Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Good Morty Thead Redux- PLEASE Be Civil4650

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't bought one yet because I really dont want to risk buying a fake and that risk seems rather high right now. Thanks for the read and analysis by everyone in these 2 threads.
Post 51 • IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
A fourth Variant has just hit eBay. The bootleggers are getting smarter, much higher quality now and outrageous price as well.

The slipcover on this one the feet have been fixed but the digital UV is still missing (all first run Blu-rays had digital UV). The Blu-ray itself looks much better quality, and the book is back to single stapled.

The dead giveaway? It's coming from Vero Beach Florida lolol

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132371307184


How can you suddenly "up your game" on bootlegging mini comics in less than a week, and get it ready as such, too? 5 copies are not a bootlegging flag. My thoughts on this guy is that it's real, and he's got 3 others too. He's been searching the used market in Florida, grabbed some, and now is capitalizing in his search string even that CGC recognizes it as first appearance. If you look at his other items for sale, he's not a regular on ebay, and I believe he's just trying to cash out like most do when they see an opportunity. That's my opinion on this guy. I believe his are real, actually. Staples are singular, red square on back is bright red. Copy has plumbus manuals thrown in as well, which we all know they didn't come with both mini comics in season 1. The plumbus manuals come in season 2 only. This guy is untrustworthy and interesting, to say the least.

This guy is a bold faced liar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebay guy


Purchased from Amazon Prime * First Season Rick and Morty Blue Ray containing the mini comic "The Good Morty" and Plumbus Manual



WRT the link posted by SB, look at the fact the seller does not accept returns.

Than look at his eBay feedback.

Conclusion:

May be legit, but looks 99% sketchy to me.

The only thing that I would buy from this seller is a .99 cent incorrectly titled lot of silver age books at .99 cent buy it now's.😂😂😂

IOW, this seller should be avoided like the plague.
Post 52 • IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
If one of you guys have what you believe to be a real and counterfeit copy, you can send them to the office to my attention and I can do an analysis of them and give you a detailed report on the differences. I worked in the printing industry for almost 30 years. I have an eye for that stuff.


Shipping my fake one to @Scorpion first thing tomorrow morning. You should see that and his real one show up soon. Looking forward to your thoughts on them


Dude, ship it to Ricketts.

Not a forum member.
Post 53 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids I have *few fakes, I'm not worried about possibly losing one. It's better if Steve gets them both in the same package. Avoids mixup.

I wouldnt do this if I was the one with the real one 😁
Post 54 • IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s a few more pics from another order I got in today.

These were purchased on eBay and it stated they were all new and came with the comic in season one and the manual in season two. I received another five sets and once again they all came with both the comic and the manual. These sets were shrink wrapped though, unlike the other order that was purchased as used with the comics.







Post 55 • IP   flag post


Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
Continued...

The images with two Good Morty’s is a copy from today and a copy from one of the used sets for comparison.

If you can’t tell from the pic, all of the copies I’ve received all have two staples.






Post 56 • IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
If anyone has any questions please ask away. I unfortunately don’t have a single staple copy to compare them to but am hopeful that if we get enough images together we start to see some consistency.
Post 57 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Yours looks like mine.
Post 58 • IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
That's the #1 question that no one's answered satisfactorily: WHY? Why would bootleggers make fake copies of this book, which had no value? "They wanted to make it look authentic" isn't a satisfactory answer, and here's why: bootleggers don't care if it looks authentic. They only care that it WORKS. You're saying that tech is such that reasonable copies can be made. Ok, I don't disagree with that. However, that's still not EASY, and requires work. Simple add-on throwaway to make it appear to look more legit...? Someone would go to the trouble to make an obvious bootleg look more legitimate...? Why would someone go to that effort to make something that people would throw away...? "It's real, honest!"

You bring up a legit question here. Why would a DVD bootlegger add booklets to their product? The answer is actually quite straightforward: it's what they do!

Let's take a brief look at the history of bootlegging.

I am an old time Rock N’ Roller from a far and distant planet. I and a very close “friend” of mine have done extensive “research” over the years on the subject of bootlegging.

First off I'd like to say bootlegging is wrong and I would never advocate becoming one or even doing business with one.

In an ancient time long ago and far away, centuries before the Great Lord ELGore invented the internet there was the sacred book called Goldmine. Goldmine magazine was aimed at the audio music collector. It had music reviews, interviews, and historical articles of musical groups. It had many advertisements of rare and collectable recordings including many bootlegs. The ads ranged from one inch crudely typewritten to full out fancy layouts with coupons and clip out order forms. My friend was a huge Led Zeppelin fanatic and ordered many of their various live concerts. The product was wide and varied. From a basic WR-CD with a sharpie denoting the material recorded on the discs to all out professionally printed discs/sleeves and yes booklets/posters/add-ons. Many of which are better paper stock and looking than the Good Marty booklet.

We've all heard of or know someone that has told a lie so much that they actually have fooled themselves into believing it is true. A lot of bootleggers have done this and convinced themselves that they are running a legitimate business. Yes they actually compete against each other.

Fast forward to today and you can find big-wig Leggers that come off as legitimate businesses on their web stores. They take a pride in what product they produce and even offer money back guarantees! The booklets are simply one part of the product they offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Sorry, folks, but the burden of proof is always on the claimant. You claim the books are real, you have to prove it. You claim the books are fake, you have to prove it.

Which is why I stressed that my view on the subject is an opinion (which you duly noted) and not a statement of a known fact. I'm merely drawing one personal boundary line of Fake DVD = Fake booklet. Usually the simplest most straightforward explanation is the actual explanation. A real booklet in a bootlegged DVD takes too much twisty explaining and I'd lean towards the boss just telling one of his flunkies to print up a batch of the booklets as an add on.
Post 59 • IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
I dunno, S_S. I don't buy "because that's what they do" as an answer. I'm not even sure the "bootleg" DVDs are actually bootlegs. That seems to be an assumption that everyone has made because they fit (some of?) the criteria for being bootlegs. Not saying they aren't, and I am 92% sure they are, personally...but do we know for 100% they are?

It's one thing to bootleg something that is, as you put it "rare and collectable recordings including many bootlegs"...but those aren't bootlegs. They're counterfeits. There's a difference, and that difference is one of utility: bootleggers are only trying to make a product that WORKS, while counterfeiters are trying to make a product that FOOLS. We're not talking about collectibles when we talk about R&M Season 1 DVD...we're talking about making something that people would buy to watch.

Yes, I recognize that that's not a definition that may fit all situations, but that's generally how it works. You say there are a lot of bootleggers who take pride in their work, and try to put out the best quality possible. Of that, I have no doubt.

HOWEVER...that's NOT the case with the "bootleg" R&M DVDs, which do have the telltale signs of being bootlegs. After all, that's how these were "discovered" in the first place. If this was a "quality bootlegger", enough to make a Good Morty that would fool the casual collector...why was that quality not then applied to the actual DVD and DVD packaging...?

It's not so easy to wrap up. And I agree with you that the idea of a real booklet in a bootleg DVD is quite unusual. I don't know that it requires a lot of "twisty explaining", but I grant you that it is unlikely, at best.

This is what I can say for sure:

1. There are copies of Good Morty that are in what appear to be bootleg copies of the DVD.

2. There are copies of Good Morty that are substantively different from one another...different shades, for example, different staple count, etc.

3. Good Mortys weren't worth anything as collectibles, as far as anyone can tell, until Oct 9, about 2 weeks ago. There were no listings of it by itself on eBay prior to that, as far back as August, and no reason to think there would be any going back further.

4. Printing booklets/pamphlets/tracts that are close enough to "real" looking to raise doubt is not something that someone can do at Kinkos. It does require access to at least some relatively expensive printing machinery.
Post 60 • IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
On a side note my order from Amazon 3 Rick N Morty season 1 DVDs have arrived in my hot hands! I'm headed out to a poker tourney thus will not be opening the package at this time (I know... I'm kinda weird that way😎).

Questions abound: will it be the original DVDs from 2014/15 as they are advertised? If so, will luck run my way with the gift of a now widely coveted Good Morty mini-comic book?? Will they be boots??? Will the boots have fake booklet(s) included????? Only the Amazon Shadow knows!!!

Stay tuned! To be continued same Bat time, same Bat channel!!!!!😎
Post 61 • IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown

Get back to you later on your reply, Doc. Time to go win a tourney!!!!!😎💲💰💵
Post 62 • IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
If one of you guys have what you believe to be a real and counterfeit copy, you can send them to the office to my attention and I can do an analysis of them and give you a detailed report on the differences. I worked in the printing industry for almost 30 years. I have an eye for that stuff.


Shipping my fake one to @Scorpion first thing tomorrow morning. You should see that and his real one show up soon. Looking forward to your thoughts on them


Dude, ship it to Ricketts.

Not a forum member.


am not here to rip anyone off, @shrewbeer all ready PM me. I will ship out both when his gets here, if his, is real too. he will get back once Steve looks at them.
Post 63 • IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
If one of you guys have what you believe to be a real and counterfeit copy, you can send them to the office to my attention and I can do an analysis of them and give you a detailed report on the differences. I worked in the printing industry for almost 30 years. I have an eye for that stuff.


Shipping my fake one to @Scorpion first thing tomorrow morning. You should see that and his real one show up soon. Looking forward to your thoughts on them


Dude, ship it to Ricketts.

Not a forum member.


am not here to rip anyone off, @shrewbeer all ready PM me. I will ship out both when his gets here, if his, is real too. he will get back once Steve looks at them.


I was not implying nor suggesting that you were "here to rip anyone off".

My point was that the more copies of this book that he has to compare in hand at once, the more subtle differences he will be able to see.
Post 64 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I am astounded and amazed.

Some of you are buying multiple copies of booklets you believe are fakes. Is that "just in case"? Do you have money to burn?

Some of you are buying multiple sets of DVD's, even though you believe they are fakes. Is that because you have money to burn? Or is it because of "just maybe" you might get a non-fake booklet inside?

Some of you already have copies of what may or may not be fake booklets, and the allure of having the real thing is causing you to fight for your booklets respect and genuine status. Those booklets y'all have are probably fake, but mine is genuine. I know because....well, I just know. It has to be because that is what I thought I got from the get-go.

And some of you wonder out loud why in the world someone would go to so much trouble just for what appears to be a small amount of money. Let me tell you this. I used to pickup street walkers (hookers) on the sidewalks, for a living. And believe me when I tell you this. It is amazing what some people will do for five bucks. Things I would not do for a million or more dollars.

A little advice. Quit sending money to these scam artists until you find out what is what. Don't be blinded by greed.

But again. It's your money. Do what you want with it. If you want to support criminals, go ahead.

I love rare comic books. But thank God the Rick and Morty fever never grabbed me by the xxxxxx (wallet).
Post 65 • IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
If one of you guys have what you believe to be a real and counterfeit copy, you can send them to the office to my attention and I can do an analysis of them and give you a detailed report on the differences. I worked in the printing industry for almost 30 years. I have an eye for that stuff.


Shipping my fake one to @Scorpion first thing tomorrow morning. You should see that and his real one show up soon. Looking forward to your thoughts on them


Dude, ship it to Ricketts.

Not a forum member.


am not here to rip anyone off, @shrewbeer all ready PM me. I will ship out both when his gets here, if his, is real too. he will get back once Steve looks at them.



Агент Скорпион,

Vashe imya na etom forume otpravlyayet krasnyy flag amerikantsam. My vse znayem vashu blizost' k rok-gruppe Scorpions.Yes. Aneriany mogut vas ochen' khorosho raspoznat'. Vy provalili nashego Dorogogo Lidera Putina .

....Tovarishch, vy dolzhny deystvovat' tayno, yesli my khotim razdavit' demokratiyu. Volya prezidenta Putina dolzhna byt' provedena nashey...
....yego sobaka dolzhna vypolnyat' svoyu rol'. Nasha osnovnaya direktiva - neskazannyye milliardy dollarov vizy, tovarishch Tillerson. Vasha zhadnost' po etoy glupoy skheme nozhki obuvi unichtozhit vsekh nas !!!!
Post 66 • IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I am astounded and amazed.

Some of you are buying multiple copies of booklets you believe are fakes. Is that "just in case"? Do you have money to burn?

Some of you are buying multiple sets of DVD's, even though you believe they are fakes. Is that because you have money to burn? Or is it because of "just maybe" you might get a non-fake booklet inside?

Some of you already have copies of what may or may not be fake booklets, and the allure of having the real thing is causing you to fight for your booklets respect and genuine status. Those booklets y'all have are probably fake, but mine is genuine. I know because....well, I just know. It has to be because that is what I thought I got from the get-go.

And some of you wonder out loud why in the world someone would go to so much trouble just for what appears to be a small amount of money. Let me tell you this. I used to pickup street walkers (hookers) on the sidewalks, for a living. And believe me when I tell you this. It is amazing what some people will do for five bucks. Things I would not do for a million or more dollars.

A little advice. Quit sending money to these scam artists until you find out what is what. Don't be blinded by greed.

But again. It's your money. Do what you want with it. If you want to support criminals, go ahead.

I love rare comic books. But thank God the Rick and Morty fever never grabbed me by the xxxxxx (wallet).


I cannot take this topic seriously anymore, either.

As evidenced by my last post, you will have to use an Russian to English translation thing , but I cracked myself up writing it.
😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣
Post 67 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Some of you are buying multiple sets of DVD's, even though you believe they are fakes. Is that because you have money to burn? Or is it because of "just maybe" you might get a non-fake booklet inside?


eh, it's only money. you will always get more.


Post 68 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Some of you are buying multiple sets of DVD's, even though you believe they are fakes. Is that because you have money to burn? Or is it because of "just maybe" you might get a non-fake booklet inside?



lol mostly as I want to be able to compare the types of fakes/reals out there. And yeah, some of those double-staple DVD ones might just be real. The only ones that I know for sure are fake are the bluray double staples.
Post 69 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
The only ones that I know for sure


You do not know for sure.
Post 70 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
The only ones that I know for sure


You do not know for sure.


Yes I do

lol ok. I'm 99.99% sure those are fakes. 50% the double staple DVDs are fake. 0% the Digital UV blurays are fake.
Post 71 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I'm 99.99% sure those are fakes. 50% the double staple DVDs are fake. 0% the Digital UV blurays are fake.




Post 72 • IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak

I'll add my .12cents to the mix. I'm in it for the puzzle it presents. Been wired that way since very young. I doubt my purchase will solve this mystery, but it may give another data point. Greedy? Such a stiff word. Poker player and % type gambling is something I do and am slightly profitable at, considering my low stakes level. So I popped $45 to land the infamous Good Morty comic. Probably a low % bet but hey no biggie. After all GM is the next Tec 27, right?😎
Post 73 • IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
@conditionfreak

I'll add my .12cents to the mix. I'm in it for the puzzle it presents. Been wired that way since very young. I doubt my purchase will solve this mystery, but it may give another data point. Greedy? Such a stiff word. Poker player and % type gambling is something I do and am slightly profitable at, considering my low stakes level. So I popped $45 to land the infamous Good Morty comic. Probably a low % bet but hey no biggie. After all GM is the next Tec 27, right?😎



Less talking, more posting of pics.
Post 74 • IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I'm 99.99% sure those are fakes. 50% the double staple DVDs are fake. 0% the Digital UV blurays are fake.






KM:

I give this post of meme reply of your response to SB's absolute certainty..... the Official CAK Stamp Of Approval.

You are hereby knighted, good sir.

All of thy past transgressions are thusly, rendered into the shadows of oblivion, via the touch of Hela's right hand.
Post 75 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
These were in the PO box today. Same dark brown border, clear disks, but *feels* and looks a bit shady. The slipcovers are very good quality, I wouldnt normally think they were fake.

Im trying to get all three so I can do an unboxing of all at once. Shipping one of these good mortys off to Steve though. We shall see.


Post 76 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
but u haven't even opened it yet?



Post 77 • IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
@conditionfreak

I'll add my .12cents to the mix. I'm in it for the puzzle it presents. Been wired that way since very young. I doubt my purchase will solve this mystery, but it may give another data point. Greedy? Such a stiff word. Poker player and % type gambling is something I do and am slightly profitable at, considering my low stakes level. So I popped $45 to land the infamous Good Morty comic. Probably a low % bet but hey no biggie. After all GM is the next Tec 27, right?😎



Less talking, more posting of pics.


Heh... got you... late last night (profitable!) poker session, and running around multiple errands today. Now a normal person would have instantly ripped the package open to at least see shrink wrap and production date.... that ain't me! Will do the deed when I get home this evening....

same Bat channel.....😎
Post 78 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 79 • IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke I ripped one open just to make sure the Morty's were in there, will post pics later I'm still on the road
Post 80 • IP   flag post
139145 571 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.
destitute