Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

CC vs CL vs eBay(Requesting Seller Feedback)4972

Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
I was just wondering if anyone with sales experience on these three sites could provide me with some feedback in terms of "final sale price realized" in 2017 - did they all seem to match "fair value" of the market? Or have you found some are better than others?

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I used to do everything on consignment through Comic Connect. When they wanted a higher commission rate to take more books from me I reluctantly moved to eBay while still having many books listed on Comic Connect.

It seems that the books move a bit faster on eBay but there is a lot to be said for having someone else store the books and do all of the packaging and shipping for basically the same rate as eBay.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@comic_book_man Actually, a big marketplace that a lot of people don't know about is Facebook. There are groups and live auctions on Facebook. Way lower fees and free advertising (only need to pay the 3% paypal fee). I've bought and sold several items through this method. A lot of the auctions do free giveaways as well. I've won 6 comics for free just for being in on the auction.

Other than that I use ebay. Ebay has lowered their Collectible fee cap now. The cap on a collectible comic sale is now $250. Which is great for selling high value comics. Cap Used to be much higher.

But, if you are selling low value comics you are still paying the 10%.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
eBay is rougher for sales, you can realize great prices, or really bad prices.

Comicconnect auctions tend (in my experience) to pull in more serious collectors, and I've had good experiences with both their auctions and fixed listings.

No experience with CL.

The best thing to do, of you can keep track, is if you aren't in a rush list them on eBay and Comicconnect fixed price and see where it sells first (of at all!).

Good luck!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector jdennis3 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
The cap on a collectible comic sale is now $250.

Where did you find that info? I can't find it anywhere.

Edit: So I think if you have a store it caps at $250 but if just a average joe seller the cap is like $750.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@jdennis3 You are right. $250 cap doesn't apply to Non-Store Sellers. You can signup for an ebay "store" for as little as $19.95 a month. So you could just open a store for the month you plan to sell high priced items (get the savings) and then cancel your store subscription afterwards.

Right column shows Store Final Value Fee Discount/Cap.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Thank you everyone! This is all great input that I was hoping for.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@comic_book_man Actually, a big marketplace that a lot of people don't know about is Facebook. There are groups and live auctions on Facebook. Way lower fees and free advertising (only need to pay the 3% paypal fee). I've bought and sold several items through this method. A lot of the auctions do free giveaways as well. I've won 6 comics for free just for being in on the auction.

one of my favorite is https://www.facebook.com/groups/comicbookcollectingbuyselltrade/

they have a feedback database as well.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@KingNampa If you have a store for the $250 cap, does that apply to your Auctions as well or just Buy It Now items?
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I get a lot of offers for comic books on facebook (I signed up for the comic book sales areas). But I have never had the guts to deal with someone on facebook, as it seems like a cesspool of non-trustworthy people. The prices they ask for common run of the mill books are ridiculous and their grade estimations are very generic. And as far as I can tell, there is no recourse procedure to address outright fraud or dissatisfaction with what you thought you were going to get.

But like I said. I have not taken the plunge there yet. So maybe I am missing out on a good resource to hunt books.

On Ebay when I sell books there. I usually get a LOT lower hammer price than I anticipated. But I sell with a low starting price and no reserve. Always.

I prefer to sell here on the CBCS site. But apparently not many others like to sell here. I guess they see selling here as too small a pool of potential buyers. Of course, everybody and there dog will let us know what they have on Ebay for sale, here on this site.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
The prices they ask for common run of the mill books are ridiculous and their grade estimations are very generic.

I have encountered several people on fb that literally grade on a scale of 1 to 10 arbitrarily. and then yes, there’s also these people...

Post 11 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak there are scammers on Facebook. But in those same sell groups they will get called out and banned. So you will see warnings about these people. Majority of people are just like you and me. Trying to sell and buy with minimal fees. Good people.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector jdennis3 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
The prices they ask for common run of the mill books are ridiculous and their grade estimations are very generic.

I have encountered several people on fb that literally grade on a scale of 1 to 10 arbitrarily. and then yes, there’s also these people...

That from a Comic group or from FB marketplace? I see a lot of that crap in the Marketplace, but usually groups are better since they have some rules as to what must be posted in order to sell.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I prefer to sell here on the CBCS site. But apparently not many others like to sell here. I guess they see selling here as too small a pool of potential buyers.

I plan to start listing some books here next year.

Quote:
Of course, everybody and there dog will let us know what they have on Ebay for sale, here on this site.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Guilty as charged.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I've had really good luck with Craigslist. A first-contact e-mail is usually enough to establish if its someone I want to do business with, or someone looking to rip me off. If a seller is unwilling to let me look things over prior to making a purchase, or refuses to meet somewhere neutral to make a transaction without a good reason (collection is too large to transport, medical reasons, etc.) then I assume its a setup for a scam & walk away.

As an aside, if there is discomfort on either side about where to do a transaction, I highly recommend a bank/credit-union. Most financial institutions will allow account-holders to request to use an office or conference room to do business; usually notary or official paperwork stuff, but I've never had a problem making an appointment to use a room for half an hour for a transaction. This also makes it easy to do payment in cash and/or cashier's check from either side. Also, if you're buying/selling a large collection, it doesn't hurt to have a written receipt w/ inventory notarized; most places have an in-house notary that's gratis to account holders.
Post 15 IP   flag post
597883 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?