Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Where Is Wolverine? And What Is His Startlin4861

Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
For you X-Junkies out there, this press release just came through from Marvel...

The mystery deepens this January!

New York, NY—November 20, 2017—His return to the Marvel Universe was just the beginning, and the Infinity Stone he holds could change everything. Now, the questions begin: Why was he searching for the Infinity Stone? How did he escape his adamantium prison? Where is Wolverine, and what is he hiding?

The answers will begin to unravel in 2018, but fans will be able to catch glimpses of their favorite mutant in special after-credit scenes at the end of key Marvel titles. Appearing in select issues starting this January, some of Marvel’s most acclaimed artists will tease the whereabouts of the adamantium-clawed mutant with tantalizing teaser panels – and it’s all connected!

“Fans have been speculating about Wolverine’s whereabouts since he first reappeared in MARVEL LEGACY #1—and the Marvel Universe is left just as unaware!” teased SVP and Executive Editor Tom Brevoort. “So keep your eyes peeled as Canada’s favorite citizen makes his presence felt in titles all across the Marvel line! It’s all leading to something—but what?”

"Mystery has always been part of Wolverine's DNA,” added senior editor Mark Paniccia. “He's one of Marvel's most interesting and popular characters. Fans are going to have a helluva ride finding out where he's been and how he came back.”

Track Wolverine as he jumps around the Marvel Universe, starting with the following titles:

CAPTAIN AMERICA #697
On-Sale 1/3/18

MIGHTY THOR #703
On-Sale 1/17/18

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #794
On-Sale 1/24/18

And more to come!

What is Wolverine’s startling secret, and how will it impact the Marvel Universe? It’s up to you, True Believers, to find out!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Since retailers are getting their orders in for January books over the next few days, they may or may not see this... If people care, these books and, depending what happens in these few pages, there could be some demand for them. Just FYI!
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps he is in a parallel universe where comic book companies know that a well written story and good, solid art can sell comic books without having to rely on gimmicks.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Maybe!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Newsarama is calling this a "post-credits scene"... I don't agree. I call it annoying. A post-credits scene would be something related to the characters in some way, at least in a bigger way. I guess if, in six months, Cap, Thor, and Spidey are in an event related to the Stones, it makes sense, much like the post-credit scenes leading up to the Infinity Stones for the films, but this is going to be a bit frustrating for people who want to try and keep up with a recurring thread going on in the background. They should keep it contained to a series or a set of books - X-Books or Avengers-related titles or something. For Avengers-related, it would make sense to put it in Avengers, Cap, Iron-Man, for example. Of course, I'd still be annoyed having to pick up all of them.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I don't want to have to pick up random issues of titles I don't read to get the story. Nice try Marvel.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder if marvel will actually ever just have great stories again that don’t rely on the revolving door of death and gigantic multiple title spanning events. Doubtful.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahSult
I wonder if marvel will actually ever just have great stories again that don’t rely on the revolving door of death and gigantic multiple title spanning events. Doubtful.

I was thinking about this today... We look back to Marvel history and some of the GREAT story arcs from back when. It's not nostalgia that draws us back to them - it's great writing and artwork. It's also containing them within a reasonable number of issues. Don't "fatigue" the readers by making them chase too many titles across a lot of book families and for so many months that people just don't care.

The same things that make us read (or did read) books with the same creative teams month after months made us pick up the mini-series or cross-overs or events. Even if there were multiple artists and/or writers involved, there was cohesion and editorial control.

I bring up X-Titles, because I know them the best, but if we take the thread after Secret Wars II, which became a who cares after Secret Wars I, we had Mutant Massacre - Brilliant, though it didn't need every crossover, I'm sure. But, every one after that got bigger, and every book couldn't keep up with the strength in individual issues.

Fall of the Mutants, Inferno, X-Tinction Agenda, X-Cutioner's Song, Fatal Attractions / Bloodties, Phalanx Covenant, Legion Quest, Age of Apocalypse, Onslaught... There were some great stories in there, but a lot of dunnage (waste).

I don't know when the term "event fatigue" was brought in, but, come on, the ones I listed were just X-Men crossovers from '86-'96! Yikes!

If Marvel had only released half of those (or trimmed the fat on others) and great, focused stories in between, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Chris Claremont - where are you?!?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Which infinity gem is he holding? Do we know? I haven't kept up with where they all are...lost interest after infinity gauntlet (which was a nicely contained arc that only touched a few titles, btw).
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Which infinity gem is he holding? Do we know? I haven't kept up with where they all are...lost interest after infinity gauntlet (which was a nicely contained arc that only touched a few titles, btw).

The colors have all been redefined... don't know if they will align with the films, or what. They're not "gems" now either, they're "stones" to align with the films, too.

And @Stu, I don't know if Claremont could really help now! We need his skill set from the 80's aligned with touches of the magic writers who have followed him since, even if those writers have lost their footing since.

I'd bet Claremont's advice now would be - don't do events!!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
IDK, I've never been a huge fan of Wolverine so I'm definitely not going to go chasing after titles I'm not interested in for teasers to the next big event that does absolutely nothing. That said Jean Grey is coming back too and it might be interesting to see where they go without Cyclops around...
Post 12 IP   flag post
598060 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?