Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Comic markets; The best times to sell?5082

Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Obviously movie and TV announcements have become to dominate and largely determine the market for certain books, but what about other books? Keys without a TV/film to boost the characters profile.

Just wondering if any number crunchers out there have done to math to determine the best times to sell books? What kind of trends or stats do you look at when considering pulling the trigger? Is there a season or a optimal time of year to sell and or buy? Sound off your experience!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
The thing is, there's no saying what could be a movie or TV show later, but taking that off the table:

One general rule is the 20 year marker. Once something hits 20, the generation that was into that item when they were younger has grown nostalgic for the things of their youth.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
About a month before the movie comes out there is a frenzy of activity to buy any key books related to the characters. Once the movie comes out, the demand drops and it's harder to sell.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going against the flow and say don't sell at the end of the year. With all the sales going on, a lot of disposable income will be used in other places which will result in lower auctions with less people being able to bid.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
The number one time to sell is in a good economy. Look at comic values in 2009 to NOW. Holy fkng shit.

SELL, Mortimer, SELL!

Except if you are a comic addict like myself, who is too impatient to wait until the next recession to buy. In that case, collecting becomes an expense rather than an investment. Which it is 99% of the time anyways, we just fool ourselves to justify the habit otherwise
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I have a list of about 40-50 slabs I was looking to sell. I sent my spreadsheet to 2 reputable dealers. I received no response. These are some hot books as well or so I thought (Bats 181, 189, 200, 227, 232 TEC 400 etc).

Maybe I picked the wrong dealers? Wrong time of year? Who knows. Comics are not an easy beast to understand.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
I have a list of about 40-50 slabs I was looking to sell. I sent my spreadsheet to 2 reputable dealers. I received no response. These are some hot books as well or so I thought (Bats 181, 189, 200, 227, 232 TEC 400 etc).

No response? Wow, that is weird. The books you listed are always hot sellers, especially the 227 and 400. Why try dealers? Why not try something like ComicLink instead?
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I will probably get some grief for saying this. But in my experiences, most dealers are not interested in buying books from owners that know what they have or are not having a "fire sale" because they are in need of cash quick.

Dealers far prefer to buy from people who do not know what they have.

And of course, dealers also have short falls of "on hand" cash, and have to say no to some primo books. Simply because they can not afford them at the moment.

Take a graded ASM #361 in 9.8 to a dealer and try to sell it.

If his first response is "What are you asking for it?". Then he is worthy of making a deal with. But if his initial response is "Plenty of these around. What do you want for it?" Then you are wasting your time.

If he says something like "Let's look up what GPA is. Here ya go. In 9.8, about $280. I can offer you half of that. $140.00 in cash, or $170 in store credit.

Then you have to make a decision. Sell it on Ebay and get over $250 or get the bird in the hand of $140. But at least this third dealer is honest and legit. Dealers SHOULD pay at least 50% of going rate for a hot or semi-hot issue. If you get more than 50% from a dealer. Buy him lunch after.

Selling to a collector is a whole nother ball game.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Why don’t you just post the books right here with the grades and ask for a bid.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
dumb as it may sound, sell before hurricane season happens. You want as many people in the audience as you can get. Any natural disaster affecting cities or state will reduce the potential bidders.

Also, look at where you may be selling from. What kind of results do they show for books similar to yours? Ebay, auction houses or whatever else you use will need to be looked at for quality results of auctions. Not only price gotten but number of bids and bidders as well for maximum result.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
For comics, December and January are the worst times for sellers but great time for buyers
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
For comics, December and January are the worst times for sellers but great time for buyers

+1. I'm feeling a little guilty this holiday season...I think I've spent more on my own comics than on my wife. But I can't turn away the deals I'm seeing this month!
Post 12 IP   flag post
600771 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?