Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

IMO Probably the worst investment4708

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahSult
I really don’t understand why people are hating on the guy. I understand you think the bubble will burst but him spending that on it also establishes a market for that high of a grade for the book. Like I said before if you got the money, why not?!
Deadpool has feet in this cover which is rare for Liefeld art.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Only 1... OF 11 LOL LOL LOL
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahSult
I really don’t understand why people are hating on the guy. I understand you think the bubble will burst but him spending that on it also establishes a market for that high of a grade for the book. Like I said before if you got the money, why not?!

I just feel bad for the people... The people who get caught WHEN it bursts. The last person able to sell for the highest amount makes off like a bandit (or the smallest margin, because the bought right before the burst). The first person when it goes "pop" says "OH S#$%!!!" as everyone tries to sell off. Or, people hold on, thinking it will go up again, because, hey, it's Deadpool, right? This guy is classic!!!!

I'm not making a dig at Liefeld in regards to Deadpool or Cable speculators. I have both books, just haven't gotten around to grading them, and, per other threads, I won't pay the upcharge to get those two books signed. When the market stabilizes, I may consider it, but it's part of a complete run, so I likely wouldn't sell anyway.

@IntoAnother , why would someone buy a 9.9 as anything other than an investment? Plan to sit on it forever as the world's biggest Deadpool fan? Someone mentioned Ryan Reynolds... Sure, it could be him buying it for himself to put on his wall or crack and get signed by Rob, Stan, whoever... Could be that. Never know. Piece of history. But... assuming investment, short or long term. Wait... is it you?

Haaa! It’s certainly not me bidding on it.

Why wouldn’t someone buy it just to own? I buy plenty of comics that are graded that are not viewed as investments. Certainly others do as well.

If it’s an assumption that it’s an investment because of the price I don’t put much behind that. Someone spending over $10,000 on a book may be the financial equivalent to me buying a $2.99 comic off the rack.

Some people just have lots of money to spend as they see fit. It certainly doesn’t mean they have to be buying it as an investment.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@IntoAnother You got me there... One person's $10 is another person's $10k. I'll concede that one! I have high grade books that ARE for me, encapsulated to protect them. In most cases, I like to have other copies, because I like to read my comics. But, in my head, too, in most cases I still think $$$. There are a few books, though, that I want high grade copies of, even signed, that are relatively worthless. Investment? Hell no.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
The Real Morty book would be my nomination. With everything that has come to light that book makes my head hurt.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector det_tobor private msg quote post Address this user
how did 11 books get 9.9 ? Were they picked up at the print shop?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by det_tobor

Someone may have bought a case, so it just passed through Diamond without being counted... glided over the floor without touching anything. Feather touches, light as a breeze. "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Someone may have bought a case, so it just passed through Diamond without being counted... glided over the floor without touching anything. Feather touches, light as a breeze. "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
ok, everybody... we all chip in and buy everything by the case from now on. Distribution will be done by wrapping books in cotton and then sent in heavy plastics thru fedex.
Start saving your quarters now.
oh yeah, make sure you order 2 copies of everything...that way you have a back up if one falls short (and a reading copy as well).
Post 33 IP   flag post
@det_tobor 200-250 copies, I think... Maybe it depends on the publisher, who they print through, and the page count.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

When I saw a picture of the 10.0 it did not look like it deserved it. Still went for 15k + though.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Quote:
@det_tobor 200-250 copies, I think... Maybe it depends on the publisher, who they print through, and the page count.
works for me.
Post 36 IP   flag post
@det_tobor hell, if you're going to do that, start working to get some solid contacts in the industry and get some CBCS exclusives going, even if they're "just" virgin covers. Run 1-2 cases, hoard the hell out of them. You're paying around $200 extra per book for them to switch a printing plate, a little extra for the publisher to pre-press and redesign the cover (should be a minimum charge), plus whatever upcharge they want to drop on you, but it's really not as bad as you might think if you have the right contacts. Do I? Well.... no, ha ha.

If you're buying a case of each book, though, you're going to get damned great discounts through Diamond. Just get a retail license, open an account, and start working with your online CBCS and forum friends only. Get a small business going. Badabing.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
@det_tobor hell, if you're going to do that, start working to get some solid contacts in the industry and get some CBCS exclusives going, even if they're "just" virgin covers. Run 1-2 cases, hoard the hell out of them. You're paying around $200 extra per book for them to switch a printing plate, a little extra for the publisher to pre-press and redesign the cover (should be a minimum charge), plus whatever upcharge they want to drop on you, but it's really not as bad as you might think if you have the right contacts. Do I? Well.... no, ha ha.

If you're buying a case of each book, though, you're going to get damned great discounts through Diamond. Just get a retail license, open an account, and start working with your online CBCS and forum friends only. Get a small business going. Badabing.
NOW YOU're talking. But to do it right, get a case sent directly to CBCS, immediate grading and THEN sent to the customer.
You know what, that might actually work by a group.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
NOW YOU're talking. But to do it right, get a case sent to CBCS, immediate grading and THEN sent to the customer.
You know what, that might actually work by a group.

Depending on the book, you can always work something like that out with CBCS and get a discounted rate, I do believe. I mean, if you're sending 200-250 books in a sealed box - prospector's delight - a high number would come back 9.8, I'm thinking. That would be your threshold. If it went directly from the dock to shipping with minimal "touches" and was shipped well, you could end up with half at 9.8. Actually, kind of scary! More touches, lower number of 9.8's. Worse packaging around the sealed case, lower number of 9.8's.

The way it works with the supply chain - printers send wrapped pallets of books to Diamond. Diamond breaks them down to the individual cartons of books. Those cartons get opened and divided up by store. Then, for larger stores, pallets could, in theory, get re-assembled (think a Midtown, for example). Otherwise, you're looking at loose cases with minimal security. This is why there's always commentary about damages at stores. Sealed cases from the printer aren't made for durable shipping necessarily, because they are made more for pallet shipping - line haul in trailers on pallets where they're not going to get crushed, dropped, handled, etc...

Anyway, sorry, I'm talking a lot on this. I'm a supply chain person... I know a lot about this kind of stuff from a life in the industry (book stores, big box mainframes, cables, peripherals, magazines, and the comic book industry).
Post 39 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I said it before and I say it again. NM 98 is the Hulk 181 of present day.

And high prices should be expected for 9.8's. But 9.9's and 10's of this book, are just not that spectacular. Not for that much of a difference in prices. It is a common book, and one in which any grade is never going to pay off as an investment. It would have been a great invested a few years ago.

But that ship has sailed.

Like others said though. If you have "real" money. Maybe you just want bragging rights and not in it for investment purposes.

I would never purchase a NM 98 at the current prices. Not a 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 or a 10.0 No upside in the forseeable future.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Duplicate posting deleted.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I always get suspecius when an item like this is sold by a seller who only has 3 items for sale and there is only 1 bid on the item and the bidder has only bid once in the past thirty days
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
What’ll this fetch at auction? Look closely at the label.

Post 43 IP   flag post
I'll pay $50 bucks for the 3rd cover.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I always get suspicious when an item like this is sold by a seller who only has 3 items for sale and there is only 1 bidder and that bidder has only bid once for the past 30 days.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Post 46 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

You can say that again!
Post 47 IP   flag post
Lol
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Shilling Tulip Mania

Nuff Said.....
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Shilling Tulip Mania

Digging up a 350+ year reference!
Now I'm entertained by my ironic choice of words... "Digging up"...
Post 50 IP   flag post
Most won't understand the reference. I only do because I saw the story in a documentary a couple of months ago.

Kudos to both of you for knowing about that little bit of history.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I know a little of everything and a lot of nothing.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Yea, I often say that I am good at everything and a master of nothing.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Yea, I often say that I am good at everything and a master of nothing.

That's a bard. Jack of all trades, master of none. I like to say, jack of all trades, master of a few, personally.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
People do get crazy. It always happens though. I have seen this sort of thing on various scales happen throughout the years since I started collecting in 1979. Prices people pay are far more pronounced and the interwebs have drastically increased the appreciation of price but the fact is, no matter which way you cut it, it still happens.

Would I pay that much for that book? Never. However, people are free to spend their money on whatever they want. Since it is not my money I pretty much don't care. Paying such prices though can have a positive effect on the prices for some of my books down the road so I can't really get too mad. In the end there really is no reason to get all huffy about what another person does with their money.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601201 59 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?