Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpoolica
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@BLBcomics All comics are worthless until they aren’t, so I don’t think your argument has merit. Recent examples 1st Deadpool and 1st Harley.

Ok, two funny books out of tens of thousands.

Query remains the same which remains unanswered which is why having a "registry" makes otherwise "worthless" comics certified in to 9.8 worth money?

I make no "argument" here. My thought re building Next Generation of comics fans buying the paper products remains very valid. History stipulates same

In regards to the registry question, some books that don't really have much value can get a hefty price tag in a 9.8 because they are htf in that grade. People that go for top sets of certain runs really need those books so they'll pay a hefty premium for them. Hope that makes sense & answers your question

Hello Deadpoolica & KingNampa

I appreciate the feedback and I do understand the rationale presented. My point (I think) is "registry" is misleading in that more than 97% of the comic books are not slabbed up ergo the census counts that way are skewed to make for false god doctrines.

CGC "census" BS much less GPA supposed sales of CGC cert products are also subject to manipulations which makes for novice investor collectors to be taken advantage of.

Come on, Bob. These comments are irresponsible. Is GPA perfect? No, of course not...people are involved. Is the census perfect? No, for the same reason.

But that doesn't mean they're useless, or "subject to manipulations" on a scale that would render them useless. And while I don't advocate people trying to take advantage of others, don't the "novices" bear some responsibility to educate themselves...?

I don't even know what "skewed to make for false god doctrines" means.

There are about 4 million comics slabbed. That's the print run of a single book...Superman #75...or many of the WDC&S issues from the early 50's. There are probably no less than 10 BILLION comic books still extant. The reality is that 99.5% of all comics ever published will never see the inside of a slab. Slabbing will always be a drop in the bucket compared to what exists. But the other side of that is that there aren't tens of millions of ultra high grade (9.8+) copies just sitting out there, just waiting to be slabbed. That's the beauty of the FREE MARKET. If a book like Guardians of the Galaxy (1990) #32 sells for "worth seeking out" prices, then either the books will come to market...a la New Mutants #98, or Batman Adventures #12...or they won't, a la Wolverine (1988) #35.

That doesn't mean the market for these books is illegitimate. The people buying these for registry sets aren't doing so because they are "hoping to save for college." They're paying these prices for CONVENIENCE. It takes a hell of a lot of effort...and education...to find and make raw books be 9.8; the further back in time you go, the harder it is. These people aren't being "duped"...they're recognizing that their time is valuable, and it's better spent on other things, not chasing down potential copies in potential grades.
Post 176 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
πŸ‘†πŸ» Is this new content or just 4 quoted posts?
Post 177 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
πŸ‘†πŸ» Is this new content or just 4 quoted posts?

It's fixed. Typing "qyote" instead of "quote"...

Er, I mean, I don't know what you're talking about... (whistle)
Post 178 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Irresponsible?
Post 179 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
There's new stuff in there. Lets keep the personal attacks out of te thread though Doc, shall we? Bob has some decent opinions here sometimes, calling him irresponsible isnt cool.

Lets not get this one locked too pleeeasse
Post 180 IP   flag post

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Inevitably locked
Post 181 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Inevitably locked

Don't jinx 🀞🏻
Post 182 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
With digital copies you can slab and still read them. Problem solved.
Post 183 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Oh it's on the path to locked lol
Post 184 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
There's new stuff in there. Lets keep the personal attacks out of te thread though Doc, shall we? Bob has some decent opinions here sometimes, calling him irresponsible isnt cool.

Lets not get this one locked too pleeeasse

You need to learn how to make the distinction between what is a personal attack and what is criticism of a statement. If you don't understand the difference, you ought to not comment on it.

I didn't call Bob irresponsible. I said his comments were.

If you don't understand the difference, either ask for clarification, or don't say anything at all.
Post 185 IP   flag post
And yes, it is irresponsible to characterize both the census and GPA as "BS." They are not. While there is some error, the truth is that both are overwhelmingly accurate.
Post 186 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user

Post 187 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater

Indeed.
Post 188 IP   flag post
Might be very questionable
Post 189 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user

Post 190 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Oh and concerning my post above I think this is a good thing for the Comic book grading market as a whole. If CBCS was able to change the way CGC did things with the resources they had at their disposal. Just think what they would be able to do now with greater resources.

This is the hope for sure. If they are allowed to still "be" cbcs, but with greater capital to play with... yeah that makes me giddy πŸ™ƒ
Post 191 IP   flag post
It might even be verrrry questionable.
Post 192 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

This reminds me of the scene from A League of Their Own where Jimmy Duggan (Tom Hanks) goes out to talk with the umpire. I can't find it right now, so I'll paraphrase. It went something like:

Jimmy: Ump, can I get kicked out of the game for thinking?

Ump: No, why?

Jimmy: Because I think you stink!

The umpire tosses him out of the game.
Post 193 IP   flag post
Collector Symbiote private msg quote post Address this user

Post 194 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Quote:

This reminds me of the scene from A League of Their Own where Jimmy Duggan (Tom Hanks) goes out to talk with the umpire. I can't find it right now, so I'll paraphrase. It went something like:

Jimmy: Ump, can I get kicked out of the game for thinking?

Ump: No, why?

Jimmy: Because I think you stink!

The umpire tosses him out of the game.

lol

Not the same, but ok.

Bob is a dealer who has sold more than one slabbed book in his career spanning 50 years, not a novice collector. Characterizing the census and GPA as if they're "BS" or "supposed" is irresponsible for a dealer to say. The vast, vast majority of the information on the census and at GPA is accurate and legitimate.

Don't get your noses out of joint, kids.
Post 195 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
In all seriousness, how can the census -- even a majority of it -- be accurate when anyone has the ability to crack open a slab and resubmit the book for grading (a practice we all know occurs, especially since pressing has become so prevalent)? So while it's a useful tool (because there's nothing else like it), I'm not sure I'd qualify it as an accurate one.
Post 196 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown I'm sure it's not the same, but your comments made me laugh the same way as that scene. All good!
Post 197 IP   flag post
I wonder if there will be a name change?
Post 198 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
In all seriousness, how can the census -- even a majority of it -- be accurate when anyone has the ability to crack open a slab and resubmit the book for grading (a practice we all know occurs, especially since pressing has become so prevalent)? So while it's a useful tool (because there's nothing else like it), I'm not sure I'd qualify it as an accurate one.

It's definitely useful in certain analysis, but you're correct;not accurate. To Bob's point, deceptive enough to novices that are led on to "trust" it and be taken advantage of.

To the extreme, this reminds me of the guy on ebay selling a .5 GI joe #1 for crazzzy money with the logic (and selling point) of "RARE! ONLY ONE IN CENSUS!) πŸ˜‚
Post 199 IP   flag post
Collector J_Walker private msg quote post Address this user
Tried reading through everything. Is it safe to say orders are still being processed at this time? Or has there been a halt to production because of these announcements?
Post 200 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

It's definitely useful in certain analysis, but you're correct;not accurate. To Bob's point, deceptive enough to novices that are led on to "trust" it and be taken advantage of.

To the extreme, this reminds me of the guy on ebay selling a .5 GI joe #1 for crazzzy money with the logic (and selling point) of "RARE! ONLY ONE IN CENSUS!) πŸ˜‚

As long as there are novices that can be turned into victims; by dealers that believe they get what they deserve because those novices didn't educate themselves, then those deceptive practices will continue. We live in such sad times.
Post 201 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
This is cool. I love when big mergers happen like this.

So is CBCS being absolved into BGS? or is the plan to keep their identities under one roof?

I think as far as prices/standards go PSA & CGC are #1, even if just for their registry/length of existence...

so CBCS + BGS could help solidify that one-stop-shop mentality where as PSA/CGC don't have that.

Grats CBCS!
Post 202 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

That's a fair question, and the answer is this:

1. The vast majority of books are "unimprovable" to begin with. CPR isn't as big a business as some think it is. (By "unimprovable", I don't mean pressing won't make them look better...simply that they have technical defects which prevent them from attaining a higher grade.)

2. A good chunk (this didn't use to be true!) of the books that ARE improvable, are being improved PRIOR TO being slabbed.

3. The vast, vast majority of the books represented on the census are "first time" and a lot of those are "only time", because they are subbed and/or bought by collectors who have no interest in CPR. While no one can ever know completely accurately, the truth is, for the vast majority of books, people are NOT cracking them out, resubbing them, and then not turning in the labels (thus skewing the census.)

How do we know that? CGC keeps a photographic database of "the rare books", which they can compare if another copy comes in, so they know if it's a resubmission, or a new book to the service. Also, auction houses like Heritage keep photograpic records of these books, so the market has a really good idea if a particular book was resubbed, or is a new copy in a new slab.

If a book like All American #16 comes up for sale, many, many people compare that copy to photos of previous copies sold, to see if this is a resub, or a new book in a new slab. And, for the most part, the majority of new slabs have NOT been resubmitted books.

And, the more copies of a particular issue that get submitted, the more the census tends to (that's the key phrase, there) be accurate. For example: there are 104 Hulk #181 9.8s, and 10 SS 9.8s. Now, the odds are fair that some of those 9.8 Universals ended up becoming some of those 9.8 SS. But clearly not the majority. And, since 9.8s are not going to be cracked out to be CPR'd, it's probably a good bet to say that there are 90-95% of those copies still slabbed, so the census for that book is very close to being accurate.

Now, there are 258 9.6s. Now, certainly, some of those 9.6s (and we have no way of knowing how many) ended up in "not 9.6" slabs...whether higher or lower...and those 9.6s labels didn't get turned in. Also, there's a small percentage that stayed the same, and a few that turned into SS copies.

However...again, we're looking at...and keep in mind, this is a guess, still...probably 80-90% of the 9.6 copies still existing in those 9.6 slabs.

That said, however, the lower you get on the grading scale, the more you run into "unfixable" defects, and the less likely books are to be CPRd in the first place. Less LIKELY, not that it doesn't happen.

In other words, it's not 10%, or 25%, and the rest are resubmissions. You see that on VERY, VERY rare items...census numbers represented in single digits, for example...but not over time, with common or low value items.

4. CGC used to give a credit for people who turned in old labels. This tended to keep the census more accurate than not.

5. Even though CGC doesn't give credit anymore, there are still quite a few people who, in the interest of keeping the census accurate, turn their labels in. The motive for the census being inaccurate...that is, the census cannot be artificially LOWERED (well, theoretically, people can make counterfeit labels to turn in, but that's getting REALLY out there), it can only be artificially RAISED...is weaker than the motive for the census to BE accurate. After all...if you're using the census as a selling point, you want it to be as close to accurate as possible...that is, LOW...rather than higher. There's no "upside" to having a HIGHER census number as a seller. It gives the appearance that a book might be less rare than it actually is (unless you get really conspiratorial and argue that a seller might want to hurt competition...if so, that's quite an elaborate scheme to pull off!)

Because of all these factors, the tendency is that the census is more accurate than not.

"But how do you KNOW that? No one REALLY knows, so how can you say?"

It's true, no one knows for sure, unless you have a book with a census population of, say, 3, and you own all 3 slabs. But, because we can see patterns of behavior over a long period of time...15+ years now...we can predict reasonable outcomes based on what has been observed. And since A. the majority of books cannot be "improved"; either from not having pressable defects at all, or because they were pressed prior to certification, B. the majority of buyers aren't looking to "improve" them, and C. those books that ARE CPR'd have tended to have their labels turned in, then we can say, with reasonable certainty, that the census is pretty accurate.

Yes, there's a LOT of conjecture, here...no doubt. But we can know what tends to happen, so we can make reliable predictions about how accurate the census really is, even if we can never know with absolute certainty beyond a few specific cases.

100% accurate? No, not at all. But accurate enough to be of statistical value? Absolutely.

Here is data on the census over the years, by Valiantman, aka Greg Holland:

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/totals/

There, you can see census numbers go DOWN, as labels got turned in.
Post 203 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
@DocBrown I'm sure it's not the same, but your comments made me laugh the same way as that scene. All good!

I'm glad my serious comments made you laugh. I think.
Post 204 IP   flag post
@DocBrown

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs

That's a fair question, and the answer is this:

1. The vast majority of books are "unimprovable" to begin with. CPR isn't as big a business as some think it is. (By "unimprovable", I don't mean pressing won't make them look better...simply that they have technical defects which prevent them from attaining a higher grade.)

2. A good chunk (this didn't use to be true!) of the books that ARE improvable, are being improved PRIOR TO being slabbed.

3. The vast, vast majority of the books represented on the census are "first time" and a lot of those are "only time", because they are subbed and/or bought by collectors who have no interest in CPR. While no one can ever know completely accurately, the truth is, for the vast majority of books, people are NOT cracking them out, resubbing them, and then not turning in the labels (thus skewing the census.)

How do we know that? CGC keeps a photographic database of "the rare books", which they can compare if another copy comes in, so they know if it's a resubmission, or a new book to the service. Also, auction houses like Heritage keep photograpic records of these books, so the market has a really good idea if a particular book was resubbed, or is a new copy in a new slab.

If a book like All American #16 comes up for sale, many, many people compare that copy to photos of previous copies sold, to see if this is a resub, or a new book in a new slab. And, for the most part, the majority of new slabs have NOT been resubmitted books.

And, the more copies of a particular issue that get submitted, the more the census tends to (that's the key phrase, there) be accurate. For example: there are 104 Hulk #181 9.8s, and 10 SS 9.8s. Now, the odds are fair that some of those 9.8 Universals ended up becoming some of those 9.8 SS. But clearly not the majority. And, since 9.8s are not going to be cracked out to be CPR'd, it's probably a good bet to say that there are 90-95% of those copies still slabbed, so the census for that book is very close to being accurate.

Now, there are 258 9.6s. Now, certainly, some of those 9.6s (and we have no way of knowing how many) ended up in "not 9.6" slabs...whether higher or lower...and those 9.6s labels didn't get turned in. Also, there's a small percentage that stayed the same, and a few that turned into SS copies.

However...again, we're looking at...and keep in mind, this is a guess, still...probably 80-90% of the 9.6 copies still existing in those 9.6 slabs.

That said, however, the lower you get on the grading scale, the more you run into "unfixable" defects, and the less likely books are to be CPRd in the first place. Less LIKELY, not that it doesn't happen.

In other words, it's not 10%, or 25%, and the rest are resubmissions. You see that on VERY, VERY rare items...census numbers represented in single digits, for example...but not over time, with common or low value items.

4. CGC used to give a credit for people who turned in old labels. This tended to keep the census more accurate than not.

5. Even though CGC doesn't give credit anymore, there are still quite a few people who, in the interest of keeping the census accurate, turn their labels in. The motive for the census being inaccurate...that is, the census cannot be artificially LOWERED (well, theoretically, people can make counterfeit labels to turn in, but that's getting REALLY out there), it can only be artificially RAISED...is weaker than the motive for the census to BE accurate. After all...if you're using the census as a selling point, you want it to be as close to accurate as possible...that is, LOW...rather than higher. There's no "upside" to having a HIGHER census number as a seller. It gives the appearance that a book might be less rare than it actually is (unless you get really conspiratorial and argue that a seller might want to hurt competition...if so, that's quite an elaborate scheme to pull off!)

Because of all these factors, the tendency is that the census is more accurate than not.

"But how do you KNOW that? No one REALLY knows, so how can you say?"

It's true, no one knows for sure, unless you have a book with a census population of, say, 3, and you own all 3 slabs. But, because we can see patterns of behavior over a long period of time...15+ years now...we can predict reasonable outcomes based on what has been observed. And since A. the majority of books cannot be "improved"; either from not having pressable defects at all, or because they were pressed prior to certification, B. the majority of buyers aren't looking to "improve" them, and C. those books that ARE CPR'd have tended to have their labels turned in, then we can say, with reasonable certainty, that the census is pretty accurate.

Yes, there's a LOT of conjecture, here...no doubt. But we can know what tends to happen, so we can make reliable predictions about how accurate the census really is, even if we can never know with absolute certainty beyond a few specific cases.

100% accurate? No, not at all. But accurate enough to be of statistical value? Absolutely.

Here is data on the census over the years, by Valiantman, aka Greg Holland:

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/totals/

There, you can see census numbers go DOWN, as labels got turned in.

Could you be a bit more detailed in your answer?
Post 205 IP   flag post
601334 327 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.