Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkCBCS Signature VSP

Blog post about VSP4945

Collector RichJohnston private msg quote post Address this user
I was probably referring to Liefeld, but Todd did confirm those are not his signatures or artwork.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJohnston
I was probably referring to Liefeld, but Todd did confirm those are not his signatures or artwork.

Well - here is a Liefeld example. As said - how many examples do you want?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Youngblood-1-CGC-SS-9-8-Rob-Liefeld-blank-sketch-variant-IMAGE-comcis/142635480108?hash=item2135bcb42c:g:KdwAAOSwH3haP8A5
Post 77 IP   flag post
Btw - not saying there is no issue as matter has never been explained properly - but I don't believe for a second that the artists don't sign any blank sketch copies. They do!!!
Post 78 IP   flag post
Fair point. Maybe they just don't think they have. They did say that their signatures were fake. And I do think it's disingenuous for CBCS to say they only certify the signatures when a) the creators say they are fake and b) the sketches they are attached to are so clearly fake that it seems bizarre to believe they wouldn't have had some impact on the CBCS certifying process.

As to BC and CGC, I would utterly have reported the same thing about CGC, except these sellers highlighted weren't using CGC. The only difference is that I might have got a response when I first approached them.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Fair point. Maybe they just don't think they have. They did say that their signatures were fake. And I do think it's disingenuous for CBCS to say they only certify the signatures when a) the creators say they are fake and b) the sketches they are attached to are so clearly fake that it seems bizarre to believe they wouldn't have had some impact on the CBCS certifying process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

Well - here is a Liefeld example. As said - how many examples do you want?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Youngblood-1-CGC-SS-9-8-Rob-Liefeld-blank-sketch-variant-IMAGE-comcis/142635480108?hash=item2135bcb42c:g:KdwAAOSwH3haP8A5

Well - maybe this signature certified by CGC is fake as well then
Post 80 IP   flag post

Could be!
Post 81 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The only difference is that I might have got a response when I first approached them(CGC).
Quote:
just wanted to add, CBCS was contacted for comment well before publication, without response

Unfortunately this is the most believable part of the story. Sad Panda :/
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
But the label header says: "Authentic Signature & Artwork

This is precisely why Americans should use the Oxford comma, always.

“Authentic Signature, and Artwork”

Ow, ow, ow! It hurts!

Yes on using the Oxford comma. I'm all for it. But no, that's not an Oxford comma. Sorry.

As for putting a comma there, it's probably acceptable in informal writing to do that ... to remove the ambiguity as to which words are being modified by "Authentic." But I don't think it is generally correct to do that.

How about "Authentic Signature with Artwork?" Or just "Authentic Signature," and let the marketplace figure out the art itself isn't authenticated? I think that's how I would do it.

Curious, how is that not an oxford? It clearly serves the purpose of separating authentic from artwork, used before the word “and”.

Without the comma, artwork is encapsulated within the umbrella of authentic; authentic signature and artwork.

With it, we have clear separation; authentic signature, and artwork.

Your idea of simply swapping “and” for “with” solves it better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Correction is good, no matter how old.

Unless the correction is simply for the sake of correction, and said correction is only opinion disguised as fact (not talking about your post @Tedsaid)
Post 83 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
The only difference is that I might have got a response when I first approached them(CGC).
Quote:
just wanted to add, CBCS was contacted for comment well before publication, without response

Unfortunately this is the most believable part of the story. Sad Panda :/

They sure do got more ppl
Post 84 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Curious, how is that not an oxford? It clearly serves the purpose of separating authentic from artwork, used before the word “and”.

Quote:

Unless the correction is simply for the sake of correction, and said correction is only opinion disguised as fact (not talking about your post @Tedsaid)

Thanks, Shrewbeer.

So, the Oxford (or 'serial') comma is used to remove ambiguity when there are three or more items in a series. (Here's wikipedia on it.) So your comma suggestion definitely removes ambiguity, but not quite in the same way, as it isn't a list of three or more items. </pedant>

But I totally agree that something needs to be changed in the label. In fact, I think the ampersand is even worse than using "and" there, as an ampersand goes further (in my mind) in connecting "signature" and "artwork" together as one thing.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It's worth pointing out, Rich, that nowhere in the article is it claimed that the CBCS verified signatures are fake. I don't think this claim is made about any of the signatures, actually. But only one of the visible examples is CBCS ... all the rest are PGX.

Maybe you are conflating CBCS with PGX? In the same way you seem to conflate the artists' claim that their art is fake, with the idea that their signatures are fake?

Also, it is rather disingenuous to say that the artwork is "obviously" fake. Neal Adams was fooled, after all, about his own work. And you can't tell about the Liefeld work without comparing to the original drawings. I'm not sure how you can support a claim that the art is "obviously" fake. Particularly if you aren't even looking for it; if, say, it is outside of the scope of the verification program?
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Oh my word! This takes me back 50 years to my Grammar School where my English Master was a Cambridge man.

I was taught the list was : Yellow and Green and Blue and Red.

The comma was used instead of "and" : Yellow, Green, Blue and Red.

The "and" meaning that we have come to the end of the list

The Oxford comma was redundant tautology.

I know that proponents of both systems can invent convoluted sentences where THEIR usages can only be used and the other systems are shown to be fabricated.

The Oxford comma makes me shudder as much as a
misplaced apostrophe: I love comic's.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
Why not just say
Signature is verified. Artwork Isn't.

Suppose you had the penciling done by one and inking done by another?
Post 88 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade

I know that proponents of both systems can invent convoluted sentences where THEIR usages can only be used and the other systems are shown to be fabricated.

Well, I don't know about 'convoluted' ... the classic example of ambiguity without the Oxford comma is:

"I'd like to thank my parents, Ayn Rand and God."

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Of course, those who dismiss the extra comma like to say one could just reword the sentence to remove the ambiguity. But I've always felt that punctuation should be in service of the writing, not the other way around. So I'll keep using it. :-)
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
But the label header says: "Authentic Signature & Artwork

This is precisely why Americans should use the Oxford comma, always.

“Authentic Signature, and Artwork”

Ow, ow, ow! It hurts!

Yes on using the Oxford comma. I'm all for it. But no, that's not an Oxford comma. Sorry.

As for putting a comma there, it's probably acceptable in informal writing to do that ... to remove the ambiguity as to which words are being modified by "Authentic." But I don't think it is generally correct to do that.

How about "Authentic Signature with Artwork?" Or just "Authentic Signature," and let the marketplace figure out the art itself isn't authenticated? I think that's how I would do it.

Without the comma, artwork is encapsulated within the umbrella of authentic; authentic signature and artwork.

With it, we have clear separation; authentic signature, and artwork.

Your idea of simply swapping “and” for “with” solves it better though.

Quote:

lol

Post 90 IP   flag post

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Post 91 IP   flag post
8 year olds, dude.
Post 92 IP   flag post

Post 93 IP   flag post

Post 94 IP   flag post

Post 95 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Oh my word! This takes me back 50 years to my Grammar School where my English Master was a Cambridge man.

The Oxford comma makes me shudder as much as a
misplaced apostrophe: I love comic's.

Big difference though. The comma is not wrong; it is arguably redundant. That apostrophe is very irritating, agreed there!

You would hate reading my contracts. In writing law it is best to add as many redundancies as possible, to avoid any need of clarification by judgement. Oxford commas? I put that sh*t on everything
Post 96 IP   flag post
600635 96 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?