Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureQuestionsSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Can I submit items to Beckett now?4662

Collector Tommy49 private msg quote post Address this user
For instance:
I am going to Walker Stalker in Atlanta this weekend and I have my AW papers in order.
Could I now have Jeffrey Dean Morgan sign a bat and submit it to Beckett for encapsulation and/or authentication?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Too soon
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I just wanna pile on the #toosoon memes, but I don't wanna get banned
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I just wanna pile on the #toosoon memes, but I don't wanna get banned

just do a couple
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Does Beckett want CBCS witnesses and vice versa? Do they both have the same requirements in their witness agreements? Those would all have to be answered and worked out.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Towmater addresses the real issue. Which is why the answer to the OP's question is going to be NO. At least not as asked.

You can look across the street at CGC for some guidance as to how this is going to work. CGC is also part of a bigger company. The Certified Collectibles Group. The largest part of that group is actually the coin grading service. NCG. They have graded some 30 million coins while CGC is at about 3 million comics.

They all operate mostly independently. So most likely if you want Jeffery Dean Morgan's signature on a bat and have it certified/encapsulated, you are going to have to find out how/apply for being some sort of signature witness with Beckett. CBCS is only going to be approving Authorized Witnesses for what they do. Professionally Graded and encapsulated comics.

I do however love the idea of the signed bat...
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
A baseball bat may fall under Becketts already established Sports memorabilia authentication?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Tommy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I appreciate the thoughtful answers (and holding off on memes).
I feel like it was a legit question. Granted, I won't be submitting anything like that anytime soon . . . well, maybe some Jim Lee X-Men cards from the early 90s with signatures . . .
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
They have graded some 30 million coins while CGC is at about 3 million comics.

According to their website, CGC is at 4.1 million comics.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
Quote:
They have graded some 30 million coins while CGC is at about 3 million comics.

According to their website, CGC is at 4.1 million comics.

Thanks! The most recent information I found was the announcement back late June last year that CGC was modifying the Generation 2 case and would go back to having an inner holder. That announcement mentioned they had slabbed over 3 million comics. So it's no surprise that they are now - over a year later - at 4 million. Just looking over the CGC website I'm not finding the 4.1 million statement. I like keeping up with such. If you get a minute post up a link
Post 10 IP   flag post
@IronMan

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/holder-faq.asp#generalFAQ4

Q: Is it necessary to get my CGC book reholdered every 10 (or 7, or 12, etc.) years?

A few paragraphs down in the answer:
" Today, however, we have the benefit of having graded 4.1 million books over a 17-year period."
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Just looking over the CGC website I'm not finding the 4.1 million statement. I like keeping up with such. If you get a minute post up a link

Q: Is it necessary to get my CGC book reholdered every 10 (or 7, or 12, etc.) years?

A: No. The CGC holder is designed for long-term preservation and provides superior protection for your books. A properly handled and stored CGC-certified book can last for generations.

The CGC holder is made from high-quality materials and is entirely archival-safe. The inner well that holds books, for example, is comprised of PETG, a plastic that is well known to be archival-safe and extremely clear. This PETG well is placed inside of a durable outer case that is sonically welded to ensure a secure, tamper-evident seal.

Many comic books, particularly vintage ones, naturally release ('off gas') acidic molecules over time. The CGC holder is therefore designed to not have an air-tight seal, which would otherwise trap these acidic molecules.

For added long-term preservation, CGC inserts MicroChamber® paper into vintage books prior to encapsulation. This MicroChamber paper helps to neutralize the natural acidity of some books by using a specialized, proprietary “zeolite” that was designed to absorb and hold the molecules known to damage archival collections. That is why MicroChamber paper is used by many of the world’s most respected museums and institutions, including the Smithsonian Institution, the Getty Conservation Institute, the Louvre, the British Museum and the Northeast Document Conservation Center.

When CGC was first established in 2000, we thoroughly researched and implemented the best practices in archival preservation. We took a conservative approach and suggested that customers may wish to consider reholdering their books after approximately seven to ten years so that the MicroChamber paper could be replaced.

Today, however, we have the benefit of having graded 4.1 million books over a 17-year period. This is an incredibly large sample size that represents books of all eras, paper types, paper qualities, storage conditions and grades. CGC and its customers now have ample evidence that demonstrates it is not necessary to have your CGC books reholdered simply to replace the MicroChamber paper. CGC’s archival-safe holder, with its combination of features that includes air permeability, MicroChamber paper and a secure, sonic seal, has been shown to provide superior long-term protection for the millions of books that have been encapsulated by CGC.

We have never seen a properly stored CGC-certified comic book that needed to be reholdered for archival reasons. Nonetheless, there are still a number of benefits to utilizing CGC’s reholder service, including the crystal-clear display, enhanced aesthetic and durable construction of CGC’s new holder.

It is important to remember that proper storage is essential to preserving your books, and collectors should take steps to minimize exposure to heat, humidity, vibration and light. CGC recommends that CGC-certified books be stored in a dark, dry, cool, temperature-controlled location.

CGC's holders have withstood the test of time and over the last 17 years have been shown to provide outstanding long-term protection and preservation. No other comic book grading services can make that claim.

MicroChamber® is a registered trademark of Conservation Resources International, Inc.
Post 12 IP   flag post
596786 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?