to ship one book.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Probably came from an Estate and the heirs just sold them outright to a local auction house for the quick cash.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Probably came from an Estate and the heirs just sold them outright to a local auction house for the quick cash.

So the auction house owns them and had them slabbed? That would make the only amount of sense I can think of. Who got the books signed I wonder? The OO seems to have really liked comics, why would he leave them to his heirs? And how much did the auction house pay the heirs I wonder? Or maybe consignment? I dunno, either way it seems weird to me.

Too bad the grading notes aren't on the label
Post 12 IP   flag post
I have no knowledge of this auction, I was only speculating a reason why a different venue wasn't utilized.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm not sure about this particular auction house but the ones buy me consign items for large and small collectors/estates. You usually have a Buyers fee and A Sellers fee where the house takes around 20%. For someone who just got dumped a collection by a passing family member 20% seems like a small price to pay for someone else to take care of it all.

The problem is when the auction house is small and cant generate the traffic it needs to realize maximum potential. Then you get forced minimum bid and even shill bidding in certain cases.

The auction house by me does extremely well on comics, sometimes over eBay prices.
Post 14 IP   flag post
600839 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?