Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeGrading Help NeededPop Culture

Grade estimate? Underdog #1 on e-bay4745

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
As I mentioned in the WTB Thread, I'm looking for an 8.0 or better Underdog #1 (Charlton).

This one has been sitting on e-bay for weeks. The top & bottom left are slightly blunted, the cover has scuffing & the bottom edge on the back has tiny bits of edge wear.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263170646075

Looking at the pics, where do you think the grade would fall?

Thanks for your help, guys!
Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
7.0 to 8.0
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
bottom right corner crease on front cover, scuffs/discoloration
7 - 8 maybe
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I think it would fall in between VG/FN (5.0) due to the scuffing on the cover especially on Underdog's ear in the thought bubble and the phone booth. There is also some discoloration the "Underdog" title and the "Free Mini-Poster" ribbon. Maybe due to water damage?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector shiftins6 private msg quote post Address this user
There are for sure some questionable defects. I wish the description told more than "comes bagged and boarded"
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
either way seem to be right on par with pricepoints if you include your shipping cost

here's the previous sales data on gocollect:

Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks, guys. i think I'll see if he's negotiable, & if not, I'll hold out for a more solid copy.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like a pretty nice, solid copy. I'm like most of the others here, probably no worse than a 7.0. The spine and corners look good. There may be a bend or a moisture stain at the top left corner of the back cover. If so that will hold the book to no better than an 8.0 with those scuffs on the front cover too.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Interior looks very white. you could consider marrying it with a better cover.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Interior looks very white. you could consider marrying it with a better cover.

Not sure if you're serious about this. Unless the OP is fine with lowering the value of two books to a fraction of what they're worth it doesn't seem like a good idea. Is this book rare?
Post 10 IP   flag post
I wouldn't call it rare. A little hard-to-find in high grade.

Yeah, marrying it to another book would only be a viable option if it were currently coverless, imo.
Post 11 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim I Kew I had one of these. Picture from my photobucket sorry a little out of focus and not in best lught, but if I recall it is in nice shape. I would have to find it in collection to tame another pic. But I think mine is pretty nice. I think it was part of a small collection I bought years ago.

Post 12 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 That does look like a nice copy. A little discoloration on the spine, but still.

if you find it & you find the condition is solid, PM me if you'd be willing to part with it. 👍🏼
Post 13 IP   flag post
In the meantime, the seller on e-bay contacted me & said the issues on the cover are printing errors & not scuffing.

While printing errors are typically graded less harshly than damage through handling, my gut tells me those defects are not printing errors.

He provided these pics.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/underdog-1-charlton-1970-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/121542-13674.s

I think the seller may be right.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
In the meantime, the seller on e-bay contacted me & said the issues on the cover are printing errors & not scuffing.

While printing errors are typically graded less harshly than damage through handling, my gut tells me those defects are not printing errors.

He provided these pics.

will do. I'll be in collection this week if I find it it's yours. The spine isn't as discolored as it might appear. The lighting was poor. If I find it it's yours. I don't really collect that era of comics anyhow.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Much appreciated. If/when you find it, just let me know what you'd like for it.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Much appreciated. If/when you find it, just let me know what you'd like for it.
m
I'll try and get out there today and look for it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Well, someone snagged the one on e-bay. The hunt continues (if @earthshaker01 doesn't find his, that is).

No pressure, bro. I appreciate you going through the trouble.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Well, someone snagged the one on e-bay. The hunt continues (if @earthshaker01 doesn't find his, that is).

No pressure, bro. I appreciate you going through the trouble.

PM your address
Post 20 IP   flag post
@00slim do you have a copy already and just looking to upgrade?
Post 21 IP   flag post
No, I don't have a copy already.
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like a reasonable price for a pretty nice copy, go for it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@00slim I don't think those were printing errors as the picture I posted doesn't have the defects.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Agreed. 👍🏼
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
You are talking about Charlton. They published their comics on a printing press made for printing cereal boxes. They bought their own printing presses in the 1950's and kept using them up until the early 80's. I am quite sure those are NORMAL printing defects from Charlton.

Charlton was so bad that even in the 1950's when EC had them print Impact #1, William Gaines saw the poor quality & had the first printings recalled. Inconsistency is the only consistent thing about Charlton's quality. They couldn't even trim comics well. You'd get brand new comics with jagged edges.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@X51 @00slim they sure had some of the childhood oddball titles I grew up with.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@00slim dug out the #1 and found 2 #2s and a #6, funny I know every comic I have as long as it's a #1 or #nn Mentally I don't store other books that I have, but as soon as I saw the 2s and the #6 I was like oh yeah I have those to, lol.
Oh yea the #1 doesn't have that browning as pictured. Like said the pic I posted was terrible quality. Looks better.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Awesome. Could you PM your asking price for #1 & 2 along with your PayPal address?

I'll send payment later this evening. 👍🏼🙂
Post 29 IP   flag post
@00slim the #1 looks nice but has enough smaller things to keep up from grading higher than maybe a 7.0 7.5. One of the #2's looks nice. I think a press and dry clean would put them a little higher. I won't be home tonight, in training for the next day out of town. But don't worry they are yours I won't let anyone else swoop in on them I don't roll like that, no matter the price
Post 30 IP   flag post
600777 46 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?