Post 101 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
okay ... enjoy your screen shot

Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
okay ... enjoy your screen shot

I don't either. You made the "nothing negative comment".
Post 103 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I just want to be slab-happy. just my yellow label slabs for my dungeon. whether its CBCS or CGC, cept for PGX, they frucking suck.
Post 104 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Is it doom or destiny?
Post 105 IP   flag post

Collector Symbiote private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Is it doom or destiny?

If things get out of hand, Steve B. can get out and start his own grading company
Post 106 IP   flag post
I like Destiny. I really don't think this came about from financial difficulties, I think this was a company continuing to find ways to grow and innovate and drive the market
Post 107 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiote
@DrWatson

Quote:
Is it doom or destiny?

If things get out of hand, Steve B. can get out and start his own grading company

Assuming Beckett wasn't smart enough to have him and others sign non-disclosures and non-competes at the time of sale

They'd be crazy not to.
Post 108 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
have him and others sign non-disclosures and non-competes at the time of sale

Post 109 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiote
@DrWatson

Quote:
Is it doom or destiny?

Assuming Beckett wasn't smart enough to have him and others sign non-disclosures and non-competes at the time of sale

They'd be crazy not to.

Happens in the tech industry a lot. Founder sells, signs a 5-year non-compete, then starts-up again.
Post 110 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Happens in the tech industry a lot. Founder sells, signs a 5-year non-compete, then starts-up again

Yup, great way to make a living really. If someone can build and sell multiple times, they're doing pretty damn well!

5, 10, either way they would have had to have thought of it during the sale.
Post 111 IP   flag post
happens with app developers these days a lot
Post 112 IP   flag post
Collector Symbiote private msg quote post Address this user
A non-compete time lapse could explain Steve B's hiatus between CGC and CBCS.
Post 113 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I have heard most non-compete clauses won’t hold up in court. You can’t deny a person an opportunity to be employed and earn a living.
Post 114 IP   flag post
@esaravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I have heard most non-compete clauses won’t hold up in court. You can’t deny a person an opportunity to be employed and earn a living.

Yes, but your reputation matters. You don't want to be known in the industry as someone who breaches a written agreement.
Post 115 IP   flag post
Sarasota and St. Pete are within the typical 50-mile radius too
Post 116 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

It has to be very specific, and related to the terms of the sale. For example, CBCS "sold" their customer list/members along with the company; they could include all of those names on the non-compete (preventing the seller from selling certain product to those customers).

I ran into that specific example once; someone who had signed one (NC) left, and then attempted to market to those customers. That list has a finite value, it was essentially stealing, and a settlement was agreed on.
Post 117 IP   flag post
Either way, a combined Beckett/CBCS has to have CGC worried. This changes everything.
Post 118 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
As long as the cgc has a registry and CBCS dosen't, people will continue to submit more to the cgc. The registry makes worthless books worth money in 9.8 or higher.
Post 119 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
I like Destiny. I really don't think this came about from financial difficulties, I think this was a company continuing to find ways to grow and innovate and drive the market

I agree and don't think CBCS was having "financial difficulties" such as the company was in trouble of going under. But I do think that they probably had "financial difficulties" such that they didn't have the ready capital to expand, improve, grow, etc. the way they wanted.

I'm assume this was a deal that made sense for both sides.
Post 120 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Hopefully this will not signal the death of graded Comic Books? To which Beckett was associated with in the SportsCard collectibles downfall
Post 121 IP   flag post
@Lonestar I absolutely agree.
Post 122 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
To which Beckett was associated with in the SportsCard collectibles downfall

Please do elaborate

I did notice that Becketts forum is a ghost town running on old software
Post 123 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
As long as the cgc has a registry and CBCS dosen't, people will continue to submit more to the cgc. The registry makes worthless books worth money in 9.8 or higher.

Asking what may be a dumb tourist query, but why would having a "registry" make worthless books worth money in 9.8 or higher?

If any given comic book is not readily collected to begin with, having 9.8 copies of said book makes for artificial commodity which in turn is much easier to find Newtonian gravity, fall off the tree and crash to earth.

Certifying condition grades is essential for higher priced books to find common ground in sales/auctions wherein the buyer and seller do not know each other as trust finds its levels in the dealings.

To this day just a very small percentage of comics existing in collections and holdings have been slabbed up.

True growth in any entertainment industry means "using" the product ie reading the books. Once sealed semi-permanently any given comic book's ability to generate new fans (which only comes from reading the stuff) is killed on the vine without new seeds to germinate for New Generation Fans.

Post 124 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Today I woke up to over 50 emails regarding the take over of CBCS by BECKETT. I am angered, sad, disappointed and generally unhappy with it. Most of the posts have been about "LABEL CHANGE"!! Does anybody worry about what will be taken away that CBCS offers?? CBCS is a 5-7 million dollar business tops. How much do you think BECKETT bought CBCS for and what type of bonus did Steve Borock get? BECKETT will want to re-coop that money NOW not over time. I see prices going up, charges for "Graders notes" and less turn around times. How long will it take for BECKETT to train sports card graders to be comic book graders? I see this as if COKE bought out PEPSI. Do you really think COKE wouldn't want to change their new acquisitions formula!! No, I don't like this.
Post 125 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics All comics are worthless until they aren’t, so I don’t think your argument has merit. Recent examples 1st Deadpool and 1st Harley.
Post 126 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Not seeing any positives from this. Usually with a takeover employees get shuffled and prices are changed.

have to say the same takeover usually means where not doing so good, ( i could be wrong) if a company is doing good why would you want to be taken over? i also hope the labels dont change, i hope that good thing come out of this.
Post 127 IP   flag post
@Rafel I think A lot of us are worried a little about those good things that separate CBCS from everyone else. Prices, customer service, free grader notes, etc

It would be a very bad move on Beckett's part to change any of those things, people would have no reason to stick around.
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
@BLBcomics All comics are worthless until they aren’t, so I don’t think your argument has merit. Recent examples 1st Deadpool and 1st Harley.

Ok, two funny books out of tens of thousands.

Query remains the same which remains unanswered which is why having a "registry" makes otherwise "worthless" comics certified in to 9.8 worth money?

I make no "argument" here. My thought re building Next Generation of comics fans buying the paper products remains very valid. History stipulates same

Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

Ok, two funny books out of tens of thousands.

Query remains the same which remains unanswered which is why having a "registry" makes otherwise "worthless" comics certified in to 9.8 worth money?

I make no "argument" here. My thought re building Next Generation of comics fans buying the paper products remains very valid. History stipulates same

In regards to the registry question, some books that don't really have much value can get a hefty price tag in a 9.8 because they are htf in that grade. People that go for top sets of certain runs really need those books so they'll pay a hefty premium for them. Hope that makes sense & answers your question
Post 130 IP   flag post
598060 327 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.