Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Comic Connect users come on in.4851

Collector shiftins6 private msg quote post Address this user
I have purchased a handful of books over the past year or two and have been happy all around. My past purchase however has me a little upset. It was a raw book that had a defect not mentioned in the description. Of course I would have seen this defect if the seller had included a scan of the back of the comic. You would think that it would be mandatory for both scan of the front and back for raw books but 90% of the books I come across have just the front. I'm now a little trigger shy on books without a back scan. Does anyone know why this is not a requirement? I have searched the FAQ for an answer but there was none to find. E-mailing them in the past has not gotten me a response so maybe a phone call will do the trick...????
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't believe they typically offer a back cover scan on books less than $500
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
You get a week to return the books. I would make a point of inspecting any raw books for damage as soon as they arrive. While I believe that Comic Connect is good at grading they do not always have consignment books in hand and some sellers manage to push some duds through their auctions.

If you can return the duds you end up with some very nice books in the end.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm thinking of just listing it on ebay and eat any loss I get. It may in fact grade at what was advertised but I wouldn't have put an offer on the book with the defect in question if i'd have known it existed. Let me get some scans and pictures of the book and yo all can tell me what you think the grade should be.
Post 4 IP   flag post

Post 5 IP   flag post

Post 6 IP   flag post

Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm pretty sure i would be sending that one back
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah I'd send it back if it was me
Post 9 IP   flag post
Just put a call in and left a message. Maybe i'm crazy but I wouldn't put this book at 7.5 even if I was drunk and blind.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Another potential check mark.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
Send it back, you are going to get hosed on eBay.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I always felt there are two reasons for not including a back scan;

#1 Most are simply to lazy

#2 The backs (especially White covers) can often reveal more about a books condition than can been seen from a front scan alone.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
IMO, that book is a 5.0 at best.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
IMO, that book is a 5.0 at best.

and I think you'd have to get a grader on an off day to get that...I'm thinking 4.0. I would pass on this book unless it was given to me free..and then it'd be a reader copy only...
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector PurpleZeke private msg quote post Address this user
Curious, what grade did the seller advertise the book in? Though I do agree that the damage on the back looks bad, was it listed with a grade and/or was the grade close to the sellers description? I normally list comics with a front and back cover image when selling, though at times if listing in bulk (lower priced moderns/copper) will list with stock photo of both front and back cover of said books!
Post 16 IP   flag post
It was advertised as a 7.5
Post 17 IP   flag post
you will unlikely sell it as that, better send it back
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Was this graded by comic connect, or was it graded by a consigner to comic connect.
Post 19 IP   flag post

Post 20 IP   flag post
ouch
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'll never buy another raw comic from them that doesn't have front and back scans.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Was this graded by comic connect, or was it graded by a consigner to comic connect.
The only way to know is to call Comic Connect and ask them. I have bought many books from them and usually the problem books seem to be coming from the consigners.
Post 23 IP   flag post
It was on consignment. I called and they said I could return the book. Now to find something else.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftins6

Metropolis either approved of the consignors grade of the 7.5, or it is there grade from the beginning, as its there label you have pictured with the 7.5 grade. Glad they are accepting the return.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I buy from comicconnect all the time. But I avoid the raws. Like your experience, they over grade them in the description. Buying slabs has been smooth for me.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Well the comic is on its way back and i've spent hours looking thru comic connect and learned something very important. Read the description in the title very carefully if bidding on a raw book. I see many books noted value stamp clipped or missing and the book still getting a VF grade. Maybe I will start bidding on slabs.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@shiftins6 thanks for the heads up, missing a stamp is a serious defect.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Typical book for sale. Ad says stain b/c but there is no scan of the back. It burns me that tthe flaw that probably most defines the grade is not shown. Who would actually bid on this?

Post 29 IP   flag post
Just to finish off this thread... my money has been refunded without any problems. And now what to do with all this extra cash.
Post 30 IP   flag post
596791 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?