Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

From cradle to slab: a mini-comics story.4964

Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
I would be interested in seeing the First series Aliens books you spoke of.

I wanted to get these up on the board for you before I head in to work.

The #1 on the left has an indent in the cover; its pretty obvious in the photo from the light, but it isn't nearly as pronounced in person.

The #3 on the right has a manufacturing defect where one staple is towards the front of the comic and the other is towards the back, they don't align perfectly along the side of the spine.

The #4 on the left has a small roll to the upper-left part of the spine.

The #5 on the left has some color wear along the spine.

Let me know what you think & if any of them meet your acceptance criteria to fill the gap(s) in your collection.

Post 26 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
I would be interested in seeing the First series Aliens books you spoke of.

I wanted to get these up on the board for you before I head in to work.

The #1 on the left has an indent in the cover; its pretty obvious in the photo from the light, but it isn't nearly as pronounced in person.

The #3 on the right has a manufacturing defect where one staple is towards the front of the comic and the other is towards the back, they don't align perfectly along the side of the spine.

The #4 on the left has a small roll to the upper-left part of the spine.

The #5 on the left has some color wear along the spine.

Let me know what you think & if any of them meet your acceptance criteria to fill the gap(s) in your collection.

Really Appreciate the prompt response! Im really only interested in picking up 9.2 NM or better copies. I can't really tell much from the smaller scans as well as them being bagged. The Black covers are super tough. Its slim pickings for higher grade copies on Ebay. I may have to opt for slabbed books to aquire the higher grades. Are they all first prints?

Would you trade a set for a TPB Edition featuring the 6 issues?

Post 27 IP   flag post
They are all first printings. Unless later printings have something unique/special (ex. ASM #700 Ramos 2nd Print Variant), I try to keep to all first printings. I don't know about the grade; I don't have enough experience to give them hard numerical values. I have the TPB already; which also has some fine cover art.
Post 28 IP   flag post
EH-MEH-GERD!

I submitted these lil' guys on 12/6/17, they arrived at CBCS 12/10/17, and I just got the all-important e-mail: they are in grading! Many thanks in advance to the pressing staff, I hope they look wonderful.

For CBCS Staff: Any chance you guys took internal photos during the pressing process? Would be neat to see before/after the press shots; for promotional purposes of course.

So, if the gods are kind, maybe I'll get these back soon-ish, and have a unique set of goodies to put on display next to the toys!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
I got my book back about 3 weeks after I got the grading email, you might see them soon.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
I have these two Aliens action figures if anyone is interested. $8 EACH + buyer pays priority mail shipping. The toys, shipping box, and packing will weigh 1-2 pound catagory.

Post 31 IP   flag post
:Update:

Wow. That was *FAST*! Got the e-mail this morning; the mini's are shipping! Assuming the FedEx gods are kind, I should have photos up here by the weekend; maybe Monday at the outside. I can't wait to see how things turned out.

Many thanks again to the CBCS staff for taking these on! Apparently they were a bit of a pain.

Post 32 IP   flag post
@BabaLament I'd be interested in seeing these puppies and how they turned out when you get a chance to post some pictures. 👍🏻
Post 33 IP   flag post
They're here! They look good too! I am extremely happy with how these turned out; the difference between out-of-the-packaging rolled-up/shoehorned-in and graded on slab is incredible. Only two minor letdowns in the group; but even then I can't really complain seeing as how it was rolled up in a tube for the last 25 years! I'm just thrilled at how good these look.

With the Disney buyout of 20th Century Fox, I can't see the Aliens license staying w/ Dark Horse Comics for any longer than it takes Marvel to staff up an editorial group; so the Dark Horse Aliens era is likely coming to a close. These lil' guys are an original, and never-reprinted, piece of DHC Aliens comics history.

Post 34 IP   flag post
@BabaLament beautiful! Thanks for sharing! And congratulations!
Post 35 IP   flag post
@Despain Thank you! Heh, its kind of funny; I posted the set on Twitter. DHC gave it a like, and I got a reply from Kenner Toys:
Post 36 IP   flag post
After reading the notes on the 8.0 and 8.5, I thought the pressing would eliminate the "light bends through book."

Still, they are all super cool.
Post 37 IP   flag post
I don't think the light bends dinged them nearly as much as the small tear + small fold. I'm happy with how everything turned out. Given the expense involved, I don't think I'll be chasing 9.8's.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@BabaLament - Those look awesome! My only question would be to CBCS; why say no number (#nn) on the label, when each cover clearly states what issue number it is at least 5 times?
Post 39 IP   flag post
@esaravo I was wondering about that too.

I looked into these a bit before I sent them in for grading, I called customer service at CBCS & CGC, as well as putting in calls to Midtown, Mile High, Maximum, Bedrock City, Torpedo, and a couple other shops. Some places knew about these, some didn't; Mile High Comics had them in their computerized inventory, so they'd had them in stock at one point, but raw. Nobody I talked to, including the grading companies, was aware of these having been graded.

So, barring evidence to the contrary, I'm the first & only guy with these on slab! Not bad for books that are 25 years old.

Maybe the numbering is weird b/c it isn't a "core" DHC Aliens run (Earth War, Colonial Marines, Genocide, etc.)? Probably a question for both CBCS & Dark Horse.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Squack private msg quote post Address this user
I can't stop laughing at Kenner's Twitter reply!! Too funny!!
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Poor Hicks always gets the shit end of every mission... They look awesome, congratulations!
Post 42 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@BabaLament - Since I have never seen these in person, my only guess is that there is no number inside the book either on the inside cover or splash page. CBCS tends to use whatever is listed on the bottom of the inside cover or splash page indicia for their labels. So if the numbers aren’t listed there, they might just ignore the information on the cover.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@BabaLament - Since I have never seen these in person, my only guess is that there is no number inside the book either on the inside cover or splash page. CBCS tends to use whatever is listed on the bottom of the inside cover or splash page indicia for their labels. So if the numbers aren’t listed there, they might just ignore the information on the cover.

That was my guess since cbcs is very strict about being consistent about reflecting what is on the splash page on the label.
Post 44 IP   flag post
598069 44 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?