Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Good Morty Thead Redux- PLEASE Be Civil4650

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Obviously it's speculation when you don't know which one is authentic, is it not? It's strange to even halfheartedly debate this.
Post 326 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
No, It's strange that you guys can't tell the difference now that we do know what to look for.
Post 327 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
No, It's strange that you guys can't tell the difference now that we do know what to look for.

O'REALLY? You have decided what is what, and what isn't what.

Maybe you should give CBCS and CGC a call. Although one would think they have read your thoughts on this subject.

You may be spot on, or you may have missed something. I don't know yet. And that is where I (and CBCS and CGC) are at today.

I do applaud the work, effort and money you put into this. It is appreciated by the entire community. Really. And, odds are your conclusions are correct. But let's face it. The ONLY people who's determinations from matter, is the big two grading companies. They make the labels.
Post 328 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone with extras, sent a black haired child with one staple to PGX yet?

That would be interesting. And relatively quick.
Post 329 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
The ONLY people who's determinations from matter, is the big two grading companies. They make the labels.

Yeah, I know. Can't argue that.
Post 330 IP   flag post

At this point, until a stance is made, I'm not subbing my real one yet
Post 331 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
This book has been out for three years now, a big grading company should a have their own genuine specimen to grade off of by now.
Post 332 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
This book has been out for three years now, a big grading company should a have their own genuine specimen to grade off of by now.

Prior to 10/10/2017 nobody even knew about the Good Morty booklet. If you are a big Rick and Morty fan, you know about it and seek out the season 1 dvd sets like I did...but no one knew yet about it being the true first appearance though, either. There was no desire from the grading companies or thought of submitting this as a legit comic book.
Post 333 IP   flag post
Collector Garnett21k private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck

I completely agree! If you're the supposed experts on grading and authentication, why on earth have you not foreseen this?

They dropped the ball! Take CGC for instance, they knew about this since they consciously left out "First Appearance of Rick and Morty" on R&M #1! You can't tell me that they been waiting to hear from Adult Swim and Warner Bros for the past 3 years!

As far as too easy to reproduce, I call complete and utter BS! The paper stock,fiber, the ink, the print quality, the alignment, artifacts. There are plenty of things that would give away the fakes from the real McCoy/Morty! Do these things take time and effort to find these "markers", sure!

And guys, I get that there's a ton of stuff to keep up with on their end, but this isn't exactly an insignificant thing! They have had ample time to look into this and figure this out! I mean, just look at all the evidence you guys have gathered here in a fairly short amount of time comparatively! Not to mention, you have at least two grading companies who have industry experts, communities and all the resources at their disposal! Are you kidding me? They dropped the ball! Fact!

With all that said, hopefully they eventually gather enough info to sort it all out! I feel that KaptainMyke et al are spot on and that the the authentic version with one staple brown hair rich dark print bright red logo are in fact 100% genuine. I do however, am willing to concede that it's hard to completely rule out the rest if all you have to go by are the books for grading, even though there are plenty of evidence that show they only existed after 2016! Cause of course, the ones that come with the bootleg DVDs/BDs I wouldn't trust with a 10ft pole or at all!

I get CGC and CBCS's not wanting to grade them at the moment given they dropped the ball, I just feel that they should have anticipated it and quite honestly should have had acquired their own samples the first instance they knew about it!
Post 334 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I feel I have to point out something fairly obvious to me. This is a BOOKLET that came with a DVD or Blu-Ray!! Has CGC or CBCS EVER graded a DVD booklet?? I honestly don't know, but I don't recall ever seeing it.

My point about this is this - those of you who are quick to blame CGC and CBCS for not knowing about this three years ago and being on top of it, why should they have cared or known about it three years ago?? There may be Simpson's DVD booklets out there also. I have no clue. I don't collect DVD booklets. I think you guys are being WAY too harsh in your judgement. That's my two cents on this.

KaptainMyke and his crew have done a great job of examining all the evidence and providing a logical analysis on the subject. If CGC and CBCS don't want to risk their reputations on his findings, I can't say I totally blame them. However, I think he did a great service to those collectors who are into RAM. Kudos, KaptainMyke and crew!!
Post 335 IP   flag post
In CGC's case, omitting "First Appearance of Rick and Morty" from R&M #1 seemed like a conscious decision due to them being aware that The Good Morty was the first appearance in a comic.

If that was indeed the case, then I don't feel like I'm being too harsh on it.

As far as them not wanting to risk their reputation, I'm with you on that and that's fair! I'm just of the opinion that knowing what was said and what was a conscious decision to omit the line there, it was only a matter of time until one did get submitted for grading and they should have been more prepared to know the difference!

As far as movie inserts go, I know they have graded Spider-Man 300 minis, but I'm not aware whether or not there's been other instances.

I mean, how else would they know to leave it off R&M #1?!? In CBCS's case they did think R&M #1 was the first appearance. Only thing is that Both grading services made it sound like it wasn't going to be an issue since both made it seem like they'll be happy to grade them once someone actually submits them to grade.
Post 336 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

It’s not a DVD booklet Jesse. It’s not the most common style of comic being a Chick Tract comic, but it is indeed a comic.

Personally I have no beef with CBCS’s stance at the moment. I do hope they continue to do more research though before making it a permanent decision.

As far as CGC, we’ll have to see what they decide after they are done looking into it. I’m not sure why it’s being assumed they have known about it for three years though. I have plenty of books that are also first appearance #1’s that don’t state it as the first appearance. So I’m not too sure why that’s being tossed around as the reason why it’s not on the label.

Has CGC made a statement anywhere in regards to why RAM #1’s are not labeled as the first appearance?
Post 337 IP   flag post

Post 338 IP   flag post
@Garnett21k

I’m not following, that certainly doesn’t say they have known about it. I suspect they had no idea it existed just like several of us fans in this thread.
Post 339 IP   flag post
@Garnett21k I'm not sure why CGC chose the wording they used on R&M #1. But it would seem reasonable to me that when they got their first copy in, they contacted the creators and they were like - well, we did do a Chick Tract type insert that was in our DVD and Blu-Rays. so, CGC, figured better safe than sorry and just went with the wording the went with.

@IntoAnother I will meet you half way on this. It is a Chick Tract style insert that was included in the DVDs and Blu-rays. "Booklet" is not correct. However "tract" really isn't correct either. Tracts are usually handed out for free when first published. They are usually religious or political in nature. So, IMO, I would say a Chick Tract style insert would be a proper description. Booklet IS too general.
Post 340 IP   flag post
@Jessie_O - That's fair!
Post 341 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I feel I have to point out something fairly obvious to me. This is a BOOKLET that came with a DVD or Blu-Ray!! Has CGC or CBCS EVER graded a DVD booklet?? I honestly don't know, but I don't recall ever seeing it.

Voila, a DVD booklet.

Post 342 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O

I can’t argue with that view on it. I think it’s a tough book for both companies.

As soon as I got my first copy in I was immediately skeptical that it was certain that either company was going to be grading them. That’s why I felt it was important for us to do as much work as we could to help out. I could easily see both companies wiping their hands of it after seeing what we all stumbled into, and I know those of us that care don’t want to see that happen.
Post 343 IP   flag post
@Garnett21k @CaptainCanuck OK. I had forgotten that one. There are so many Spider-man 300 comics and homages out there that I got burned out on that cover. Honestly, it didn't really impress me that much the first time.

But back on point, that is a reprint of a hot comic with an established character that was advertised to come in a Wal-mart exclusive edition. Not exactly the same thing as the Good Morty. But, I do stand corrected!!
Post 344 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoAnother
@Jesse_O

I can’t argue with that view on it. I think it’s a tough book for both companies.

As soon as I got my first copy in I was immediately skeptical that it was certain that either company was going to be grading them. That’s why I felt it was important for us to do as much work as we could to help out. I could easily see both companies wiping their hands of it after seeing what we all stumbled into, and I know those of us that care don’t want to see that happen.

I completely get that!!
Post 345 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O

A lil more to ponder.

Here are some old cereal box give aways that have been graded (without the significance of a first appearance).

Post 346 IP   flag post
I have gone through a similar experience with CGC in the past when attempting to sub an early The Tick ashcan. They won’t grade them because they really are way too easy to reproduce so I respect the decision, but with this book I’m hopeful that won’t be the case.

Now that partly may be the fan in me rooting for my “team” but I won’t be too upset if neither company grades them. I’ll still be happy with the copies I own.
Post 347 IP   flag post
I take stance that 2015 Oni Press Rick and Morty #1 comic book is the first appearance. I think this whole thing is nonsense! And that's coming from ME!

But, a comic book is a comic book. It's a one staple comic book. One that was trolling us all from the get-go , inside first runs of a dvd/blu-ray set nobody ever suspected would become highly sought after and the subject of dubious fakery.

LOOK AT ME
Post 348 IP   flag post
@CaptainCanuck Oh yeah, There are a TON of oddball sized comics out there. A LOT of giveaways - shoes - burger places - bread companies, etc. But it took YEARS for these to become collectible. But when you look at this from the stand point of a grading company, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with every single type of publication that is printed in a comic book fashion. Heck, there are even Military manuals done in a comic book form!!! They need to keep up with the main stream form of comic books and publishers. To expect them to know about ALL comic book style publications when they come out is not realistic.

Also, does everyone realize that these companies have to input each new comic and all pertinent information into their own database? Each new issue or new comic that they receive has to be researched and then entered into their own proprietary database. And yes, they have full time employees whose job it is to do that, comic research and data input.
Post 349 IP   flag post
Quote:
I have gone through a similar experience with CGC in the past when attempting to sub an early The Tick ashcan. They won’t grade them because they really are way too easy to reproduce

You just answered what will exactly happen, then. Thank you

And that will probably squash the need or desire for the book, my article will be worthless, and I would have questioned the last 3 weeks wasted of my life.
Post 350 IP   flag post
Sometimes I think are all fake and Justin and Dan have been laughing at us for weeks after waiting years for this moment.
Post 351 IP   flag post
Quote:
Sometimes I think are all fake and Justin and Dan have been laughing at us for weeks after waiting years for this moment.

They are not that complicated. It takes them 3 months to politely and respectfully argue over one joke on a singular episode.
Post 352 IP   flag post
wut is that on your avatar? is that chicken? is that a wing dipped in wing sauce?
Post 353 IP   flag post
Quote:

IKR!!! All fake! Justin and Dan! We're not worthy! *Bows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
wut is that on your avatar? is that chicken? is that a wing dipped in wing sauce?

I'd like to think it's a drummet in Szechuan Sauce! 😂
Post 354 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke

Don’t be so quick to jump ship just yet. The Tick ashcans can be made by just about anyone with a printer, seriously.

I personally do not think the Good Morty’s can be reproduced so easily, that’s why I’m hopeful. 🤞
Post 355 IP   flag post
600895 571 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.