Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeQuestions

Newsstand or Direct Editions?4726

Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Everybody,

I was just wondering everyone's opinions are about newsstand verses direct edition values? It seems plausible that newsstand survival rarity should impact a books value... And I'm not sure if CBCS takes newsstand or direct edition when grading into consideration or not.

But I found an interesting article about it that explains some of the newsstand #s for rarity. Especially in the end of the Newsstand lifecycle of the late 90's.
https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/newsstand-vs-direct-edition-comics/

And Mile High comics tacks a very hefty premium on their newsstand book pricing as well. I'm just curious what the experts here at CBCS thought about it?

Also, what the heck is Jewel/Newsstand? The Jewel part isn't something I was aware of. Another thing on Mile High I see allot.

Thanks for your opinions...
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I wrote a very hefty article on the subject in May of this year actually: http://blog.kaptainmyke.com/?p=1168

ok so it's not as hefty as the article you posted LOL

but I still agree 100% Newsstands over direct market editions any day of the week for me
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
I'm assuming the Jewel/Newstand is referring to the ones with a Mark Jewelers insert
Post 4 IP   flag post
Probably.

I have Amazing Spider-man issues #110-#280 that are ALL Mark Jewelers Inserts that I got from a seller who lived near an army base. Pretty cool, actually!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cbj102 private msg quote post Address this user
Great article and grid kaptainmyke!

And yeah I wouldn't go crazy but most definitely keep an eye out for them. Especially if like me you frequent flea markets often like I do.
Post 6 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Grades being equal, would this newsstand copy have that much
greater value than a Direct Delivery Edition?

mm
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Probably.

I have Amazing Spider-man issues #110-#280 that are ALL Mark Jewelers Inserts that I got from a seller who lived near an army base. Pretty cool, actually!

As an unknowing kid I used to tear these out the minute I got out of the PX.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Given a choice, I'll buy direct market every time.

I hate barcodes,especially on the front of a book.
Post 9 IP   flag post
It's a pretty 50/50 divided group here on the subject, lol. Paging @shrewbeer to the newsstand thread!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector CEPubDude private msg quote post Address this user
Nice! Great comments... Yeah I just as a preference look for bar codes first.

According to Mile High that Man of Steel is $17 Direct, $20 NS in their store. However issue #18 is $36 Direct and $90 NS. No way in heck I'd pay that premium, but searching back issue $1 bins would grab it.

Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics

+1 almost.

I don't "hate" them. But those without a bar code are better looking covers.

But I also like rarity over looks, so it is a tough call.

I would not pay a premium more than a couple of dollars. UNLESS it was an issue that I have seen many people searching for a newsstand edition.

If I was selling two identical issues, but one was a newsstand and one was direct market. I would sell them both for the same price.
But I would pay a couple or few dollars more for a ten dollar book that was newsstand and published after year 2000.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector canadianspiderman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics

+1 almost.

I don't "hate" them. But those without a bar code are better looking covers.

But I also like rarity over looks, so it is a tough call.

I would not pay a premium more than a couple of dollars. UNLESS it was an issue that I have seen many people searching for a newsstand edition.

If I was selling two identical issues, but one was a newsstand and one was direct market. I would sell them both for the same price.
But I would pay a couple or few dollars more for a ten dollar book that was newsstand and published after year 2000.

I've been waiting for this moment, you variant hunter you. Jokes.

All jokes aside, I purposely search out newsstands newer than 2000 - they're hard to find, costly, and even harder to find in higher grade - my collection is strictly Amazing Spider-Man, there's only about 100 newsstands or so I've yet to find between issues 500-700. When I do find them, I'll have both the direct AND newsstands of each issue between 165-700. Kinda cool? I Guess?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
It could just be me but has anyone else noticed that the newsstand editions from the mid 80's to the early 90's seem to fetch slightly higher premiums or be more sought after than the newsstand editions from other eras?
Post 14 IP   flag post
It's probably because it's harder to maintain a high grade on comics that were sitting on wire racks at grocery stores.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It's probably because it's harder to maintain a high grade on comics that were sitting on wire racks at grocery stores.

Very true, plus the direct market really took off in the early 90's, right?
Post 16 IP   flag post
skyrocketed and then collapsed short of its distance, like a north korean missle
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@CEPubDude certain direct books that go for under $100-$200 in 9.8 all day long will pop up in newsstand just a few times a year in that grade; and crazies like me will be happy to pay double, if not more. The worst ratio I ever spent was $350 for a book that would go for $60-$80 in direct.

CBCS does differentiate between them on the label.

It's not that newsstands in general are rare, its that they are extremely rare in HIGH grade.

Hope that helps 🍺
Post 18 IP   flag post
CBCS only differentiates up until like 2004 or something though. Not sure why they don't recognize them in years since then.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
CBCS does differentiate between them on the label.

not after the year 2000. as evidenced here:

makes no sense! the ratio of print runs decrease after 2000. you would THINK that CBCS would recognize this rarity on the label. BAH
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Then there are direct edition books with bar codes.

It would be awesome if all books were virgin covers. Artwork would be even more appreciated by us. Put the issue number real tiny on the top left of the front cover. I mean real tiny.
Post 21 IP   flag post
not only that - but Marvel pulled out of the newsstand race last year, too!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Then there are direct edition books with bar codes.

Those with barcodes and direct edition will say "DIRECT EDITION" over the barcodes. That's what most direct comics are now. Those are not newsstands.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I thought it was in 2014 Marvel pulled out? I can't remember the exact year cbcs recognizes to, but I searched it here in the form and it was posted.

I've got an ASM 611 9.8 that's newsstand graded by CGC and it's not noted on there either - wrong labels happen sometimes (no 9.8 newsstand on the census, but my book is definitely newsstand - perhaps the only one graded by CGC?). I've got a 606 9.8 newsstand as well! I don't figure there are too many of those.
Post 24 IP   flag post

Found it, 2000 it is. Not sure why it's stuck at that year, doesn't make much sense.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianspiderman
@kaptainmyke I thought it was in 2014 Marvel pulled out? I can't remember the exact year cbcs recognizes to, but I searched it here in the form and it was posted.

You could be right. I'm not sure if it was 2014, 2015, or last year. I only said last year because some books-a-million stores were selling marvel comics according to facebook friends.

I been saying CBCS stops at 2000. They should stop at 2015 or 2016. Newsstands are dead. You can only buy comics online or through diamond at a LCS. That's why Newsstand Editions matter.

#NEWSSTANDSMATTER
Post 26 IP   flag post
DC hasn't killed newsstands yet have they?
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I been saying CBCS stops at 2000. They should stop at 2015 or 2016. Newsstands are dead. You can only buy comics online or through diamond at a LCS. That's why Newsstand Editions matter.

#NEWSSTANDSMATTER

They shouldn't stop at all, until there are no more newsstands. It makes zero sense, and I've asked several without ever getting an answer.

DC still sells on newsstands, certain books.

Marvel killed it around '13, possibly '14
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
The last DC I was able to find through the "newsstand" market (it was actually in the magazine section of our main grocery store in town) was a copy of Batman #40 (Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo, with Danny Miki). The "newsstand" book was actually priced one dollar higher (at $ 4.99) than the direct market edition.

After that, the comics pretty much disappeared from the grocery store magazine section.
Post 29 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
The CGC boards has a fantastic discussing going on that mirrors this thread regarding newsstand editions. It can be found in comics general.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597876 41 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?