Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

I have Aspergers syndrome.Does anyone else ?4988

Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
I have aspergers syndrome does anyone else have it on this forum or on the spectrum?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
My 10 yr old son is autistic with a language and speech pervassive disorder. He's talking more but it always sounds like he has a giant jawbreaker in his mouth due to difficulty sounding out words. He's in the 5th grade in public school system. He still cannot read and only writes via copying. His school is amazing and works with him on a special individual education program through inclusion with all the other regular classrooms. It's been great for him. He loves legos, ninja turtles, and anything "evil". He only eats certain foods, too: McDonald's fries, Papa Johns Cheese Thin crust Pizza, and Krustaez Mini Pancakes. I love the little guy, he's my mini me.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I myself have possibly developed some sort of Autism due to my health condition that I do not typically share publicly online, lol
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I am not familiar with Aspergers Syndrome. Does it make someone constantly ask who they resemble the most?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak, really?
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
No, not really.

Part of Asperger's Syndrome is repetitive behavior and a tendency to discuss self rather than others.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Well that's good, I suppose.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
No, not really.

Part of Asperger's Syndrome is repetitive behavior and a tendency to discuss self rather than others.

if that's the case most of us on these boards might be on the scale somewhere!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I think I work with a girl that has it. I do not have it.

A kid in my neighborhood had autism when I was growing up. He would rock back and forth and stare at ants and would never talk to anyone. If you said something to him he'd look over at you, and then snap his neck back to what he was doing. It was really sad. Some higher functioning Autism cases are bizarre. One guy could calculate pi in his head and just keep rattling of the digits past the decimal. Someone asked how he could do it and he said he could see the numbers and some of the number patterns were beautiful to him.

When they say spectrum disorders, it definitely runs the full spectrum. The mind can do amazing things and display itself in many different ways.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
No, not really.

From what I understand about Aspergers', that is a fair, partial summation.

I don't have Aspergers,I think it is a pretty interesting mental condition though.

I have always been interested in reading up on mental disorders and how the human mind operates in general. I do have ADD/ADHD, which is originally what got me into reading up on neuroscience.

I can recommend reading Daniel Goleman, not specifically for Aspergers/Autism breakdowns but his books on social intelligence are very interesting reads.

Aspergers, those effected with mild forms, for lack of a better word, are usually highly functioning, unlike more generalized Autism wherein functioning is severely stilted, as in the typical Autistic basically lives in their own little world.

Aspergers, in highly functioning cases, can lead to personality "quirks" or obsessive behavior; Bill Gates is purported to have Aspergers, as is Dan Akyrod.James Joyce,William Buckley Yeats and handfuls of other literary/creative types along with inventors like Nikolas Tesla, arguably showed signs of Aspergers,

A rough handed comparison/break down of Aspergers in contrast to full on Autism can be thought of as...well:

Aspergers>
Mildly disassociated, in turns leads to very poor grasp of social cues. This may spur on obsessive behavior which can be useful if it is largely directed, which it can be, in those with higher IQ's,towards research,inventive thinking or creativity. i.e. Nicolas Tesla, Yeats,etc.

Autism>
Poor overall functioning along with an increased direction towards self obsessive to thoroughly dissociative behavior.
Dustin Hoffman/Rain Man is pretty much it.

What I am more interested in than autism is DID/schizophrenia , BPD AND sociopathy....they have disassociated thinking patterns, but in a different and more outwardly destructive vein. Most succesful people arguably show a signifigant amount of sociopathic behavior, but if it is tempered with linear thinking, it is a relative non-issue.

Schizophtrnia is something I thought was really interesting, since I saw a Beautiful Mind (Russel Crowe flick).

But ultimately, studying emotional intelligence is the best practical usage of time IMO.

Bettering one's understanding of emotional/social intelligence will do you the most good in life, understanding interpersonal dynamics is pretty much key in having succesful relationships, in all areas of life.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Yep that's what I do I discuss my self a lot, I don't understand certain cues I sometimes misinterpret sarcasm
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor1989
Yep that's what I do I discuss my self a lot, I don't understand certain cues I sometimes misinterpret sarcasm

I like my sarcasm to be misinterpreted. The reactions are priceless.

The girl that I work with is nice, sweet and polite to everyone else. She'll insult me even though I keep her laughing. It's like she doesn't feel comfortable laughing. It's actually fun to hear her insult me because she so nice to everyone else. No one expects her to say what she says to me.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector DarthKribs private msg quote post Address this user
I have had two students with Aspergers. They were extremely bright students but had a tendency to speak their minds at anytime during class. Most of it was them blurting out cuss words. Stephanie would love to say "ohh come on none of you assholes remember this stuff!? He just went over it yesterday!"
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector neyko private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The board is going for a more positive experience, so a little less sarcasm could benefit us all here.

Welcome.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
My son is 26 now and was diagnosed with Aspergers when he was in the 1st grade. He had previously been diagnosed with ADHD and OCD, and I remember taking him to speech therapy when he was 4. My wife and I are not his biological parents; we adopted him when he was about 4 months old by making two trips to Bogota, Colombia. So we really know almost nothing about his biological parents.
He is extremely bright and high functioning. He went to regular schools and graduated high school. He attended a junior college and got an Associates degree. He is now attending a four-year college on a part-time basis. He is majoring in art.
He is socially awkward and doesn’t have a best friend. He is blunt and takes things literally. He likes things to be routine and hates change. He got a driver’s license when he was 18, but didn’t feel comfortable driving. After a serious head-on collision, he said he didn’t want to drive anymore. My wife and I drop him off and pick him up at college. He loves to draw, so for the last year or so, he has obsessed over completing three drawings a day. He has gotten better. Finding even a part-time job that is suitable has been impossible, so I worry about his future. We spend quality time going to super hero movies like Guardians and WW, and watch Arrow and Flash together. I also take him to meet with a “life coach” around once a week. Hopefully he will one day be self sufficient.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

The girl that I work with is nice, sweet and polite to everyone else. She'll insult me even though I keep her laughing. It's like she doesn't feel comfortable laughing. It's actually fun to hear her insult me because she so nice to everyone else. No one expects her to say what she says to me.

I can attest to that. A few months back you said something that totally blew my mind. Took me a few weeks to realize that you werent an actual retard, and that it was just very dry sarcasm 🤣😂🍺
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I can attest to that. A few months back you said something that totally blew my mind. Took me a few weeks to realize that you werent an actual retard, and that it was just very dry sarcasm 🤣😂🍺

Very dry! As dry and straight-faced as possible.

My sister got called aside by a teacher that teaches her daughter. With a look of great concern, the teacher told my sister that her daughter was the most sarcastic child that she'd ever encountered. With excitement and pride my sister replied "Sarcasm is revered in our family." I would have immediately identified that it was criticism and mocked the teacher mercilessly. My sister just took it as a huge compliment.

My girlfriend is very sarcastic, so it even took her awhile to be adjusted to someone being more sarcastic than her. I had to be careful on our early dates to be sure she wasn't drinking a beverage when I was talking. If I wasn't careful she'd lose her high strung composure. She'd be caught off guard so much that she'd spew her drink out her nose when I talked.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
People who wear their sarcastic personality like a badge of honor is a pet peeve of mine. Oh well.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I'm very good at organizing books , movies that's why I enjoy my time working at libraries.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm very good at organizing books , movies that's why I enjoy my time working at libraries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
He is socially awkward and doesn’t have a best friend. He is blunt and takes things literally. He likes things to be routine and hates change. .... didn’t feel comfortable driving. ...... He loves to draw.... he has obsessed over .... a day.

Oh God, I legit think I have the Aspergers Syndrome.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
People who wear their sarcastic personality like a badge of honor is a pet peeve of mine. Oh well.

Sarcasm is associated with creativity and higher intelligence. LOL!

https://www.elitedaily.com/life/culture/sarcastic-people-proven-smarter/792826
http://www.medicaldaily.com/sarcastic-much-intelligence-wit-and-creativity-all-linked-sarcasm-study-suggests-344808
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2015/07/go-ahead-be-sarcastic/
http://www.lifehack.org/303037/researchers-find-3-reasons-sarcastic-people-are-more-intelligent

People who are offended are typically amazed to discover that they can insult me and I don't care. I've received caustic responses and then I give the people tips on how to insult me better.

Here's an actual comment I made at work:

Female boss: "Remember everyone, we're having a free catered lunch tomorrow on Ron."
Me: "He might not like that, I think we should use paper plates that."

It's usually a training process for me. People that hate me upon meeting me usually have a transformation and treat me like I'm the funniest person they ever met after about 6 months to a year. I'm quite predictable. After awhile people can read my mind and I don't have to say anything. Everyone else will start laughing because they know what I'll say.

Your reaction is quite common. People who socialize without it find it to be rude. Conversation without it bores me. I got it from my mother. I got silliness from my dad.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:

I always send people to take this test.
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

If you know your personality type and the type of another person, it's like an instruction manual for people to deal with one another. Extroverts generally impose their will introverts. I'm an introvert, but I can fake being an extrovert. I become an extrovert to teach people how annoying it is to be a real extrovert. LOL!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/sarcastic-much-intelligence-wit-and-creativity-all-linked-sarcasm-study-suggests-344808
http://www.lifehack.org/303037/researchers-find-3-reasons-sarcastic-people-are-more-intelligent

People who are offended are typically amazed to discover that they can insult me and I don't care. I've received caustic responses and then I give the people tips on how to insult me better.

Female boss: "Remember everyone, we're having a free catered lunch tomorrow on Ron."

It's usually a training process for me. People that hate me upon meeting me usually have a transformation and treat me like I'm the funniest person they ever met after about 6 months to a year. I'm quite predictable. After awhile people can read my mind and I don't have to say anything. Everyone else will start laughing because they know what I'll say.

Your reaction is quite common. People who socialize without it find it to be rude. Conversation without it bores me. I got it from my mother. I got silliness from my dad.

Oh, I understand sarcasm perfectly fine, I just find it played out. Everyone is sarcastic now and many people think it makes them "funny" or "unique"...unique just like everyone else lol.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I thought about the simulation theory a few years before Elon Musk was thinking about it.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Oh, I understand sarcasm perfectly fine, I just find it played out. Everyone is sarcastic now and many people think it makes them "funny" or "unique"...unique just like everyone else lol.

I don't say I'm unique or funny, but everyone else does. When I go on break, the head of our test depart calls me the Messiah and everyone who listens to me are my followers. Not my words.. they are his. Again though, I don't care about criticisms or insults. I don't go through life looking for validation.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I don't say I'm unique or funny, but everyone else does. When I go on break, the head of our test depart calls me the Messiah and everyone who listens to me are my followers. Not my words.. they are his. Again though, I don't care about criticisms or insults. I don't go through life looking for validation.

Not a criticism or an insult, sorry if you took it that way.

Just not a big fan.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Not a criticism or an insult, sorry if you took it that way.

Just not a big fan.

That's cool. It's a communication tool and I wouldn't use it if it didn't serve a function. Actually, I didn't intend on derailing the thread.

Back to Aspergers Syndrome. The girl I know likes to write poetry and she's written a couple of self-published books.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I knew one guy that (said) he had the assburgers. He was totally incapable of empathy, just totally clueless about everyone’s feelings around him.

He could be eating a big meal in front of his hungry kids and not think twice about it. The wife told me that one. Or me (his boss) yelling to do something with urgency (actual emergencies!) while he moseys along at a snails pace. I once said to him after such a situation “does your mind race when I yell, because your body certainly doesnt”. He just shrugged. Stuff like that.

Divorced now, and the kids hate him. Its unfortunate.
Post 28 IP   flag post
The irony here is that calling it "assburgers" somewhat lacks empathy. I'm actually laughing about that.

Divorce is inevitable for a lot of people. You can't blame that on a medical condition. People marry for the wrong reasons and they don't really know themselves sometimes.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
The irony here is that calling it "assburgers" somewhat lacks empathy. I'm actually laughing about that

Its a south park thing

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/912pcu/theres-a-disease-called-ass-burgers
Post 30 IP   flag post
601194 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?