Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Bendis moving over to DC - Thoughts?4758

Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
What do you guys think of the news that Bendis is moving over to DC? Not a hoax... tweeted by DC, confirmed by Bendis.

https://www.newsarama.com/37241-brian-michael-bendis-signs-dc-exclusive.html
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Marvel is seriously going to miss Bendis. I am very curious about which characters or teams he will work on.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@drchaos I'm guessing this has been in talks for quite a while, so it will probably be another of the "creator-owned" books coming out of Dark Nights, so he'll have a little bit of a slice of the pie. Challengers of the Unknown I think is Snyder and Kubert and that's the only one not announced yet, so it must be something new new... Or, he'll start by taking over an existing book OR do his thing and bring a 2nd or 3rd tier character to prominence again. This could be just what he needs to refresh a bit after years at Marvel. I do like him as a writer, but I think he needs to step away from events for a while and focus on what he does best - character-driven work. I'm talking Ultimate Spider-Man type work... There's a reason that book lasted for SOOOO long. It was damned good! His run on Daredevil was amazing, too. We just need to see what happens. I'm just curious at this point.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Ginosdad private msg quote post Address this user
Would love to see him do The Question
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
Time for him to go to another company and repeat the same stories for a decade I suppose
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldn't mind seeing him bring some Jessica Jones flair to a Birds of Prey title
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
ZzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzz...snore...Zzzzzzzzzz
Post 7 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Would like to see him do something with an under-used character like Booster Gold.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
That's about as exciting as pouring a water bottle on the ground during a rainstorm.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
That's about as exciting as pouring a water bottle on the ground during a rainstorm.

That sounds like a blast!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

That sounds like a blast!

Not a fan of modern comics. Nothing about his work excites me. When is he going back to Caliber?

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Would like to see him do something with an under-used character like Booster Gold.

Agreed. Would like to see him challenge himself and try something different...see wher it goes. Was a huge fan of his daredevil run.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Lunarshade private msg quote post Address this user
Does Marvel know writing is an important job to a comic BOOK! Just look at the shiny covers I guess.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarshade
Does Marvel know writing is an important job to a comic BOOK! Just look at the shiny covers I guess.

Time posted this article last week about money in comics and was describing the role of a writer... They were using this OLD site to give an idea of a writer does - plotting and dialogue - to show how much they make in the industry. The person who wrote the article must REALLY not understand comics and the process. I don't know how few writers use the very rough "Stan" approach to scripting (when he was writing at his peak at Marvel), which is even crazier than a Marvel Scripting Style, but most don't do that... Most writers actually write scripts - pages, panels, and dialogue.

I know your comment was a joke, but it reminded me of the article. I think that artists cringe a little when they read a Bendis script, knowing they need to try and draw the right number of panels to try and consider the dialogue to be fit (which will cover up some of the art) OR, if he writes "Marvel style" (adds dialogue after the art), the letterers cringe at trying to creatively fit everything without obscuring the art.

:P
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarshade

Time posted this article last week about money in comics and was describing the role of a writer... They were using this OLD site to give an idea of a writer does - plotting and dialogue - to show how much they make in the industry. The person who wrote the article must REALLY not understand comics and the process. I don't know how few writers use the very rough "Stan" approach to scripting (when he was writing at his peak at Marvel), which is even crazier than a Marvel Scripting Style, but most don't do that... Most writers actually write scripts - pages, panels, and dialogue.

I know your comment was a joke, but it reminded me of the article. I think that artists cringe a little when they read a Bendis script, knowing they need to try and draw the right number of panels to try and consider the dialogue to be fit (which will cover up some of the art) OR, if he writes "Marvel style" (adds dialogue after the art), the letterers cringe at trying to creatively fit everything without obscuring the art.

:P

That's what editors are supposed to sort out. I read an interview with Liefeld and his feeling was that editors work for him instead of the other way around. I conversed with an artist who was proud of the fact that he'd ignored a writer's instructions. Most of the modern artists out there either need to be trained or fired. They pretty much do what they want and ruin the good story ideas that are out there. I listened to one artist tell a story about refusing to work on a Punisher story because it was going to have the Punisher locked up in jail. The artist would have to draw the Punisher in orange prison garb. He refused. He only wanted to draw the Punisher in his classic outfit. I think he was more interested in the resale value of his art on the secondary market.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
That's what editors are supposed to sort out. I read an interview with Liefeld and his feeling was that editors work for him instead of the other way around. I conversed with an artist who was proud of the fact that he'd ignored a writer's instructions. Most of the modern artists out there either need to be trained or fired. They pretty much do what they want and ruin the good story ideas that are out there. I listened to one artist tell a story about refusing to work on a Punisher story because it was going to have the Punisher locked up in jail. The artist would have to draw the Punisher in orange prison garb. He refused. He only wanted to draw the Punisher in his classic outfit. I think he was more interested in the resale value of his art on the secondary market.

The secondary market... You're probably right! How sad! There are other ways to integrate the trademark Punisher into the pages without the outfit. Blood trails, shadows, smoke, etc... As a writer, I'd think of the artist, and sneak a few of those in there. As an artist, if they were missing, I might suggest at least a few places to sneak them. NOT for the secondary market, but because... it's the Punisher. It's nice to have a good Punisher issue without the iconic suit, though!

On the Liefeld discussion, it's actually a biproduct of the 90's, when artists became the industry rock stars of the time. They were able to call the shots to a degree never seen before, kicking the collaborative norm to the curb, and the historical editorial direction of books to the wayside as well. Instead, we had artists telling the people up top what they wanted to do and, because their names were drawing in the numbers, they held a lot of sway... Things that would have received firm no's or HELL NO's before that time were ok'd...

Then... Image. A lot of those artists learned a hell of a lot through running their own companies - successes and failures. Amazing experiences for them and a lot of growth very quickly. They called the shots, sure, but they also learned along the way that they needed help, brought in the right kind of talent, and cultivated their own in-house.

Maybe some never learned those lessons about the value of writers - the true beauty of the symbiotic relationship of the medium - an editor's role to elevate a book, and that an artist can't be the end-all-be-all in every situation. There are some exceptions... Some writer/artists that are great at doing both, but if you are an artist who needs a writer, a script, you need to learn the value of the writer and not undervalue them.

For me, I don't mind artists playing around with scripts - there's give and take. I usually chat with them about it and let them know what I'm trying to do and I spell out where certain things are REALLY important, and if I need something changed, I'll pester them. If they feel strongly, too, we discuss. Perspectives, looks, whatever... It's all about that symbiosis. I trust that they know what they're doing and I hope they think the same of me.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
If you notice, the statement from DC says "multi-year multi-faceted".
What that means is not only comic books but also a seat next to Geoff Johns at the DCEU table. This is similar to his role on Marvel's creative committee before the whole Disney/Perlmutter shakeup.

That's got to be rather enticing to him to once again have a hand in the film side of the business as well as whatever title(s) he'll be working on.

Apparently, this is also giving Jonathan Hickman an extra nudge to take that offer that DC also offered to him....
Post 17 IP   flag post
598062 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?