CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

X-Men #1 Newsstand Grail4896

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
@shrewbeer What do you think the numbers are on X-Men #2 newsstand?

I'll dig around comichron a bit more when I get some time, but newsstand vs direct print run data is very hard to come by. I'd love to know the various #2-10 as well

Thanks! I have #2, 4, and 5 in newsstand and will be working on getting #1 and #3, #6-10. You have inspired me.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
You have inspired me.

ahhhh damn, I guess you wont be selling me that #5 anytime soon then I suppose

I have quite a few of the issues in the series, but none graded aside from these. I've been holding onto a shortbox full of high grade newsstands worth sending in, once the TATs around here get more reasonable and I have the loot, I'll send them all in with grade screen to see what comes out the other side!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
While JJM's Direct market numbers are within the margin of error accurate, the newsstand figures are not. They're off by substantial margins.

Just the fact that they're all identical tells us that those numbers are the roughest of rough estimates.

Newsstand buyers, in general, weren't collectors, and wouldn't have cared about owning two, much less all four, different covers. That's IN GENERAL. They would have bought a copy of whatever cover was available, or whatever cover they liked best if they had the choice.

In comparison to Direct market copies, they are substantially rarer, but that's in comparison to the highest selling single issue of all time. It is not rarer than other newsstand issues of the time period, but, like all newsstands of 1991, it's a bit more difficult to find, especially in high grade.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Highest selling? Yes. Most collected? No. And "1:X" has a meaning in comics that doesn't apply to these books. Comichron does not refer to them that way. Newsstands aren't "variants" as the industry refers to them; they're newsstand editions.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker
Good find Shrewbeer!

Tx!

I do wish there was more information available from the newsstand era of books :/
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Domogotcomics private msg quote post Address this user
You have inspired me on a new quest. Thank you and shame on you at the same time.
Very nice set. I bought this series direct for the most part but I did frequent a stationary at the time for books so now I have to check my boxes.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
While JJM's Direct market numbers are within the margin of error accurate, the newsstand figures are not. They're off by substantial margins.

Just the fact that they're all identical tells us that those numbers are the roughest of rough estimates.

Newsstand buyers, in general, weren't collectors, and wouldn't have cared about owning two, much less all four, different covers. That's IN GENERAL. They would have bought a copy of whatever cover was available, or whatever cover they liked best if they had the choice.

In comparison to Direct market copies, they are substantially rarer, but that's in comparison to the highest selling single issue of all time. It is not rarer than other newsstand issues of the time period, but, like all newsstands of 1991, it's a bit more difficult to find, especially in high grade.

Newsstand buyers from that period may not have even known that multiple covers exist.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domogotcomics
You have inspired me on a new quest. Thank you and shame on you at the same time.
Very nice set. I bought this series direct for the most part but I did frequent a stationary at the time for books so now I have to check my boxes.

You’re welcome; and I dont regret it 😁

Chasing newsstands is a fun way to collect copper and moderns, it actually makes it challenging.

My first newsstand chase was in ‘93, Man of Steel #18. The book was several months old at the point when I wanted it to complete my doomsday direct+newsstand run. No ebay, no online resources. I’ll never forget happening upon it on consignment for $12 at Dowe’s Drug downtown, one of those 11-year-old moments of joy. I got ripped off at that price back then, but was still happy to pay it 😁

I digress...
Post 33 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
My first newsstand chase was in ‘93, Man of Steel #18.

how about that 5th printing brah

Post 34 IP   flag post
Oh damn my bad, it was 19 not 18. Worthless book, but the cover is burned into my memory. That 5th #18 u got there is pretty cool tho

Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Domogotcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Turns out I have a X-Men #4 ns. So appears I started my transition to this hunt long ago. Now to fulfill my destiny smh.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
I just sold a set of the "Death of Superman" arc; all first printings. One of my favorite comic arc's, but I'm not much of a Superman guy, so it was time for them to find a good home.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Tommy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I still have an unopened "Pedigree Pack" (obviously not Newsstand).
I wonder if those could yield 9.9s?
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy49

Schrödinger's pack. They are 10's until they are opened. And then likely they are really 7s or 8s
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Schrödinger's pack. They are 10's until they are opened. And then likely they are really 7s or 8s

I have thought very seriously about just mailing the pack to CBCS unopened to let them crack it and grade them. I have Shadohawk, Youngblood, and 2 different Spawns that together have 1-9 in them.
Post 40 IP   flag post
@Tommy49 Unless it’s signed or sketched, I really would recommend against having any direct edition 1991 X-Men #1 books,Youngblood, or even Spawn graded and encapsulated. Unless newsstand of course (the Spawn #1 in newsstand will easily net you a cool $350 in 9.8).

Those direct edition titles were highly hoarded and can be had raw in very high grade for less than the cost of grading alone. If you arent absolutely positive of at least a 9.8, you’re throwing your cash away and even then you may just break even in value.

Also of note, Never count on a 9.9. You could have been standing at the end of the production line when they were prnted, grabbed 50 of them, and still may not have gotten a 9.9. 🤯
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:

Do you mean this, or something like it?

If so, those are after-market products, and while the books might be in high grade, they weren't assembled with any sort of thought to condition. The books in those packs tend to be in the 9.0-9.8 range.

There's almost no chance that a 9.9 would come out of those, just because of the nature of how these were printed and handled.

If you're interested in 9.8s, though, you can always send the books in under the "grade screening" service, and specify 9.8 as your minimum grade.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer I collect X-Men and that was my introduction to comics as a hobby, so that is the only reason I would even consider slabbing them.
Besides, a guy can dream, can't he?
And, yes @DocBrown that very set!
Post 43 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Tommy49 Unless it’s signed or sketched, I really would recommend against having any direct edition 1991 X-Men #1 books,Youngblood, or even Spawn graded and encapsulated.

*shrug* I just sent the full set of X-Men #1 covers in. Not really worried about price/value, I just think they will look cool up on the wall.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
@shrewbeer I collect X-Men and that was my introduction to comics as a hobby, so that is the only reason I would even consider slabbing them.

Oh dont get me wrong, I have slabbed some completely worthless stuff just because it means a lot to me 🍺
Post 45 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Oh dont get me wrong, I have slabbed some completely worthless stuff just because it means a lot to me 🍺

Hmmm...maybe there is a market for people who want books encapsulated but not graded or checked for restoration.

You know, like a book that reminds you of the day you met so and so at a Con. And the label has a short synopsis of that occurrence on it. Or something like "This is the first book my dad bought me, Dec. 24th, 1982". "CVS Pharmacy in Wilmington, Ohio"

That kind of stuff.

Just a thought.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:
Quote:

Hmmm...maybe there is a market for people who want books encapsulated by not graded or checked for restoration.

You know, like a book that reminds you of the day you met so and so at a Con. And the label has a short synopsis of that occurrence on it. Or something like "This is the first book my dad bought me, Dec. 24th, 1982". "CVS Pharmacy in Wilmington, Ohio"

That kind of stuff.

Just a thought.

I think this is an absolutely wonderful idea.

Edit: My memory could use a refresher here and there.
Post 47 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak that’s a great idea.

Imo CBCS is not just for grading comics, but encapsulating, preserving, and protecting books as well.
Post 48 IP   flag post
I've sent in a bunch of comics that aren't particularly valuable because I want to preserve/protect them. As much as I love BCW Toploaders, the quality of the QC department has gone down noticeably in the last year or so. Out of each ten pack I get at least one cracked/broken, three or four that are scratched up so bad that it prevents using it as a display, and out of a case of toploaders I'll get a dozen that have a taper that narrows down towards the bottom so bad that a comic on bag/board won't fit unless its jammed in, which would cause damage to the book.

BCW customer service also seems to have two departments; one for new orders (where the phone is answered instantly) and another for returns/complaints (where there is apparently one employee, who wandered off on "break" years ago & hasn't been heard from since).

So yes, I rely on CBCS for preservation of "cool" comics, as well as grade for those I plan to eventually monetize. I think a...nostalgia service(?) that would slab a comic w/o grade would be great.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
nostalgia service
m

@conditionfreak started it @BabaLament named it.

Hear hear!
Post 50 IP   flag post
Shrewbeer, what information do you think a "nostalgia, *not* graded" slab label would have on it? Publisher, pub. date, title?
Post 51 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Couldn’t you just submit any comic for an “Art” label?
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Couldn’t you just submit any comic for an “Art” label?

I think you are correct, I wonder how custom one can describe their “Art”...
Post 53 IP   flag post
So a label w/ Title, Publisher, and "Cover Art: (Enter Artist Here), Interior Art: (Enter Artist(s) Here)"?
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer Was thinking of you when I saw this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-men-1-cgc-9-8-1991-four-variants-signed-by-Stan-Lee-and-Jim-lee/152819039357?hash=item2394b97c7d:g:gx8AAOSw-jFZ7zPr
Post 55 IP   flag post
601333 64 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?