Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Good Morty Thead Redux- PLEASE Be Civil4650

Collector Waddly private msg quote post Address this user
Just received Blu-Ray of Season 1 off eBay with Good Morty Inside. See hi-res pics. These are from source listed on earlier forum where they are selling for $11.50 each.

Post 26 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
So that one has no feet but text under Beth, and lighter shade of hues on back of box. Very confusing.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Waddly private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to further obfuscate the situation. I could take further detailed pics if needed.
Post 28 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
If one of you guys have what you believe to be a real and counterfeit copy, you can send them to the office to my attention and I can do an analysis of them and give you a detailed report on the differences. I worked in the printing industry for almost 30 years. I have an eye for that stuff.
Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for chiming in on this Steve. Have any of these been graded yet? Seems like the conversation over these has been all over the place.
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
You can also send them to me. I can check them with my digital microscope can see every bindery/printing flaw. I also work in the printing industry and good tat.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
So I'm going to toss an opinion out there based on a complete reading of both threads. When you zoom in, this picture of the interior of the Good Morty book posted by Waddly is very interesting. The comic panels look off centered and the stapling looks crooked. Staples also appear over sized for their purpose. I've seen printing processes and shops. This book with todays technology can be reproduced much better than Waddly's copy. With high resolution scanners, CAD type software, and actually very small tweaks from a basic photoshop type software a lot of people would have the technology to make an accurate reproduction of this simple book - especially bootleggers. I also can't wrap my head around the idea that real books made their way into clearly bootlegged DVDs. Motive of the the bootleggers? Simple add on throw away to make the bootlegs appear a bit more legit.

Trust me in my very high respect for everyone posting regularly in these forums. The level of intelligence (despite the snarky, snarling, and sniping) is far above average here. Having said that, my opinion is fake DVD = fake Good Morty mini-comic.

Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn
So I'm going to toss an opinion out there based on a complete reading of both threads. When you zoom in, this picture of the interior of the Good Morty book posted by Waddly is very interesting. The comic panels look off centered and the stapling looks crooked. Staples also appear over sized for their purpose. I've seen printing processes and shops. This book with todays technology can be reproduced much better than Waddly's copy. With high resolution scanners, CAD type software, and actually very small tweaks from a basic photoshop type software a lot of people would have the technology to make an accurate reproduction of this simple book - especially bootleggers. I also can't wrap my head around the idea that real books made their way into clearly bootlegged DVDs. Motive of the the bootleggers? Simple add on throw away to make the bootlegs appear a bit more legit.

Trust me in my very high respect for everyone posting regularly in these forums. The level of intelligence (despite the snarky, snarling, and sniping) is far above average here. Having said that, my opinion is fake DVD = fake Good Morty mini-comic.

Yep. Producing fakes of those booklets would not be a huge, time consuming, costly undertaking.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510

Yep. Producing fakes of those booklets would not be a huge, time consuming, costly undertaking.

I fully believe this puzzle will eventually solved to everyones satisfaction, even if it takes some time to sort it out. I've seen basic print operations do pretty amazing things with comic books and other printed material. Home grown comic books and local comic book publishers which most big cities have. And this was a few years back with less sophisticated computers and printing equipment. I'll keep an open mind and if my opinion is eventually proven wrong I will acknowledge it. For now I draw at least one border line in the discussion.
Post 34 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
A fourth Variant has just hit eBay. The bootleggers are getting smarter, much higher quality now and outrageous price as well.

The slipcover on this one the feet have been fixed but the digital UV is still missing (all first run Blu-rays had digital UV). The Blu-ray itself looks much better quality, and the book is back to single stapled.

The dead giveaway? It's coming from Vero Beach Florida lolol

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132371307184
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
i will be sending my in next week to CBCS so will see what happens. am sure i have a real one, as i have posted pic of it, in the other forms on page 9 . go down till you see my post.
clickable text
Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
i will be sending my in next week to CBCS so will see what happens. am sure i have a real one, as i have posted pic of it, in the other forms on page 9 . go down till you see my post.
clickable text

I know you have a real one, the only one posted so far that's definitely legit. I have a few that I KNOW are fake, would be happy to send one your way so Steve can see what's what
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
shrewbeer, PM you.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

When I first saw this last night I decided to think on it. My first initial thoughts were the right panel does look too close to the edge on the right page. Also, the staples do look wonky.

Can ANYONE open their fake or real one to the centerfold and take some matching photos please? Thank you
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
A fourth Variant has just hit eBay. The bootleggers are getting smarter, much higher quality now and outrageous price as well.

The slipcover on this one the feet have been fixed but the digital UV is still missing (all first run Blu-rays had digital UV). The Blu-ray itself looks much better quality, and the book is back to single stapled.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132371307184

How can you suddenly "up your game" on bootlegging mini comics in less than a week, and get it ready as such, too? 5 copies are not a bootlegging flag. My thoughts on this guy is that it's real, and he's got 3 others too. He's been searching the used market in Florida, grabbed some, and now is capitalizing in his search string even that CGC recognizes it as first appearance. If you look at his other items for sale, he's not a regular on ebay, and I believe he's just trying to cash out like most do when they see an opportunity. That's my opinion on this guy. I believe his are real, actually. Staples are singular, red square on back is bright red. Copy has plumbus manuals thrown in as well, which we all know they didn't come with both mini comics in season 1. The plumbus manuals come in season 2 only. This guy is untrustworthy and interesting, to say the least.

This guy is a bold faced liar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebay guy

Purchased from Amazon Prime * First Season Rick and Morty Blue Ray containing the mini comic "The Good Morty" and Plumbus Manual

Post 40 IP   flag post
Waddly, your feet are gross.

Post 41 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like the search continues for the one, true Morty.
Post 42 IP   flag post

Post 43 IP   flag post
Real centerfold:

Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I appreciate this opinion, and you may be right. However, as I've said before, you'd have to explain the motive for someone to go to ANY trouble to produce throwaway inserts, much less inserts that are of high enough quality to make the obvious detection of such fakes fairly difficult.

That's the #1 question that no one's answered satisfactorily: WHY? Why would bootleggers make fake copies of this book, which had no value? "They wanted to make it look authentic" isn't a satisfactory answer, and here's why: bootleggers don't care if it looks authentic. They only care that it WORKS. You're saying that tech is such that reasonable copies can be made. Ok, I don't disagree with that. However, that's still not EASY, and requires work. Simple add-on throwaway to make it appear to look more legit...? Someone would go to the trouble to make an obvious bootleg look more legitimate...? Why would someone go to that effort to make something that people would throw away...? "It's real, honest!"

Not saying it's not POSSIBLE...just that it's more unlikely than some of the wackier theories that have been thrown out there.

Sorry, folks, but the burden of proof is always on the claimant. You claim the books are real, you have to prove it. You claim the books are fake, you have to prove it.

That said, someone said in the other thread that they didn't see the point of "making the same argument over and over." On the contrary...until there's proof one way or the other, that "same argument" needs to keep being brought up to the people who make conclusions either way.

It is this dogged determination to get to the bottom that usually answers these problems. People ought not be offended at skepticism; that's the heart of scientific research. Questions are good, falsifiability is necessary, and both considering AND poking holes in theories is useful in getting to the truth.

Also remember: we KNOW Cerebus #1 is counterfeited, but unless you can compare the real and the fake side by side, it's hard to wrap one's head around it. Once you have it in hand, it's easy to see...but trying to describe it in writing for people who can't see it in hand is much more difficult.
Post 45 IP   flag post
As an aside, I'd beware of those who write in such a way as to seem like they have answers and know what they're talking about. There are a handful of people...and some would accuse me of being in that group; are they right?...who post nonsense, but because they do it with such force of personality, and they vigorously attack those who dare challenge them, they shut down the conversation.

My advice is always the same: take what no one posts at face value, not my posts, not anyone's. Challenge. Debate. Search for answers. Those who are genuinely interested in the truth and learning will not be offended that someone corrected them. Look for clues: is someone using aggressive, hostile, or dismissive language in response to a challenge? That's probably a person who is only interested in their version of things. And since these folks make these same counter-accusations, critical thinking is necessary to sort out who's full of dung and who is not.

No one is above being legitimately challenged (as opposed to those who challenge just to advance an agenda, which is also usually obvious); not me, not you, not anyone.

/bloviating
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:

How can you suddenly "up your game" on bootlegging mini comics in less than a week, and get it ready as such, too?

Bingo.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
How can you suddenly "up your game" on bootlegging mini comics in less than a week, and get it ready as such, too? 5 copies are not a bootlegging flag. My thoughts on this guy is that it's real, and he's got 3 others too. He's been searching the used market in Florida, grabbed some, and now is capitalizing in his search string even that CGC recognizes it as first appearance. If you look at his other items for sale, he's not a regular on ebay, and I believe he's just trying to cash out like most do when they see an opportunity. That's my opinion on this guy. I believe his are real, actually. Staples are singular, red square on back is bright red. Copy has plumbus manuals thrown in as well, which we all know they didn't come with both mini comics in season 1. The plumbus manuals come in season 2 only. This guy is untrustworthy and interesting, to say the least.

lmao none of it makes sense! Wrong case, wrong manual, but right dvd and comic? This whole situation is just plain weird...
Post 48 IP   flag post

When looking at these 2 side by side, there is a printing difference in them. I think the real one has darker hues and shades in its printing quality on the paper, and it's centered properly when you inspect the edges of the book. The staple is slightly smaller, too. Both pages are squared off from the center, as it should be. The one on top looks off, lighter hues, 2 staples, off centerline, etc. When you inspect the staples, there is a gap between the 2 staples. The one with one staple there is no gap in the closed staple.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
If one of you guys have what you believe to be a real and counterfeit copy, you can send them to the office to my attention and I can do an analysis of them and give you a detailed report on the differences. I worked in the printing industry for almost 30 years. I have an eye for that stuff.

Shipping my fake one to @Scorpion first thing tomorrow morning. You should see that and his real one show up soon. Looking forward to your thoughts on them
Post 50 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't bought one yet because I really dont want to risk buying a fake and that risk seems rather high right now. Thanks for the read and analysis by everyone in these 2 threads.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebay guy

Purchased from Amazon Prime * First Season Rick and Morty Blue Ray containing the mini comic "The Good Morty" and Plumbus Manual

WRT the link posted by SB, look at the fact the seller does not accept returns.

Than look at his eBay feedback.

Conclusion:

May be legit, but looks 99% sketchy to me.

The only thing that I would buy from this seller is a .99 cent incorrectly titled lot of silver age books at .99 cent buy it now's.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

IOW, this seller should be avoided like the plague.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts

Shipping my fake one to @Scorpion first thing tomorrow morning. You should see that and his real one show up soon. Looking forward to your thoughts on them

Dude, ship it to Ricketts.

Not a forum member.
Post 53 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids I have *few fakes, I'm not worried about possibly losing one. It's better if Steve gets them both in the same package. Avoids mixup.

I wouldnt do this if I was the one with the real one 😁
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s a few more pics from another order I got in today.

These were purchased on eBay and it stated they were all new and came with the comic in season one and the manual in season two. I received another five sets and once again they all came with both the comic and the manual. These sets were shrink wrapped though, unlike the other order that was purchased as used with the comics.

Post 55 IP   flag post
601229 571 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.