Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper Age

Copper Slab Suggestions Needed4894

Collector Pixx_L private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all.

I used to collect from this era as a kid and recently decided to start preparing to get rid of them. I could use a bit of advice on what might be worth slabbing. I know there are high numbers of copies for a lot of these books, looking at ebay and mycomicshop have been somewhat instructive on where prices are for key issues but in some cases there seem to be gaps* and given I have more than a few things signed from going to conventions around that time I could use some input. Below is an excel I started to put together (ignore the template/formatting):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpacyombmo3d1b6/Comic Inventory List.xlsx?dl=0

I should also note I haven't added a run of Wizard Magazine early issues (6-30-ish) from that era kept NM & bagged.

*Meaning mycomicshop will either list out-of-stock or VF but no NM or ebay will not have any recent listings showing (past or present).
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm assuming that when you list X-Men issues as being the 1st series, that you are not talking about comics published in the 1960's.

I'm not seeing anything I'd slab. Most of it is stuff that might be sold in a dollar box. If you read or handled them with normal care as a kid, they are not likely to get a very high grade. You'd have to be coming back with 9.8 or above to make them more salable. Even then it's a roll of the dice because you's have to get your grading fees back and your signature verification fees back. Maybe someone else spots something worth getting graded. I don't look for comics from that time period. Someone else may have a better idea of what books from that time period are starting to do well.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Too many for me to go through at the moment. But you might want to post pictures of ASM 361, 362 and 363 on here for opinions. Also, if those early "Bones" are first prints, post those for opinions also. Say 1,2,3 and 4.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
I might slab Spawn 1 and 9 assuming 9.8 condition. Same with Lady Rawhide only because I like Linsner covers.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Without conditions listed for the books it's hard to say what's worth slabbing as most of the books don't seem to be worth much. The books listed above, including Iron man 282, are probably worth slabbing if in 9.6 and above but the others not at all.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Pixx_L most of that stuff is really common drek, unless it is in high grade and newsstand. If those are unread barcode books you may have something; otherwise the obvious misc others have mentioned are good for a slab 👍🏻
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I'm assuming that when you list X-Men issues as being the 1st series, that you are not talking about comics published in the 1960's.

1st series meaning - according to what mycomicshop lists (I guess there's been a lot of rebooting for series in the years since). So if it's an X-Men #1 (1st series)- as opposed to Uncanny X-Men 1st series - we're talking about the 1991 #1 Jim Lee did (with 5 variant covers).

Also everything listed is NM unless otherwise noted. They've basically just been boarded and bagged sitting in long boxes taking up storage space for 25yrs.

The Bones are Image reprints until about #17 or so where Smith began doing 1st prints on Image before eventually switching back to CB around issue #28 (I think). But many of them are signed and a few have sketches he did on them which is part of the dilemma of whether that might be worth slabbing or would people prefer a signed book that's a bit higher in number (or reprinted) to just be bagged.

There are certain things like Spawn #1 or say 1st Doomsday that may be obvious contenders. But there are few others that have me scratching my head:

Gen 13 #1 (Mcfarlane Spidey inspired Variant & Sandman inspired Variant)
Silver Sable #1 (due to new movie in the works)
Solar/Ninjak/X-O/Various Valiant stuff signed by Joe Quesada (due to live action and possible Valiant resurgence?)
Early Spawn issues signed by Greg Capullo and Tony Daniel vs Early Spawn issues (#1-#9)
Green Lantern #19 (2nd series) Signed by late GL Creator Mart Nodell
Savage Dragon #1 (which fetches a decent price on ebay and sells at a decent pace but savage dragon never seemed that loved to me)
Early Wizard Mag issues (it was kind of an institution at the time for comic geeks)

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
@Pixx_L
I would VSP that Marty Nodell signed Green Lantern. Ain't no one getting his autograph anymore and oh by the way - he only created Green Lantern
Post 8 IP   flag post
Looking through that list again and I don't really see anything worth grading except for the books mentioned previously. The Valiant books are just too common and are later issues. If they had been pre-Unity then maybe but most are just too common. Hulk 377 would be good if it were the rarer 3rd print (?), but if it's the first or second printing then no. MOS #18 is done and over with so it's not worth it unless it's a 9.8.

I've never seen a Gen 13 #1 Sandman inspired variant. Is it the Marvel, DC, or ECW () character? Is that a typo or does that really exist?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
I've never seen a Gen 13 #1 Sandman inspired variant. Is it the Marvel, DC, or ECW () character? Is that a typo or does that really exist?

It's Image (J. Scott Cambell's series).

Here's the McFarlane one:
https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/796975.jpg

& the Sandman version:
https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/700415.jpg

I also had a question about how much corner wearing that is more printing defect (specifically upper left corner) than actual wear is graded down. I'll post some pics when I have more time this weekend but as you guys are saying the difference between a 9.8 vs a 9.4 can be huge for this era.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixx_L
Quote:

& the Sandman version:

I also had a question about how much corner wearing that is more printing defect (specifically upper left corner) than actual wear is graded down. I'll post some pics when I have more time this weekend but as you guys are saying the difference between a 9.8 vs a 9.4 can be huge for this era.

Thanks for posting the picture of the Sandman variant. I've never seen that issue. Really cool.
Post 11 IP   flag post
The first series of X-Men started in 1963. The series changed name to "Uncanny X-Men" on issue #142. The 90's series would be the 2nd series.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixx_L
Quote:

Here's the McFarlane one:
https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/796975.jpg

& the Sandman version:

You are better off selling these books raw, if you can't catch 9.8's on them.

Based on what else you've said, I would strongly suggest getting a subscription to GOCOLLECT or GPA.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Since your asking for advice on what to certify. That would lead me to believe your not qualified to identify if a book would certify either a 9.2 or 9.8. I wouldn’t recommend certifying any of it. The VSP is just throwing more money at a book with little to negative return depending on the final grade of the book.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I personally only grade books I want to keep. If I don’t intend to keep it I sell it raw, so I don’t really care if I made out or not on the slabbing. However I pretty much only keep first appearances and #1’s. You can’t go wrong that way. It does seem that most folks slab for resale, though. If some of those are rarities, or potentially good characters first appearances, go for it!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
I personally only grade books I want to keep. If I don’t intend to keep it I sell it raw, so I don’t really care if I made out or not on the slabbing. However I pretty much only keep first appearances and #1’s. You can’t go wrong that way. It does seem that most folks slab for resale, though. If some of those are rarities, or potentially good characters first appearances, go for it!

It's a gamble, but if you could only sell a raw comic for a dollar, it can be beneficial to have a very high grade book graded and sell it for $100. It would have to be near perfect. As Homer above stated, this is unlikely.

To me, he'd be better off listing it all as one lot and selling it for whatever low bid it'll generate. There's enough okay or interesting stuff that it might motivate someone to take the junk. If you sell off the okay stuff separate, then you're stuck with junk that you'll never sell.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Since your asking for advice on what to certify. That would lead me to believe your not qualified to identify if a book would certify either a 9.2 or 9.8. I wouldn’t recommend certifying any of it. The VSP is just throwing more money at a book with little to negative return depending on the final grade of the book.

Yes, I fully agree.

That is why I suggested he study what the books sell for in GPA.

The thing to do, would to have the books pressed and screened for 9.8's.

But if he doesn't have the eye to accurately estimate grades, it is a toss up.

The Nodell book is likely good for a $100, just because of the fact of who the creator is...but if it comes back under a 9.4, he will likely break even....and it may take months to sell.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Unless your skilled at identifying 9.8 quality, its best to sell this collection as a collection with the keys included. Spending more time, money pressing, money grading, shipping, reject fee's, cost of acquiring a customer fee, its simply not worth it.

I continuously see hundreds if not a thousand books on each comic link focused auction that never should of been certified. They are off grade and sell for equal or less than costs of certifying plus all the shipping and consignment fee's. Either someone is giving these people bad advice on what to actually send in to get certified. Or people are being bullheaded and not listening to others and think the golden goose is if they get there books slabbed they will get top dollar.

Its one thing to get your personal collection graded because its your personal collection. Its another to create a business model of getting books slabbed to increase the resale value of your collection.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids

Based on what else you've said, I would strongly suggest getting a subscription to GOCOLLECT or GPA.

Thanks. I've been a bit busy and hadn't been able to get back to this after the Thanksgiving holiday. GoCollect was actually very helpful to get a better idea of pricing. Mycomicshop has a lot gaps with out-of-stock or only VF issues.

Perfect books aren't hard to spot. The question (which is more a by-product of experience with sending books out to be graded) is how much one or two slight imperfections demote the grade. Two examples:

I have an issue of Bone #24 (1st print/Image - CB was a reprint for this issue) that has a very slight spine tick (by the rat's ear on the cover) and very slight corner wear. Would each of these be treated separately as .2 off or together as more of an overall condition. This is a case where I'll probably have it graded and if it doesn't sell on ebay or w/e it will just be a souvenir from my former collection hanging on the wall - fond memories of meeting Smith and him being nice enough to volunteer a sketch on the cover when he signed etc. Pics:

Another example was something like this send away UNICEF special edition Spiderman with Venom on the cover. There's some slight chipping on the upper left corner that looks more like a printing defect than wear. Again how much would something like this drop the condition of an otherwise nice looking book .2, .4, more? In this case I don't think it's a contender even though I like the cover and was hopping for a bit of a Venom Movie bump. There's already plenty on ebay. Pics:

The last question - and if you've made it this far, thanks for hanging in there! - is about misprints (double covers). Even though the below X-factor issue isn't particularly valuable it has a double cover misprint signed - on both covers - by both Quesada and Palmiotti. Present popularity of the title, artists, and the desirability to niche misprint collectors were all questions in my mind. See below:

Post 19 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Depending on grades I would focus on the following:

1. Anything signed
2. Early valiants, especially RAI 0
3. If they are silver age or golden age the Green Lanterns are interesting, otherwise not so much
4. ASM 361, 362
5. JLA if we are talking the first series that started in 1960
Post 20 IP   flag post
600686 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?