Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch Covers

Sketch Definition4847

I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
One day I do hope all grading companies choose different words for the varying degrees of "sketch" on yellow labels. I don't want to get into a wordsmithing discussion here, but I just don't see how one of these is a "sketch" on a yellow label and the other is also a "sketch" on a yellow label.
Can we at least establish a criteria of "must spend more than 5 seconds on the art in order to be considered a "sketch"? Maybe it's a "doodle"?

Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Usually a small quickly drawn sketch or doodle is referred to as a remark on the label.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Simon Bisley, love his art!
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Usually a small quickly drawn sketch or doodle is referred to as a remark on the label.

Wot he said.

Not a sketch.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with everyone.
However......
That little doodle, was labeled as a "sketch"
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I agree with everyone.
However......
That little doodle, was labeled as a "sketch"

That someone shouldnt be labeling books then. Not smart.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
I can agree with the following parameters...to start us off on the criteria....here are my thoughts.

Sketch = larger than 2" in size and done by an artist or writer, because many writers draw, but prefer writing,
- I have a VSP "ART" sketch of Neil Gaiman, whom is primarily a writer
- but I also have a sketch by Dave McKean (ungraded), whom is an artist

Doodle = less than 2" in size and is some sort of mark or character drawing, that is also near or next to a signature, a signed endearment, or a greeting....AND...done by the artist or writer.
- I have a Rusty and the Giant Robot oversized comics that Geof Darrow signed, but also includes a doodle of himself.
- Here is a doodle by Todd McFarlane

Agree or disagree?
Cheers!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Very cool. That mcfarlane doodle is terrible. Gross.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Very cool. That mcfarlane doodle is terrible. Gross.

hehehe.....it is a bit "clunky", but when asked him for a doodle, I wasn't expecting it to be as large.

BUT....I think this may be only one of the 300 he may have done this too, so it is a one of a kind....and a McFarlane drawing.

IMO - it is still a pretty cool piece.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@ZosoRocks agreed, well done đŸș

Fir a doodle, the Mc isnt so bad. Not nearly as bad as a Stan 2-y/o doodle
Post 10 IP   flag post
*chuckles*

Believe it or not,..I have NO SL sigs.

There are just so many out there, and IMO -flooded the market....and at $100.00....there is still a whole lot.

Hmmm...will I ever own one by him...probably not...

Not a big fan for what he did to Kirby.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I have none either.

I was referencing the doodle though loool people pay a LOT for them all over ebay for 8-15k 😬

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F182257495230
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
It’s defined the the person submitting the book. When it was submitted the person wrote”signed and sketched by” then that’s what’s on the label. If they put “signed and remarked by” then that’s what the label will say
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@obiwan1971 I know for a fact that is not true 100% of the time. When you submit a signed book, there isn't a space for you to put "sketched by," or "remarked by" so most books are submitted without a definition provided by the submitter.

I also submitted the following book with a note written on the invoice, "remarked by Joe Rubinstein" and it was still noted as a sketch on the label

Post 14 IP   flag post
600891 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?