Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Grade Question5123

Collector powerfist23 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone. Would someone be able to give me an approximate grade on the following books? Or if you could recommend any good sites with a lot of graded comic pictures for comparison. I’ve collected comics most of my life but never got into the grading aspect. I have a chance to purchase some early ASM issues but want a rough estimate on grade. Thank you all for your input.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
IMO...without viewing the back covers

#121 3.5
#50 2.0
#45 5.0

However, I tend to grade a tad tight
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
FYI, the Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide is a good resource for helping to determine grade, there are multiple editions each with different examples of books in each grade and defects therein. I've been collecting and estimating grades for years and still refer back to these
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
4, 2, 5
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
6.5-7.0

I could be wrong . . . I have been in the past - but sometimes too low, sometimes too high.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user

That and what others have said gets you in the ballpark 👍🏻
Post 6 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
D+
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
LOL

you guys are brash....*smiles*....but I like the average.

Color-breaking creases can really hurt condition,,especially on the cover.

IMO without seeing back covers. If back is OW or better, no creaees, no minor defects, I'd think the grades will stay.

121 = 4.0-
50 = 3.0-4.5 (I've seen 2.0-3.0 that look a lot worse
45 = 5.5-6.0 ! 28th a good press, maybe a bit higher

Let us know how you did!

Good luck.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
121 - VG- (3.5)
50 - Good (2.0)
45 - VG/FN (5.0)
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
This may not be a perfect guide, but it is very helpful for learning what to look out for.

The Overstreet Guide To Grading Comics – 2016 Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/1603601996/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_uIZqAbD94QMWY

Also:

121: 3.5
50: 2.0
45: 4.5 As suggested above, this one would benefit from a press & may get a grade bump as a result.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in the same ballpark as most of those above.

121: 4.0-4.5
50: 2.0-3.0
45: 5.0-5.5
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you all for the replies. I’ve ordered the Overstreet book from Amazon. I’ve been looking at some graded books to compare with. Here are the back covers for those that asked. All the ASMs are in similar condition.

Post 12 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@powerfist23 they need y be pressed and cleaned if worth the 10-20 to get done. Hence the reason I bought my own press, no cost.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Last question on this how much does restoration impact grade. It looks like the added a staple to keep the top portion of the cover attached on issue 238.

Post 14 IP   flag post
@powerfist23 a ton
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@powerfist23 a ton
Thank you for your response.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, that staple really hurt the value of the book. Cost of press/grade is over the value of the books honestly. I have a huge Amazing Spider-man collection and a lot of the earlier issues are 3.5-5.0 at best myself.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Remove the extra staple, especially if you plan to get it graded
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Even if the staple is removed, it's going to take a significant hit on the grade since there are two holes going through the entire book. I can't tell from the picture but was the staple added because the book is detached from the top staple?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Even if the staple is removed, it's going to take a significant hit on the grade since there are two holes going through the entire book. I can't tell from the picture but was the staple added because the book is detached from the top staple?
That’s what it looks like to me. The cover pulled away from the top staple.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Squack private msg quote post Address this user
If the tatooz are removed from the ASM 238, which is probably why the extra staple was added, then the book might be considered incomplete (not necessarily the graders, but by the collectors). If tatooz were added to the book, then it is already restored (much like marrying a cover to another copy). The damage is done, and removing the staple will not help.
Post 21 IP   flag post
600855 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?