Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Has this happened to anyone?4865

Collector Mickcatron private msg quote post Address this user
So, I recently received a submission back from CBCS. Several of the books I sent in had minimum grade requirements and raw grade if they didn't hit the mark.

Two of the books didn't hit the grade, BUT when they were returned they weren't raw graded; however, grades were assigned to both of them.

Emailed customer service and got an immediate response that it was a mistake and to just return them on their dime. I actually was making a submission anyway so just put them in with the others and wasn't really worried about the shipping since I was sending in more anyway.

They quickly turned the books around and sent them back, which would seem great, but here's the problem; they dropped the graded of one book from a 9.6 to a 9.4. I never touched the books once I saw there was a problem, didn't take them out or anything, just contacted customer service, found out what to do and repackaged them (yes, securely). So if the book changed grade I feel like it was them not me, but I'm basically screwed because how can I prove I didn't handle the books improperly or something.

Really crappy situation.

Oh, and I did email them immediately after receiving the books back to try to get an explanation - <crickets> which is also a bit irritating when they were so quick to answer my other emails
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I had the same thing done with a comic i have.It really sucks when one grader has a different grade than others.My comic went from 9.4 to 9.0.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
Cbcs has got to get it together
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Did they charge you for the raw grade the first time you sent them in.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Homer - not sure what you mean.

When I got the shipping notification the first time, all the books were assigned grades, so I could see the 2 raw grades that missed the 9.8 I was hoping for, they both got 9.6. Those two arrived without the raw grade casing though. When I return them, one came back 9.4, and yes I can see both grades on my dashboard

Sorry you said CHARGE, not change.... yeah I was charged, that's why they took them back so quick.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. They screwed up, and fixed it quick.

You can expect that some books will drop in grade if graded and shipped twice. More chance of damage, and more chance of a grader finding another defect they could have missed the first time round
Post 6 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer - don't disagree with the possibilities you stated, but I know how I shipped them, and that's kinda my point - it is highly unlikely that shipping damage was caused - IMO.

Your second part just makes CBCS look bad if you ask me, which you didn't
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickcatron
@Homer - not sure what you mean.

When I got the shipping notification the first time, all the books were assigned grades, so I could see the 2 raw grades that missed the 9.8 I was hoping for, they both got 9.6. Those two arrived without the raw grade casing though. When I return them, one came back 9.4, and yes I can see both grades on my dashboard

Sorry you said CHARGE, not change.... yeah I was charged, that's why they took them back so quick.

Homer say D'oh
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
@shrewbeer - don't disagree with the possibilities you stated, but I know how I shipped them, and that's kinda my point - it is highly unlikely that shipping damage was caused - IMO.

Your second part just makes CBCS look bad if you ask me, which you didn't

If it was the latter, then your book is currently graded correctly and was previously not. 9.6 sucks anyways, gimme a 9.4 so I have a solid NM and don't have to feel like the first loser 😁🍺

Both companies miss stuff, which is why cracking out books for signatures is so nerve-racking. They might just find something they missed before 😳
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
If it was the latter, then your book is currently graded correctly and was previously not. 9.6 sucks anyways, gimme a 9.4 so I have a solid NM and don't have to feel like the first loser 😁🍺

😳[/quote

Ah, a totally different subject but one that I wish would correct itself, anything in the 9.x range should be considered a great book, but alas the masses have determined otherwise.
Post 10 IP   flag post
looks like I suck at using the quote function
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
looks like I suck at using the quote function

I get your point. I was more poking fun at myself than anything.

If I remember correctly, @Dpiercy Started a love 9.6 thread just because of the subject
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Grading is subjective...even within the same 3rd party grading company.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Drogio I realize that, but the fact is they already gave it a grade and then changed it because of their mistake not mine. Perhaps like Shrew said it never deserved a 9.6 in the first place (highly doubtful), but at this point there really isn't anything to do because I'm sure in their mind; who's to say I didn't send in a different copy of the book, trying to see what grade that one was for free.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Drogio I realize that, but the fact is they already gave it a grade and then changed it because of their mistake not mine. Perhaps like Shrew said it never deserved a 9.6 in the first place (highly doubtful), but at this point there really isn't anything to do because I'm sure in their mind; who's to say I didn't send in a different copy of the book, trying to see what grade that one was for free.

I think it is much more likely that the repackaging, along with two trips through the mail, is to blame for a slight drop on grade from 9.6 to 9.4, than a variance in grading of the book by CBCS.

This is one of the reasons why I have literally only subbed books once through the mail.

I save all of my books up to sub at comic conventions, in person, to CGC and CBCS.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
It ain't science.

At 2:20 AM when the bar is getting ready to close. A 5.0 can look like a 7.5 easily.

That's just being human.

There is no 9.5 It goes from 9.4 to 9.6, so there can EASILY be the finest of lines between the two grades. It could have went the other way. From a 9.4 to a 9.6

Again, it ain't science. It ain't even math. It is an opinion at that hour, on that day, by that person/s.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
@Mickcatron How did they ship the non graded /slabbed books back to you? securely in plastic etc? just wondering if it happened enroute to you..
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Johnnylray - you know, it was actually less than stellar tbh. Bagged and boarded but not sealed, between two pieces of cardboard, but inside one of the CBCS boxes with the other graded books. The bags still had the identifying stickers that they must use internally on them. The unsealed part was the part that I thought was a little less than what I would have expected. Now that being said I would hope they would have handled with care, and again the books "seemed" to be in the same condition as when I sent them, and inside the CBCS box should have provided more than adequate protection - you would think.
Post 19 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
the people from All Things Comics and KellySuperHeroes must be the ones grading that book first time around.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
the people from All Things Comics and KellySuperHeroes must be the ones grading that book first time around.

Don't forget - "Unrestored" from both those fine folks
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Makes me ponder the hub-bub surrounding the price point differences re 9.4 9.6 9.8 9.9 etc when there is no 9.7 9.5 9.3 etc that there is such huge price gyration variations on all those stratosphere prices which have spawned these past years.

If grade variations happen all sides of that Cert street depending on hour of the day, time of the month, mood of each grader at the moment of such conception, why do so many buyers put so much "trust" in to same when We The People see so much price fluctuations upwards?

Price Fluctuations which in reality can make so little sense?

Short answer: Part of the Tulip Mania Syndrome right before it crashed & burned. TM syndrome has happened many times over the ensuing centuries. Crowd herd mentality can turn on a dime in all the historically documented instances.

Chasing the elusive 9.8 is an aspect of 4th stage Tulip Mania

Makes me ask, where are all the 9.9 cert grades? Hardly ever seem to "see" any of that level. Why?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Makes me ponder the hub-bub surrounding the price point differences re 9.4 9.6 9.8 9.9 etc when there is no 9.7 9.5 9.3 etc that there is such huge price gyration variations on all those stratosphere prices which have spawned these past years.

If grade variations happen all sides of that Cert street depending on hour of the day, time of the month, mood of each grader at the moment of such conception, why do so many buyers put so much "trust" in to same when We The People see so much price fluctuations upwards?

Price Fluctuations which in reality can make so little sense?

Short answer: Part of the Tulip Mania Syndrome right before it crashed & burned. TM syndrome has happened many times over the ensuing centuries. Crowd herd mentality can turn on a dime in all the historically documented instances.

Chasing the elusive 9.8 is an aspect of 4th stage Tulip Mania

Makes me ask, where are all the 9.9 cert grades? Hardly ever seem to "see" any of that level. Why?

Bingo!!! the great scheme revealed!!
Post 23 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I guess the real questions is; Why the need to re-examine/re-grade a book that was so recently graded (by the same grading company)?

Did you request the book be re-graded? If not, why wouldn't they just raw grade the book with the assigned grade it had received the first time it was graded?
Post 24 IP   flag post
There is a (in)famous CGC case some years back in which a fellow sent in a book four different times using four different methods and received four different grades. I imagine one with interest in such mundane matters swept hidden under the collecting carpets can google suss out the details, but makes one stop and ponder WTF?
Post 25 IP   flag post
The "Greater Fool Theory" at it's finest.
Let me pay 10x the amount for a 9.8 than for a 9.6 - because yea.... that makes sense.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

I guess the real questions is; Why the need to re-examine/re-grade a book that was so recently graded (by the same grading company)?

Did you request the book be re-graded? If not, why wouldn't they just raw grade the book with the assigned grade it had received the first time it was graded?

Seriously? If CBCS hadn't regraded the book, they'd be a very poor company.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
The "Greater Fool Theory" at it's finest.
Let me pay 10x the amount for a 9.8 than for a 9.6 - because yea.... that makes sense.

My thought patterns have nil to zilch regarding the (re)grading of a 9.8 to a 9.6 etc etc etc., Gaard.

The 9 point four six eight crowd cries in their proverbial beer over and over when ascension to that peak eludes their submissions.

The hair splitting between these takes an electron microscope.

What I am rather peeved about was the constant bombardment for years by the "new school" seller powers that be that the magical mythical 9.8 attained the such pinnacle of multiples of "Guide" prices.

The shill manipulation hitting GPA is also some thing to be wary of but there are bigger fools being born almost daily who want to believe such gospel.
Post 28 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Seriously? If CBCS hadn't regraded the book, they'd be a very poor company.

yeah, I suppose that's true...i guess they have to.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
he 9 point four six eight crowd cries in their proverbial beer over and over when ascension to that peak eludes their submissions.

The hair splitting between these takes an electron microscope.

Gotta disagree with you here.

Some books (especially moderns)I dont want any easily visible defects. A 9.4 m, 9.2, can have a few color breaking spine tics; even seen 9.6s with one (cgc actually allows very tiny ones in 9.8). Same with corner bends etc.

I buy 9.8s online when I want a book to be as perfect as possible, and dont have the luxury of examining it in-hand.

Spoiled I suppose, but there really is a clear difference in 9.2-9.4-9.6-9.8
Post 30 IP   flag post
600698 57 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?