Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeGrading Help NeededSignatures

To Slab or not to Slab? Hmmm...4925

Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Fellas,

I'm considering submitting the following issues to CBCS for signature authentication and sealing...
Problem is they're not high value or great condition books. Thought I would get opinions from you all.
Thanks for your help.

The first is Six-Gun Western #3, Good? But it has a Stan Lee signature from '81'.

The second one is Defenders #80, VG-? This was a surprise I bought for $1 and later realized it had a Rich Buckler signature.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Slab it or sell them to me. Lol
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
you'll have to slab & get certificates that the signatures are valid.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@CEPubDude The Stan Lee signature looks legit - all my books I've had with signatures of his from the 90s and 80s look spot on to that.

Cool books!
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@CEPubDude - I wouldn’t bother getting the Defenders stabbed. It is fairly easy and inexpensive to obtain Rich Buckler’s signature at a convention. You’d be better off putting the money saved towards obtaining another book in better condition and getting a witnessed signature.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Slab them both Rich Buckler has passed away nice books.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
VSP them both
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
The costs of shipping, signature verification, slabbing, return shipping, cost of acquiring a customer online. Makes these two books very poor candidates for resale above and beyond the costs of slabbing with verification. I would recommend selling them raw if they no longer are part of your personal collection.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
The costs of shipping, signature verification, slabbing, return shipping, cost of acquiring a customer online. Makes these two books very poor candidates for resale above and beyond the costs of slabbing with verification. I would recommend selling them raw if they no longer are part of your personal collection.

I think I have to agree...although cool books...not worth the costs, if one to resell them.

If they are always going to be in your collection, AND you want them to be displayed...I'd try them,out for a raw grade sleeve or slabbed for visual display and archive.

Do what YOU think will make you happy.

Enjoy and good luck PubDude.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the great input! Much appreciated!

Yeah these are my personal collection, the Six-Guns was a gift from my middle school best friend back in '85' so that one's a keeper. Mostly interested in preserving it properly. Maybe when master Stan passes from this earth (hopefully never) the signature value will escalate.

The Defenders book was just a surprise I found recently. I was like "Holy SH#T, that's Signed!" when I found it. I'll probably just send it along with others for a raw grade and maybe VSP... Would just be cool to verify if the Buckler signature is real.

I have some other priority gems definitely going in like an FF Annual #6 signed by Joe Sinnot and a Silver Surfer #32 (V2 90's) also signed by Joe and Tom Vincent.

So what do you all use to display books that are slabbed? I haven't seen a keen wall hanging device yet...

Thanks again! I really do enjoy all the CBCS Forum banter!
--Mike
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
Slab them both Rich Buckler has passed away nice books.

Wow. Totally missed that. Sorry.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Here’s a Rich Buckler autograph that I got at RI Comic Con two or three years ago. So I would say yours looks legit.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Www.comicskin.com. If you know their authentic and are just keeping them for display, they have options that will not only be less, but you can customize your label and reopen them whenever you want.
Post 13 IP   flag post
598059 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?