Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

X-Men #1 Newsstand Grail4896

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Newsstand grail achievement unlocked!

I have been chasing this X-Men (series2) #1 a-b-c-d 9.8 set for years now. What may seem to folks as a very common book, even in 9.8 as drek, is ridiculously rare in newsstand. This is grail material for me, and I’m beyond excited to own these.

Further, I believe these covers were available in very limited quantities together, as the majority were distributed in zones (cover A to zone x, cover B to zone Y, etc), which makes it even more difficult to put the newsstand set back together. If anyone knows what covers went to which zones, please share!

Newsstand books dont always have a lower estimated print run, but even then they were mostly read, not hoarded and collected like their direct spidey-head counterparts from the comic book store, leaving NS 9.8s almost non-existent.

I have a raw set in my collection that took me a long time to complete, and I think all are 9.8 *candidates. They may not be. Someone I’m close with saw this set pop up on ebay for $200/BO and they hit the BIN immediately for me, knowing I would have paid thousands for it; no need to negotiate.

I am especially happy to have these graded by CBCS. Upon inspection, I see no defects like spine dings or corner blunting that should hold the book back from such a high grade. These are done accurately, and I couldn’t be more pleased with their condition.

Without further ado...

*this is not made up hype for profit, as I’ve heard some say the newsstand racket is. These books are NOT for sale, nor will be ever, unless I find myself in dire financial straits someday.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Zombiebigfoot private msg quote post Address this user
Nice! 👍🏼
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer Awesome! I have multiple copies of each cover, but I don't think any of them are newstand... I didn't think to check! Haven't paid attention to them in years, since there are so many copies of them and the newstand vs direct discussion wasn't something I kept on before becoming part of this forum. This was AFTER I did my last HUGE re-org of my collection several months ago... You should see the pics. Yikes! I think some would cringe, ha ha.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector GeeWiz private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
I know these even as newsstand are super mass produced but that Jim lee art makes them worth the purchase.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahSult
I know these even as newsstand are super mass produced but that Jim lee art makes them worth the purchase.

Mass-produced, yes. Available in 9.8 (even 9.4 or better)? Without years of searching, unless you are very lucky, .. no.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
Nice! Did they also do a newsstand of e with the foldout connecting all the covers together?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker
Nice! Did they also do a newsstand of e with the foldout connecting all the covers together?

That one is a unicorn, I don’t believe that The gatefold newsstand exists
Post 8 IP   flag post
Well that sucks!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Very cool. I bought this when it came out and there were no other cover versions in my area. I looked everywhere hoping to find the others.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahSult

Mass-produced, yes. Available in 9.8 (even 9.4 or better)? Without years of searching, unless you are very lucky, .. no.

Agree to disagree
Post 12 IP   flag post
@X51 what region are you in? From what I’ve heard cover A was the Northwest, cover B the northeast, and you have cover C there.

I need a lot more witnesses in order to call any of that fact though 😁
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
@X51 what region are you in? From what I’ve heard cover A was the Northwest, cover B the northeast, and you have cover C there.

Atlanta, GA area.... Southeast. I've only seen one newsstand copy in the wild in the last 20 years, and it was the same cover version that I own. I was of the belief that they'd only produced the one newsstand cover version until you proved me wrong.
Post 14 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

That one is a unicorn, I don’t believe that The gatefold newsstand exists

There was no gatefold version on newsstand copies. Just the four individual covers.
The gatefold was Direct only.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Atlanta, GA area.... Southeast. I've only seen one newsstand copy in the wild in the last 20 years, and it was the same cover version that I own. I was of the belief that they'd only produced the one newsstand cover version until you proved me wrong.

There is also a theory that the covers were all released to all newsstands, but in different limited quantities at different times, and pulled when the next cover came out. The theory holds that your cover would have been the second to last release, all previous covers pulled from stock, and for only a few short weeks. I dont put much stock in that one though, and if true you would have had to miss all previous covers and at least seen cover D next in your search.

The direct edition had a similar release, roughly one per week culminating with the last release of the gatefold book.

It would be great if a previous newsstand owner could provide some clarity, but thats a tall order considering most of them are no longer in business and couldnt care less about comics :/
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

There is also a theory that the covers were all released to all newsstands, but in different limited quantities at different times, and pulled when the next cover came out. The theory holds that your cover would have been the second to last release, all previous covers pulled from stock, and for only a few short weeks. I dont put much stock in that one though, and if true you would have had to miss all previous covers and at least seen cover D next in your search.

The direct edition had a similar release, roughly one per week culminating with the last release of the gatefold book.

It would be great if a previous newsstand owner could provide some clarity, but thats a tall order considering most of them are no longer in business and couldnt care less about comics :/

I'm not inclined to believe that theory. Newsstand comics were released after direct market versions and I was watching and waiting for the newsstand version of X-Men #1 to be released. I was looking at the spinner racks in the weeks before and after. I would've seen one of the other covers if it had been released in my area. I had the foresight to know that newsstand covers would have the lowest availability in the future so I bought any that seemed noteworthy like Wildcats 2 & Superman #75.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@X51 good info, that attests to the zone theory most believe.

Anyone from central or southwest USA (or any region really) that knows which cover hit their newsstand?
Post 18 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
i remember them being in packs at walmart when i was a kid
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
i remember them being in packs at walmart when i was a kid

Highest selling, most collected book of all time. Not surprised Walmart was hawking them in packs as well lol

The newsstand started out roughly a 1:50 variant according to comichron HERE, who claim to have ripped the numbers directly from marvel internally. After factoring in how newsstand books were treated compared to the hoarding of direct additions, Id surmise it’s at least 1:500 now.

Although the numbers in this chart are rounded to the nearest thousand, the Guinness book of records seems to believe they are authentic

Post 20 IP   flag post
Good find Shrewbeer!
Post 21 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer What do you think the numbers are on X-Men #2 newsstand?
Post 22 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
where did u get your data from? works cited please
Post 23 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke theres a link in my post
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga

I'll dig around comichron a bit more when I get some time, but newsstand vs direct print run data is very hard to come by. I'd love to know the various #2-10 as well
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I'll dig around comichron a bit more when I get some time, but newsstand vs direct print run data is very hard to come by. I'd love to know the various #2-10 as well

Thanks! I have #2, 4, and 5 in newsstand and will be working on getting #1 and #3, #6-10. You have inspired me.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
You have inspired me.

ahhhh damn, I guess you wont be selling me that #5 anytime soon then I suppose

I have quite a few of the issues in the series, but none graded aside from these. I've been holding onto a shortbox full of high grade newsstands worth sending in, once the TATs around here get more reasonable and I have the loot, I'll send them all in with grade screen to see what comes out the other side!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
While JJM's Direct market numbers are within the margin of error accurate, the newsstand figures are not. They're off by substantial margins.

Just the fact that they're all identical tells us that those numbers are the roughest of rough estimates.

Newsstand buyers, in general, weren't collectors, and wouldn't have cared about owning two, much less all four, different covers. That's IN GENERAL. They would have bought a copy of whatever cover was available, or whatever cover they liked best if they had the choice.

In comparison to Direct market copies, they are substantially rarer, but that's in comparison to the highest selling single issue of all time. It is not rarer than other newsstand issues of the time period, but, like all newsstands of 1991, it's a bit more difficult to find, especially in high grade.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Highest selling? Yes. Most collected? No. And "1:X" has a meaning in comics that doesn't apply to these books. Comichron does not refer to them that way. Newsstands aren't "variants" as the industry refers to them; they're newsstand editions.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Good find Shrewbeer!

Tx!

I do wish there was more information available from the newsstand era of books :/
Post 30 IP   flag post
601274 64 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?