Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Computer power question?4872

Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Other than my smartphone, my total home computer firepower pretty much is obsolete. So if I want to sell comic books on ebay what would be a minimum level of upgrade? Tablet, laptop, desktop, best combo tweener? I've started research and there is a lot to digest.

I won't be opening a full fledged ebay store, just taking advantage of the 50 free listings ebay offers. Figure with Black Friday deals coming now would be a good time to upgrade. Any suggestions appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
A desktop will give you the most computing power for your money.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
^^^ Agreed, for the price point, a desktop will almost always give you more for your money. That being said, they take up a lot more room compared to a laptop.

However, if the only thing you want to use it for is eBay listings, a laptop should more than suffice for that. Do you have a price range you're looking to spend? I could offer you a few suggestions in that range.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
The ebay app on my iPhone is 100x easier to list books with than any of my various computers (surface pro4, MacBook, etc). I would not purchase a computer just to list on ebay.

Not only is it easier to list items, but responding to offers, checking my selling history, etc is easier as well. The only thing it wont do is print shipping labels. If what you have already can do that, no need to upgrade.

*if you do upgrade, seriously consider purchasing from microsoftstore.com. It is the only place I know that you can get a clean computer. No additional adware, trials, etc BS software installed. I just bought a cheap Dell laptop for our small shipping department, total with tax shipped was $530.19 (i5, 1tb, 8gb)
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
This week would be the time to get something from Dell... I've purchased from Dell, HP, and others, and usually end up going back to Dell for PC and Laptop purchases - low cost quality leader... They'll have some really good deals. You can get a relative desktop replacement laptop without breaking the bank. If you don't care about HUGE speeds, go for an i5 processor, try to get up to a 1TB hard drive if possible, but the rest of the specs aren't really THAT important, since you're doing bare-bones functionality. Just look at their new options for good, better, best, plus various inputs. Personally, I'm always looking for at least 3 USB inputs, a VGA input for a monitor in case I WANT to use a regular monitor rather than the laptop monitor (thus, desktop replacement), or whatever...

I'm not an expert on what the latest and greatest computers are for those who are gamers and such, but I have bought a lot of computers and laptops for myself and others over the last couple of decades.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
The ebay app on my iPhone is 100x easier to list books with than any of my various computers (surface pro4, MacBook, etc). I would not purchase a computer just to list on ebay.

Not only is it easier to list items, but responding to offers, checking my selling history, etc is easier as well. The only thing it wont do is print shipping labels. If what you have already can do that, no need to upgrade.

*if you do upgrade, seriously consider purchasing from microsoftstore.com. It is the only place I know that you can get a clean computer. No additional adware, trials, etc BS software installed. I just bought a cheap Dell laptop for our small shipping department, total with tax shipped was $530.19 (i5, 1tb, 8gb)

I agree with this completely. It's amazing how much easier it is to navigate the app than the website itself.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector vabchgent private msg quote post Address this user

I don't think you need one of these, a nice desktop or low end Dell-HP laptop should suit the purpose.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd avoid buying an HP computer. I bought one and the hard drive was bad right out of the box. I looked at the wiring inside and all the wire would have failed a quality inspection where I work with cables too short & wires bent sharply (pinch points). I took it back & bought a Dell. Dell is much better.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I'd avoid buying an HP computer. I bought one and the hard drive was bad right out of the box. I looked at the wiring inside and all the wire would have failed a quality inspection where I work with cables too short & wires bent sharply (pinch points). I took it back & bought a Dell. Dell is much better.

When you buy a computer what you're really paying for is their service agreement / customer service.

There's nothing intrinsically better about Dell as opposed to most other companies because they all use the same guts more or less depending on what you pay for. The exception would've been the brand eMachines, but those were specifically tailored to be low end.

A lot of people recommend what they like so it comes down to brand loyalty.

The OP would be best served getting a desktop in the $500 range as that will handle his needs and not be a piece of junk.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I agree with that! We bought an HP laptop for my wife last time, and within six months had a LOT of problems... Within a year, we reverted to using her previous Dell Laptop, which is still running like a tank. It really needs to be replaced, but it's a dinosaur, ha ha.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Logan510 Not totally true... Yes, the "guts" may be the same, but they do a lot more testing, get the bios up to snuff, and make sure there are a lot less conflicts before releasing a new machine. Otherwise, you might as well just slap together a computer yourself with the same specs. You'd be as prone to conflicts.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I agree with that! We bought an HP laptop for my wife last time, and within six months had a LOT of problems... Within a year, we reverted to using her previous Dell Laptop, which is still running like a tank. It really needs to be replaced, but it's a dinosaur, ha ha.

I have no brand loyalty as I used to build my own PC's ( still build ones for the wife ), but when I decided to buy myself a new machine after my last one crapped out I ended up with an HP desktop I picked up at Best Buy. I've had it for 5 years and it still runs well...so there's that anecdotal story
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
I have no brand loyalty as I used to build my own PC's ( still build ones for the wife ), but when I decided to to buy myself a new machine after my last one crapped out I ended up with an HP desktop I picked up at Best Buy. I've had it for 5 years and it still runs well...so there's that anecdotal story

I'll give you that!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Logan510 Not totally true... Yes, the "guts" may be the same, but they do a lot more testing, get the bios up to snuff, and make sure there are a lot less conflicts before releasing a new machine. Otherwise, you might as well just slap together a computer yourself with the same specs. You'd be as prone to conflicts.

So, you know for a fact that Dell tests their machines more than HP or any other company? Or that the Dell bios are "better"?

I've worked in IT for a long time and worked with a lot of brands of desktops and laptops and I never once thought "wow, these bios just blow away everyone else's"

As an FYI, my company has used Dell for longer than other brands we've used and I prefer them for our situation at work, but not because I think they're inherently better than everything else.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

So, you know for a fact that Dell tests their machines more than HP or any other company? Or that the Dell bios are "better"?

I've worked in IT for a long time and worked with a lot of brands of desktops and laptops and I never once thought "wow, these bios just blow away everyone else's"

As an FYI, my company has used Dell for longer than other brands we've used and I prefer them for our situation at work, but not because I think they're inherently better than everything else.

For work, I've used Dell, HP, and IBM... Currently, work is an HP... Home Desktop is a Dell and laptops are the buggy HP and stable, but old Dell. I used to buy Gateway and Dell, depending on deals and specs, then went between HP and Dell, depending, but found HP to be less "bang for the buck". With the last two HP purchases, we had more problems, as with HP's purchased on the extended family side. I'm also keeping in mind non-IT people.

Since you're IT, @Logan510, like me, a lot of things aren't going to annoy you like they would others.

Still, though, bang for the buck, I see Dell as a bit better. That's also why I mentioned in the beginning the "low cost quality leader" comment. That's an abbreviated mission statement of theirs (they were a strategic partner at one of the old companies I worked for).

Anywho, we're on a bit of thread derailment here!

As long as everything runs well... We're looking at more cost and specs over anything else... "bang for the buck!"

This week is a good time to look! I'd say buy online over in stores, but you can get some good machines right out of the box in stores this weekend, too, from all of the large retailers. Just look for an I5 or better processor. If we're talking Celleron processors or other brands, I don't keep up on the specs.

I always recommend 1TB of hard drive, 8GB or RAM, a bigger display, since you're wanting a desktop replacement, and go from there.

Check out this Black Friday deal, for example... Starts at $649 with free shipping.

http://deals.dell.com/productdetail/qj4

It doesn't have a VGA input, but it does have HDMI, which most newer monitors have, so that works. Also means you can connect it to a TV, which I like.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
You just need an internet connection to sell on ebay. Just buy a cheap laptop and save your money for more comics.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

When you buy a computer what you're really paying for is their service agreement / customer service.

There's nothing intrinsically better about Dell as opposed to most other companies because they all use the same guts more or less depending on what you pay for. The exception would've been the brand eMachines, but those were specifically tailored to be low end.

A lot of people recommend what they like so it comes down to brand loyalty.

The OP would be best served getting a desktop in the $500 range as that will handle his needs and not be a piece of junk.

I used to build my own computers, so I'm aware of how many defective computer parts are being sold right out of the box. I don't care what kind of service agreement they offer because if the system fails, most recovery packages are not going to get your data back. Typically, you'll get your computer back to a working status and have to reinstall your software and hope that you had proper foresight to back up your files.

What I do care about is the integrity of the workmanship that went into making the product. Since I work for a company that builds industrial automation and controls, I saw some serious concerns about HP when I opened he case. The wiring practices are what I'd define as poor quality. For me, the fact that it didn't work right out of the box puts into question their testing, wiring, and ESD handling of the components. [ESD = Electrostatic Sensitive Device] Improper or inadequate control processes will lead to failures of the type I experienced.

I discussed my HP experience with the IT guy who maintains our network at work and he said his opinion of HP was the same as mine. He was having similar issues with HP on a larger scale. Dell gets my vote and his. I've owned an HP before... about 18 years ago... and it was fine. Something has changed drastically. That's a byproduct of cost-cutting, mergers, and tough economic times.

I avoid Seagate hard drives. With over two decades of building computers, Seagate was the only manufacturer I encountered that the hard drive died so badly that I was unable to recover ANY data.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
My computer is a bit long in the tooth but memory and other components are so expensive right now I decided to punt until Summer or next black Friday to get components for my next build.

I also figured out that my bottleneck with some of the larger spreadsheets has more to do with me using MS Office 2007 than my hardware. Apparently 32 bit Excel will max out at 2GB of memory use even if you have more while 64 bit (available in newer versions) will use more memory.

I can upgrade my software now and wait until component prices come down to get better hardware.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
My computer is a bit long in the tooth but memory and other components are so expensive right now I decided to punt until Summer or next black Friday to get components for my next build.

I also figured out that my bottleneck with some of the larger spreadsheets has more to do with me using MS Office 2007 than my hardware. Apparently 32 bit Excel will max out at 2GB of memory use even if you have more while 64 bit (available in newer versions) will use more memory.

I can upgrade my software now and wait until component prices come down to get better hardware.

There is no getting around a computer upgrade. There is no getting around upgrade bugs. The bigger and faster they make computers, the more garbage they install to consume memory and drain system resources.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
get a barebones system on tigerdirect for under $400. get a inkjet printer to print your own labels and save on shipping. get a mail scale.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@X51 I plan to build a gaming rig with one of Intel's new chips. 6-12 months from now I should be able to get what I want now 30-50 percent cheaper without having to cut too many corners.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I avoid Seagate hard drives. With over two decades of building computers, Seagate was the only manufacturer I encountered that the hard drive died so badly that I was unable to recover ANY data.

I would also advise against Toshiba.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I would also advise against Toshiba.

I've become brand loyal to Western Digital. I've had my best results with them.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
@X51 I plan to build a gaming rig with one of Intel's new chips. 6-12 months from now I should be able to get what I want now 30-50 percent cheaper without having to cut too many corners.

A standard build does everything I need it to do, but I'm not a gamer. Good luck. It's always good to be ahead of the curve.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
get a barebones system on tigerdirect for under $400. get a inkjet printer to print your own labels and save on shipping. get a mail scale.

I use a bar code scanner at work. I talked them into getting me a Brother QL-500 label printer to print bar codes and labels as I need them. I have one at home. Now I get interrupted all day to print labels for other people. The brother label printer won't print color, but you don't have to buy ink. You just buy labels which are available in different sizes. It would be great for a retailer.
I want a bar code scanner for home, but I really don't need it unless I'm going to label all of my comics. That'd be expensive.

[Here's where I confess that I misread "barebones" as "bardcode" because I'm reading the screen out of the side of my peripheral vision and the heat has dried out my eyes. The answer still has merit. LOL]
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3
^^^ Agreed, for the price point, a desktop will almost always give you more for your money. That being said, they take up a lot more room compared to a laptop.

However, if the only thing you want to use it for is eBay listings, a laptop should more than suffice for that. Do you have a price range you're looking to spend? I could offer you a few suggestions in that range.

I'm pretty much open to price. Less than $500 would be nice, if possible.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

A standard build does everything I need it to do, but I'm not a gamer. Good luck. It's always good to be ahead of the curve.

I bought my current computer from Computer City when they were going out of business early in 2009. It already had 8 GB and a 500MB video card. A few years ago I added a new 3 TB hard drive and moved up from Vista to Windows 8.1.

The new build is more about longevity than it is about gaming. With that said the first three years every game on the market should run super fast.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I was squeezing life out of an XP system until this past year. I still liked it better. I jumped straight to Windows 10 at home.

I use Windows 7 at work since they scrutinize any patches and updates for years (sometimes) before they roll them out.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Wow guys thanks a lot!!! I have a Samsung galaxy note 5 and will probably use the ebay app for that. An iPhone would be nice tho! I'm mostly trying to add a little more back up and firepower to my comic selling experience. I'll also need to purchase an upgraded printer as well, but those are easier to sort thru.

Gotta say I've always entered a new endeavor full steam ahead. I've started new complex jobs in the past with little experience and have torn it up. This comic book selling jazz has me a bit intimidated. Probably one mistake was buying that huge Ebay for Dummies book. Should have taken my friends and family advice and just dove right in!!

I appreciate all the great responses here and will use this thread as the baseline for my search. Goal is to have it up and running within the next couple of months, end of Jan at the latest. I'll let you know what stuff I buy and progress towards the "Grand Opening"!!!😎

Thanks again, and happy gobble gobble gobble to all and families!

🦃🦃🍊🍌🍞🍲🍗🍗🍾🥂🍷
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Dalkiel private msg quote post Address this user
If you get a tower ,think about getting a second Hard Drive installed inside the tower to us as a back-up. Get an Imaging program too generate a Image of your C drive every couple of days. Very usful when your main drive gets jacked by some virus .
Post 30 IP   flag post
600626 40 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?