Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector kelledon private msg quote post Address this user
New to the forums here and had a few questions.
I just got iron Man issue 1,2,3 And silver surfer #1. All around 7.0 or higher.
My question is what company is the best? CGC prices are very high but the turn around time is short. They told me about 8 week for all 4 books.

I come here because the prices are much better but I see tons of issues with people waiting 25 weeks for a grade. That is insain.

So in your opinion who is the best and most reliable company to use?
Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I love this place and the people who post here.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector shiftins6 private msg quote post Address this user
I believe you've answered your own question already.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'd rather use a smaller company but I can't wait 25+ weeks.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Are you planning to sell them? If yes, go cgc. If you just want them graded for your collection, then cbcs.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
You're on the cbcs message board. Let's keep that in mind.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelledon
I'd rather use a smaller company but I can't wait 25+ weeks.

You don't have to wait 25+ weeks with CBCS, if the books are submitted under the right tier.

It is nowhere near that long.

My advice , if the books have not been pressed, is to sub them to CBCS or CCS ...or CFPComics , who is a CGC & CBCS Authorized Dealer...to be pressed, before grading.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I've been told that CGC has a 3 week turnaround time lately, CBCS I've had a book in grading since August and it doesn't look to be completed anytime soon (it took me 2 months in order to get them to charge me for the slabbing and grading). CCS pressing services aren't worth it as they have F'ed up some of my books, last time I used CFP to press also took them a ginormous amount of time to get it pressed but Joey's service is definitely top notch I can also recommend Josh Avery from Avery Pressing Services. I rely on CBCS good grading skills since CGC's grades are all over the place. Tough decision to make.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
New to the forums here and had a few questions.
I just got iron Man issue 1,2,3 And silver surfer #1. All around 7.0 or higher.
My question is what company is the best? CGC prices are very high but the turn around time is short. They told me about 8 week for all 4 books.

I come here because the prices are much better but I see tons of issues with people waiting 25 weeks for a grade. That is insain.

So in your opinion who is the best and most reliable company to use?

It depends on what you're going to do with books once they're slabbed. CGC is expensive (but good for the seller). CBCS is cheaper (may take long to slab) and better for the buyer. CBCS is more honest where CGC is not. CGC charges for grader notes. CBCS does not. For me, I go with CBCS.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Another thing you may want to consider is paying for a membership from 1 of the companies. Look over what both have to offer and see whats best for you.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@kelledon First of all, welcome to the forum!! Second of all, I love your book choices and nice grades! Third of all, if you have any concerns with turn-time CGC is your safest option (the standard) but I think CBCS has been getting back on schedule lately(Post-Irma, Post-SDCC). Both CBCS & CGC have nice slabs, and CGC generally sells higher if you want to resell them soon. CBCS is under a merger right now and may feature improved services in the very near future, if you are willing to wait. Honestly, you should be fine with either one. If you want to save money up front, go CBCS. If you want the potential for a slightly higher resale value, go CGC.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I don't plan on selling these. Been tracking these books for about 5 years and finally got a good price of them.

After they are slabbed and graded I'm going to custom frame them behind Museum glass for my office to go next to my iron Man statue's
I just don't like the idea of waiting MONTHS for my books to come back freaks me out no matter what company. I did a lot of research on this company before posting here and I like the message and ideas behind it. Makes for a good business. Only issue I have is turn around time. If they could press and get back to me in a month I'd toss money at them right now lol
Post 12 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
One question - how comfortable are you with newton rings? If you hate them, like I do, the choice is clear!! If you're comfortable with them, both companies have merit. Honestly, you waited HOW LONG to find them? Is time REALLY that big an issue here?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@kelledon....Let me think. You have posted on the CBCS company forum asking which company would be the best to send books to for grading. What answer were you actually expecting??

If you like professionally graded and encapsulated comics, you should just expect some significant wait time. CGC is faster right now. However, if you intend to use the in-house pressing services of either company, the Turn Around Times (TAT)are actually much closer between the two companies. Because sent in on the least expensive tiers, TAT for pressing at CCS (the in house service of CGC) is several months.

If length of time is really important to you, I suggest you choose faster service tiers. Especially at the pressing stage.

My own guidelines - which I'll deviate from if I want to - are based on what I plan to do with the books. If they are for my collection, what difference does a few months make? My books are probably safer in the grading company's vault than they are with me. If the books are going to be sold -- well --- time is money. Sooner I get them back, the sooner I can sell them.

They could easily be done in a month or less - with either company. Just pay the price for expedited services. Heck, you could probably have them back in a couple of weeks. As they say in auto racing - Speed costs money. How fast can you AFFORD to go?

Welcome to the boards!
Post 14 IP   flag post

Post 15 IP   flag post
I realize that most people don't believe that your turn around times shouldn't be a factor..... yet there is a stickied thread that sits atop these forums for the sole purpose of discussing current TATs. So IMO. if you're going to be one of those people that end up complaining in that thread every week, this is not the company for you.
Post 16 IP   flag post
is Quickstream service really 2 weeks or can this one go up to 25weeks ?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
@kelledon if these are for your personal collection not to be resold, and you need them graded by a reputable 3rd party, then cbcs is the answer. I find the cgc case to have a slight tinge to the plastic, making any whiteness apear slightly off white (undesirable for displaying). Add the potential for Newton rings and its a no brainier. Given the age of the comics, I highly recommend a press for each by either cbcs or cfp (I can attest cfp is top notch and tats are consistently 6-8 weeks). If time is important, then pay for the expedited service you can afford, and don't look back (it's just money...and is the price difference that much more than cgc after you add fast pass?)

Now, having said that, do you "need" these graded by cgc or cbcs? Do you EVER want to handle them again? Comicskins.com offer comparable cases along with wall mount (extra) that you can also add your own custome label either by them (extra) or yourself. This would be a fraction of the cost and likely look just as nice. I'm considering this option myself for comics I know are 9.6/9.8 and don't need someone else to tell me as I'll likely never sell them...but would like to display them. Check comic skins out before deciding, if this is an option and time/money is a deciding factor to you.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Well time is issue because i need to get a custom frame made. My wife wanted my office completed 2 months ago

Also i would like them graded. That way i know their worth.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Tried to run some numbers as I'm curious...

Assuming your Iron Man and Silver Surfer 1 are 7.0 or better (fmv greater than $400) you're looking at two different tiers (2 separate return shipping charges of approx $24) for a total of $224 (cbcs) Fast pass will be $20 more, but at that point why not upgrade everything to quick stream for $32 net and have it sent back together ($256 total).

Cgc on the other hand, i believe would run about $248 before any upgrades on speed (assuming the $8 handling fee is per tier and similar shipping charges).

I dunno, check my numbers but it seems like cbcs with quick stream is a no brainier here for what I believe is a $8 difference and you might get them much faster than you would throug cgc.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
I don't plan on selling these. Been tracking these books for about 5 years and finally got a good price of them.

After they are slabbed and graded I'm going to custom frame them behind Museum glass for my office to go next to my iron Man statue's
I just don't like the idea of waiting MONTHS for my books to come back freaks me out no matter what company. I did a lot of research on this company before posting here and I like the message and ideas behind it. Makes for a good business. Only issue I have is turn around time. If they could press and get back to me in a month I'd toss money at them right now lol

Last time I subbed a silver age book ro CBCS, was at a show, on a Sunday.

Just under 2 weeks after subbing my book to CBCS, the slab was delivered to my home via Fed Ex.

The grading fee, which included quick stream, was around $40, with my CBCS discount.

Shipping and invoice fees all in, it ran me under $60 to have a silver age book graded, slabbed...and in my hands within 2 weeks of subbing it to CBCS's booth.

That is pretty damn good.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Tried to run some numbers as I'm curious...

Assuming your Iron Man and Silver Surfer 1 are 7.0 or better (fmv greater than $400) you're looking at two different tiers (2 separate return shipping charges of approx $24) for a total of $224 (cbcs) Fast pass will be $20 more, but at that point why not upgrade everything to quick stream for $32 net and have it sent back together ($256 total).

Cgc on the other hand, i believe would run about $248 before any upgrades on speed (assuming the $8 handling fee is per tier and similar shipping charges).

I dunno, check my numbers but it seems like cbcs with quick stream is a no brainier here for what I believe is a $8 difference and you might get them much faster than you would throug cgc.

The 2 services you described, between CBCS and CGC.....will cost approximately the same, with approximately the same TAT.

I use both CBCS and CGC to grade my books.

I personally dislike the constant belittling of CGC's (and CBCS's) grading....the conjecture of CBCS's supposedly lower resale value, CGC's supposed lack of honesty....etc etc.

The slamming of both companies, happens on both boards, it is tiresome.

That said, I think Iron Man posted up the best advice in this thread.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@SpiderTim There's no way CGC has a 3 week turnaround... That must have been fast track. I have some friends who exclusively use CGC, and the only way they get that service is fast track. I have some books that were just delivered to my house that were sent to CGC, regular service, late July, and I didn't get them for about three and a half months. CBCS had part delays (now resolved), weather delays (CGC had, too), which were compounded by a busy convention season, particularly SDCC. Those lead times are being crunched down quickly...

Fast tracks should be about the same now. I'm sure CGC is chewing through their backlog of books quicker, because they have a larger staff, but, once caught up, lead time will be quicker at CBCS, as will customer service.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Does this company offer pressing? and if so how much does it cost?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
@SpiderTim There's no way CGC has a 3 week turnaround... That must have been fast track. I have some friends who exclusively use CGC, and the only way they get that service is fast track. I have some books that were just delivered to my house that were sent to CGC, regular service, late July, and I didn't get them for about three and a half months. CBCS had part delays (now resolved), weather delays (CGC had, too), which were compounded by a busy convention season, particularly SDCC. Those lead times are being crunched down quickly...

Fast tracks should be about the same now. I'm sure CGC is chewing through their backlog of books quicker, because they have a larger staff, but, once caught up, lead time will be quicker at CBCS, as will customer service.

Could you explain what tier you sent books to CGC under, they do not have a tier called "regular service", Did you submit under value, modern, standard, economy, etc. That would help clarify turn around times. Also did you send books for pressing before grading.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Quote:
@SpiderTim There's no way CGC has a 3 week turnaround... That must have been fast track. I have some friends who exclusively use CGC, and the only way they get that service is fast track. [snip]

Could you explain what tier you sent books to CGC under, they do not have a tier called "regular service", Did you submit under value, modern, standard, economy, etc. That would help clarify turn around times. Also did you send books for pressing before grading.

I also think three weeks is not realistic.

I like both companies (for different reasons). I submitted some comics to CGC at HeroesCon, June 15th. This was the "value" tier, with pressing added. (Some others without pressing were delivered to me on August 11th, so under two months.) These books were invoiced on June 28th (whatever that means), went to grading (from in-house pressing) on Sept 7th, and they look to be (finally) in the final stage of grading now. Hopefully just another week or two.

So, during the busy convention season, it was just under three months for invoicing and pressing, and looks to be two-and-a-half months for grading.

As an aside, I think both companies should really focus on reducing these times. I think they would grow their market by doing so. Because many people will wait to get comics back before sending more. (Even if only to some degree ... some might be comfortable with 2-3 orders outstanding, but no more, while others with 5-6, etc. Regardless, at all levels I think people will send in the next order faster with the faster returns.) Faster grading and encapsulation is probably the simplest path to increasing overall demand for this service.
Post 26 IP   flag post
If CGC or this company said that I'll get my books back in 4 weeks i;d probably send 40 to 50 books. but sending 40 to 50 books at either company would take around 3 years lol
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
If CGC or this company said that I'll get my books back in 4 weeks i;d probably send 40 to 50 books. but sending 40 to 50 books at either company would take around 3 years lol

"I'll get my books back" Isn't a specified service either grading company offers.

Could you please explain what tier your books would be submitted under. That will go a long ways towards answering your question about turn around times. Also mention if your submitting books for pressing before grading.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Quote:
@SpiderTim There's no way CGC has a 3 week turnaround... That must have been fast track. I have some friends who exclusively use CGC, and the only way they get that service is fast track. [snip]

I also think three weeks is not realistic.

I like both companies (for different reasons). I submitted some comics to CGC at HeroesCon, June 15th. This was the "value" tier, with pressing added. (Some others without pressing were delivered to me on August 11th, so under two months.) These books were invoiced on June 28th (whatever that means), went to grading (from in-house pressing) on Sept 7th, and they look to be (finally) in the final stage of grading now. Hopefully just another week or two.

So, during the busy convention season, it was just under three months for invoicing and pressing, and looks to be two-and-a-half months for grading.

As an aside, I think both companies should really focus on reducing these times. I think they would grow their market by doing so. Because many people will wait to get comics back before sending more. (Even if only to some degree ... some might be comfortable with 2-3 orders outstanding, but no more, while others with 5-6, etc. Regardless, at all levels I think people will send in the next order faster with the faster returns.) Faster grading and encapsulation is probably the simplest path to increasing overall demand for this service.

I was told by a friend who recently submitted a batch to both companies that that is what they took at CGC I really didn't ask which tier or if fast passed since I am exclusively using CBCS because I rather wait and get a proper grading on my books.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Does cbcs have a contact phone number to call them?
Post 30 IP   flag post
597877 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?