Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

Frank Frazetta channelling Hal Foster4850

Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
This story remains one of my fave Frank Frazetta tales which appeared in Happy Comics #33 1949 published by Nedor Standard. I scored my first copy at Ace Magazine Exchange here in Fremont back circa 1966 age 14 for a nickel. "Ace" sold magazines, PB, comics at a nickel each, paid 2 cents and traded two for one.

"Ace" was a World War Two vet in a wheelchair with both legs blown off at the knees. What he operated in the back behind a curtain was a seemingly 24/7 poker game akin to scene in Legend of Bagger Vance when the little boy goes to the Matt Damon character's house to ask him to play in the golf game.

He had gotten in a dozen 1949 comics - first 40s stuff I ever saw in all their original "raw" glory - and I had for the first time opened that curtain, discovered all these other battered Vets playing poker being "busy"

I asked "Ace" (not his real name, i think he had been a fighter pilot in the Pacific) if these were eligible for two for one trading. He replied, "No - those are older ones" and he wanted a nickel each cash.

There was also a Marvel Mystery #92 (my very first Timely)with its origin of Torch re-told, a Donald Duck Color 223 Carl Barks' masterpiece Lost in the Andes, a Walt Kelly Brownies four color, a Bugs Bunny Color 217 and others I do not recall right this sec.

Heading home on my bike with my treasures in a bag strapped to my back I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Damn, I finally had some comics from the 40s thinking it just doesn't get any better than this!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Love it!
Post 2 IP   flag post

Post 3 IP   flag post

Post 4 IP   flag post
598059 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?