Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeSignatures

Autograph Question Here.4698

Collector Shaggy99 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello, folks!

I've got a question: bought an autographed silver age comic recently (With a Lone Star Certificate of Authenticity), and the package is sealed with "tamper resistant" tape. Seriously, I wanna open the thing up, check it out, and, quite frankly, read it.

Am I doing wrong here?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
If you're ever going to get it graded, it will be opened. If you plan to keep it you may want to put it mylite or mylar, and would have to open it as I assume it's in a poly bag. Just my opinion.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Agree with @DavidM. Also, you'll probably want to get a better look at the condition if it's a silver age book anyway.

Which book and which signature, if you're willing to tell us?
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@shaggy99 Regardless who's sig is on the book, what silver age book is it and what grade did MCS/LS assign it? I think knowing the book's title, it's issue #, and it's physical condition, will garnish more concerned opinions.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
If the book is valuable you might not want to take it out as it could get damaged. I usually like to read the trade paperbacks at Barnes and Noble instead of damaging my books.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Sorry fellas, I should've been a little more clear: This is the jewel of my collection. FF Annual #1 (1963) signed by Lee and Kirby. I'll kid you not, I paid a good amount for it; that said, I'm collecting for my love of comics, not 'cuz I want to turn a profit.

I can't help but want to check this bad boy out.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy99
Sorry fellas, I should've been a little more clear: This is the jewel of my collection. FF Annual #1 (1963) signed by Lee and Kirby. I'll kid you not, I paid a good amount for it; that said, I'm collecting for my love of comics, not 'cuz I want to turn a profit.

I can't help but want to check this bad boy out.

Very cool book!
Very cool sigs!

But what is the books physical condition?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector silverage1375 private msg quote post Address this user
Since you bought it recently, why don't you get it authenticated by CBCS? If you do, I don't believe it really matters if it goes to them in the bag you got it in and I don't believe they really take the COA into account when deciding if the signatures are authentic. Since you did get it recently, if it turns out to be non authentic, you could get your money back assuming you used a credit card or paypal to pay for it. It is most likely authentic, so when when you get it back, given your other comments you could then just break it open to enjoy it knowing that the signatures are authentic. If you save the case and label you could show it to whomever, and it might help if you ever decided to sell it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
The book itself is rated VG -3.5.
And it's got a certificate of authenticity already.

I appreciate the replies gang, but all I really wanna know is: would it be wrong of me to open it up, kinda bask in the glory of those signatures and read the damn thing? Would it kill the value of the book if I did that?

This is the part of collecting that I hate; I am a firm believer in collecting for the love of it. That said, this is the most money I've ever paid for a book, and that includes some pretty good stuff from the '40s. Signed (and verified) by Stan and Jack, this is like the pinnacle for me.

But I still wanna open it up and read it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Shaggy99 I don’t think there’s any harm in unsealing the book and as long as the book is structurally sound and not brittle, a (very) careful read-through probably won’t do much harm to it.

Typically sealed books aren’t placed in the highest quality bags/boards either so you’d be doing your book a favor moving into a high quality mylar and board.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The book itself is rated VG -3.5.
And it's got a certificate of authenticity already.

I appreciate the replies gang, but all I really wanna know is: would it be wrong of me to open it up, kinda bask in the glory of those signatures and read the damn thing? Would it kill the value of the book if I did that?

This is the part of collecting that I hate; I am a firm believer in collecting for the love of it. That said, this is the most money I've ever paid for a book, and that includes some pretty good stuff from the '40s. Signed (and verified) by Stan and Jack, this is like the pinnacle for me.

But I still wanna open it up and read it.

I think you've answered your own question. You're in it for the love of collecting, not value. Kick back one evening with a glass of wine open the darn thing and enjoy the fruits of your labour!!!
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Shaggy99 I don’t think there’s any harm in unsealing the book and as long as the book is structurally sound and not brittle, a (very) careful read-through probably won’t do much harm to it.

Typically sealed books aren’t placed in the highest quality bags/boards either so you’d be doing your book a favor moving into a high quality mylar and board.

quote]

I think you've answered your own question. You're in it for the love of collecting, not value. Kick back one evening with a glass of wine open the darn thing and enjoy the fruits of your labour!!!

I Agree. Open and enjoy
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Just be careful with the wine...
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Read it! They're meant to be read. I'm not saying bust out the potatoe chips and leave it open over the arm of the couch while you get a soda but open it up, give it a read and a careful, gentle inspection and bag it up again. I always read the books I buy, especially the ones I buy online.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, that's the hard thing about those interior signatures, too! I'd hate to have an amazing sig like that lost forever inside a slab! As @DavidM said, Mylar / Mylite it after and enjoy. Take some pictures.

I watched this video a while back of someone cracking a CGC case from an Amazing Fantasy 15 signed on the inside cover by Stan Lee. You WANT to be able to see them at some point!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
A funny thing I realized recently: These funny books have stories in them! All kidding aside, there's nothing like sitting back with a good classic story and diving in to the world within the panels. Read it (carefully) and bask in all its glory.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
A funny thing I realized recently: These funny books have stories in them! All kidding aside, there's nothing like sitting back with a good classic story and diving in to the world within the panels. Read it (carefully) and bask in all its glory.

I wish there would be collections made these days that would re-print in newsprint with the same classic look/feel, rather than "remastered" coloring. The flat colors on glossy paper just doesn't look right, especially since it's supposed to be four-color printing, not what we have today. It doesn't translate quite so well.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
It's your comic so by all means crack it open and enjoy! For the record though that issue is available for digital purchase:

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/8687/fantastic_four_annual_1963_1

I know it's not quite the same as the real thing but for $2 might be worth it.

But if you do crack it open I second what has been mentioned earlier:

"Take photos!"

I'm sure we'd all love to see those signatures
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
Quote:

I wish there would be collections made these days that would re-print in newsprint with the same classic look/feel, rather than "remastered" coloring. The flat colors on glossy paper just doesn't look right, especially since it's supposed to be four-color printing, not what we have today. It doesn't translate quite so well.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the HCF 2017 Journey Into Mystery #102 reprint the other day
Post 19 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics It's what I think with all of the True Believers, Omnibus Editions, and Marvel Masterworks. We know how they REALLY look. If the reprints had the same "glory" or could at least re-create it on the glossy pages (it's totally possible), I would be totally fine slabbing everything old I ever buy. Erik Larsen has this amazing tutorial on his FB page for creators, teaching them on NEW artwork how best to recreate the look when coloring. The trick is reprinting the look. I'm sure it's doable... someone just needs to DO it!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hello, folks!

I've got a question: bought an autographed silver age comic recently (With a Lone Star Certificate of Authenticity), and the package is sealed with "tamper resistant" tape. Seriously, I wanna open the thing up, check it out, and, quite frankly, read it.

Am I doing wrong here?

Not to disparage Lone Star, but Kirby has been dead since 1994. I assume it was signed long ago and judged to be authentic. Also, it's unlikely that the book would have been signed by both at the same time, not that it matters. Where are the sigs located?
Post 21 IP   flag post
@thelastbard R.I.P to the 4-color process
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
@thelastbard R.I.P to the 4-color process

Alterna! $1.99 or less comics are using it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
lol I always forget about that. What's especially sad is that I wrote an article about that when it was first announced. My memory is going in my old age
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
lol I always forget about that. What's especially sad is that I wrote an article about the when it was first announced. My memory is going in my old age

It's okay, I'd forget what day was if I wasn't sitting in front of my work computer all the time looking at weekly, monthly, and quarterly data...
Post 25 IP   flag post
600439 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?